went down the bookies earlier...

elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
call me stupid but was going to put a bet on the man city-fulham game this weekend to be a draw. :eek:

had seen that it was about 6-1 on betfair. what do you think the price down the bookies was? 7-2!!!! :mad:

thought what a waste of time. to be honest 6-1 probably isn't value either given how rarely city drop points at home. but 7-2? you're having a giraffe!

no wonder high street shops are closing left right and center if this is the "value" they offer.

also thought about a bet on spurs to beat man u; but saw they were 13/8 instead of the 2-1 widely available on betfair. (sorry this isn't an advert for that company) :p

even with the 5 percent commision you have to pay online the difference in odds is enormous. basically the bookies just conned themselves out of money from me there (although doubtless there are plenty of mugs still willing to back at their prices.)

Comments

• Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    call me stupid but was going to put a bet on the man city-fulham game this weekend to be a draw. :eek:

had seen that it was about 6-1 on betfair. what do you think the price down the bookies was? 7-2!!!! :mad:

thought what a waste of time. to be honest 6-1 probably isn't value either given how rarely city drop points at home. but 7-2? you're having a giraffe!

no wonder high street shops are closing left right and center if this is the "value" they offer.

also thought about a bet on spurs to beat man u; but saw they were 13/8 instead of the 2-1 widely available on betfair. (sorry this isn't an advert for that company) :p

even with the 5 percent commision you have to pay online the difference in odds is enormous. basically the bookies just conned themselves out of money from me there (although doubtless there are plenty of mugs still willing to back at their prices.)

So you're basing you're entire opinion on the entire highstreet on one betting shop?

What if the betting shop is online too? Would you say the same about online shops?

Hate to break it you, but bettting is a mugs game full stop. There's only one winner and that's the bookie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All my friends use betfair for most of their betting.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    So you're basing you're entire opinion on the entire highstreet on one betting shop?

What if the betting shop is online too? Would you say the same about online shops?

hate to break it you, but bettting is a mugs game full stop. There's only one winner and that's the bookie.[/QUOTE]

never heard that argument before... :rolleyes:

trust me, most bookies are like that. I understand they have to pay overheads and so on, so need to operate on a larger margin. but some of the prices are just appalling.

most if not all of high street shops have an online presence, but all the odds are the same there of course.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not "went down the bookies earlier..."

It might be "went down to the bookies earlier..."
    or perhaps "went down past the bookies earlier..."
    or even "went down on the bookies earlier..." :eek:

but never "went down the bookies earlier..." :D
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is round my gaff :D
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we get that over again in english???
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Online bookies always offer better value, but with Betfair their is a bet minimum, and a deposit minimum. Thats the only draw back imo.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you need to see all 3 prices to see what the overround is.

however

7/2 works out at stake 22 to return 100

6/1 works at out at about stake 15 to return 100 (net of 5%).

so betfair is about 7% better on the face it.

bookies tend to price football at about 15% profit don't they - I expect betfair are closer to 7 or 8.

They show the overround in the % calculation at the top of the odds column.

PS - its quite hard working out the overround from bookies fractional odds (or even decimal odds). I think they ought to price decimal, but in terms of the stake to return 100. Once you get used to the idea, you can then easily see the overround.

The Grand National is terrible for it. All the 100-1 shots still add up to 60% or more overround.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not "went down the bookies earlier..."

It might be "went down to the bookies earlier..."
    or perhaps "went down past the bookies earlier..."
    or even "went down on the bookies earlier..." :eek:

but never "went down the bookies earlier..." :D

au contraire.

I have often "gone down the bookies". Don't you ever "go up town"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    You'd have been throwing your money away anyway, spurs are never gonna beat united ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chicharit0 wrote: »
    You'd have been throwing your money away anyway, spurs are never gonna beat united ;)

But he wanted to bet on City v Fulham.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Just as a matter of interest, to you bookies regulars, have you ever seen a woman in a bookies? (that is a punter, not one behind the counter)
    The reason I ask is, I pass about half a dozen on my way to work and although I have never been in one myself, ever since they decided to make it easy to look in through the windows, one thing I have noticed is that you never seem to see women punters.
    Is it the male dominated environment that puts them off do you think?
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as a matter of interest, to you bookies regulars, have you ever seen a woman in a bookies? (that is a punter, not one behind the counter)
    The reason I ask is, I pass about half a dozen on my way to work and although I have never been in one myself, ever since they decided to make it easy to look in through the windows, one thing I have noticed is that you never seem to see women punters.
    Is it the male dominated environment that puts them off do you think?

I often see woman in the bookies, mainly on the roulette/slots/card machines!
    Bookies are alot more cleaner and woman friendly now.