Mud

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
Forum Member
✭✭
Out today.

It's going to be a tough sell for Matthew McConaughey's latest film - especially the week cinemas will be swamped with audiences wanting to boldly go where every Star Trek film has gone before - but this excellent drama shouldn't be overlooked.
OK it will be, but it shouldn't.

Although it has McConaughey down as the main lead, he isn't the star of the film, its two young boys are. That's not to say that McConaughey doesn't put in a good performance - it's actually one of his best - but his two young co-stars steal the show.

Director Jeff Nichols (Take Shelter) delivers a beautiful Mark Twain-esque story with a modern Stand by Me twist that's just a pure joy to watch from beginning to end.

Highly recommended.

Review here.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see this but it's on Limited Release so it's not at my local Cineworld as yet. Can't see it being popular enough, especially right now, to get a wider release, especially to Wakefield. (usually it's Castleford/Bradford/Sheffield that get the expanded releases).
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I hadn't noticed this one at all, probably because i saw the name Matthew McConaughey and immediately thought 'talentless eye candy for tedious rom-coms', as you do.

However, I caught the review on R4's Front Row yesterday and it sounded pretty good. One thing everyone seems to agree on is that McConaughey can actually act and rather well at that.

The only negative things I've heard so far is that it rather lays on the great American novel references (Huckleberry Finn being the obvious one) and that the direction is self-consciously playing to the Academy. However, these felt like minor gripes and I'm hoping to see it tomorrow - really looking forward to it..
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from seeing this, a really terrific little film. It's like the love child of Stand By Me and The Fugitive with a hint of Huck Finn thrown in for good measure. McConaughey was outstanding I must say. A wonderfully character driven piece. Go so it if you get the chance! A very rare 10/10 for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Not seen the film, but the title is terribly uninviting.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Just back from seeing this, a really terrific little film. It's like the love child of Stand By Me and The Fugitive with a hint of Huck Finn thrown in for good measure. McConaughey was outstanding I must say. A wonderfully character driven piece. Go so it if you get the chance! A very rare 10/10 for me.

Fantastic, isn't it? McConaughey was a revelation and the 2 child actors were also excellent. Great to see Joe Don Baker on the screen, even if he had only a few minutes' screen time. I also thought Ray McKinnon turned in a terrific performance as Senior, Ellis' dad. Angry about his life falling apart but dignified at the same time. Shades of The Grapes of Wrath.

For the first half hour or so, I couldn't work out which time period it was set in. There were no mobile phones or computers, the clothes and cars could have been from the 1960s or the 1970s etc. It was only when there was a close-up of a calendar, attached to a fridge that I knew it was contemporary.

Anyway, marvellous film and I can almost forgive the US film industry for constantly churning out noisy CGI drivel if it can produce the occasional gem like Mud.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked "Tiger Feet" best.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also thought Ray McKinnon turned in a terrific performance as Senior, Ellis' dad. Angry about his life falling apart but dignified at the same time. Shades of The Grapes of Wrath.

Yes, I agree, it was a quietly powerful performance. Really all around the cast were super.
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,600
    Forum Member
    Fantastic, isn't it? McConaughey was a revelation and the 2 child actors were also excellent. Great to see Joe Don Baker on the screen, even if he had only a few minutes' screen time. I also thought Ray McKinnon turned in a terrific performance as Senior, Ellis' dad. Angry about his life falling apart but dignified at the same time. Shades of The Grapes of Wrath.

For the first half hour or so, I couldn't work out which time period it was set in. There were no mobile phones or computers, the clothes and cars could have been from the 1960s or the 1970s etc. It was only when there was a close-up of a calendar, attached to a fridge that I knew it was contemporary.

Anyway, marvellous film and I can almost forgive the US film industry for constantly churning out noisy CGI drivel if it can produce the occasional gem like Mud.

Quite agree. The only thing that I was slightly disappointed about was that Reece Witherspoon didn't seem to do very much.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must check this out. Matthew really surprised me in The Paperboy and everyone has said how fantastic he is in this.

It just goes to show that nearly every actor out there has the potential to give brilliant performances, but the movies they chose fail them miserably.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    natstally wrote: »
    I'd like to see this but it's on Limited Release so it's not at my local Cineworld as yet. Can't see it being popular enough, especially right now, to get a wider release, especially to Wakefield. (usually it's Castleford/Bradford/Sheffield that get the expanded releases).
    Didn't reach my local too.....so just watched it today on Blu-ray.

It was a Gem of a film, best I've seen in a couple of years.9/10

a stunning performance from Matthew McConaughey - the two young leads, Tye Sheridan and Jacob Lofland, amazing and locations, awesome.

Highly Recommended.
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the movie Mud last night.
    One of the best films I have seen in ages. A really good yarn. I thought Matthew McConaughey, Tye Sheridan and Jacob Lofland were outstanding. Check it out.