Sports Season Ticket

Comments

• Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Can someone clarify what happens at the end of the 10 month season ticket?

Does it cancel immediately, automatically run on to the monthly subscription charge? Are you stuck with it for 12 months and unable to cancel etc?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Fletch10 wrote: »

Does it cancel immediately, automatically run on to the monthly subscription charge? Are you stuck with it for 12 months and unable to cancel etc?

I don't know what will happen automatically at the end, but Sky Sports with Virgin is only 30 day subscription, so give yourself a reminder to give Virgin a call just before the end of the 10 months and then ask to cancel. Simple. You are not tied into a 12 month deal.
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You have to pay the £150 upfront with a bank card, So I would imagine you cannot cancel before the end of the period the same as the line saver agreement, but it won't auto renew as with the line saver you would have to call in to get it and of course if it is still on offer
    Forum Member
    sm1979 wrote: »
    I don't know what will happen automatically at the end, but Sky Sports with Virgin is only 30 day subscription, so give yourself a reminder to give Virgin a call just before the end of the 10 months and then ask to cancel. Simple. You are not tied into a 12 month deal.

This is what I had assumed. However the blurb on press release...
    safc43 wrote: »

...states "12 month Big Bundle contract or re-contract applies." Whilst on the price grid it states "£150 for first 10 months and then £27.25/month thereafter" This could be interpreted in many ways, hence why I raised the point.

As ever despite it being in black and white things are never completely clear (what happened to the 2 HD channels included in the original text).

As I said I would have also assumed the original point, but always nice to have things completely clear. I don't mind whatever the answer, just like to know what I'm signing up too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I thought the actual 'contract' part of 12 months applied to the Big Kahuna bundle only, as Sky Sports is an optional extra that can be cancelled whenever you see fit.
  • JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • markrdukmarkrduk Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Also it appears you need to be on one of their 'big bundle' packages.

I'm hoping that Mates Rates counts as a big bundle as from what I hear it's pretty much the same price.

You're not eligible for the Season pass with mates rates unfortunately :(
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markrduk wrote: »
    You're not eligible for the Season pass with mates rates unfortunately :(

Damn, i'll give them a ring and see if i can sweet talk them.

From what i'm hearing the new big bundle offers are similar prices to mates rates so if it comes down to it i'll see if I can switch. The only issue of that of course is they won't be guaranteed long term (though mates rates went up a huge amount in a short period of time).

I'd like to say that I could play VM and Sky off against each other but i'm not dropping down broadband speed for all the money in the world.
  • plutonashplutonash Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Damn, i'll give them a ring and see if i can sweet talk them.

From what i'm hearing the new big bundle offers are similar prices to mates rates so if it comes down to it i'll see if I can switch. The only issue of that of course is they won't be guaranteed long term (though mates rates went up a huge amount in a short period of time).

I'd like to say that I could play VM and Sky off against each other but i'm not dropping down broadband speed for all the money in the world.

let us know how you get on with mate rates please
    Forum Member
    plutonash wrote: »
    let us know how you get on with mate rates please

phoned virgin...and was told that mate rates cant have
    the season ticket. so phoned up sky and got half price
    for 12 months ... on the family bundle inc sky sports for £34 a month with full hd. as adding the sky sport to my virgin was going to cost me £28.75 as well as £7 hd....total £35.75.
    come on virgin your a joke lol

my virgin
    unlimited landline calls
    152 meg broadband
    xl tv
    £57.99 month
    Forum Member
    phoned virgin...and was told that mate rates cant have
    the season ticket. so phoned up sky and got half price
    for 12 months ... on the family bundle inc sky sports for £34 a month with full hd. as adding the sky sport to my virgin was going to cost me £28.75 as well as £7 hd....total £35.75.
    come on virgin your a joke lol

my virgin
    unlimited landline calls
    152 meg broadband
    xl tv
    £57.99 month

So you're now paying out £34 a month to Sky and £57.99 to Virgin Media?
    Forum Member
    So you're now paying out £34 a month to Sky and £57.99 to Virgin Media?

yes paying for both.. but still cheaper than getting sports of virgin.
    bt sports on virgin....sky sports on sky
  • EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Makes a saving of £21 with Sky sports from Sky and a further £180 if you were to have BT sport on one Sky Box. Seems a fair deal to me. BT sport on multi room included with XL.
    Forum Member

Pretty sure you could have had a cheaper deal with Virgin, mates rates or not.

If you really need the top rate phone, the Big Daddy Bundle would have been cheaper especially if you took line rental saver and the sports season ticket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure you could have had a cheaper deal with Virgin, mates rates or not.

If you really need the top rate phone, the Big Daddy Bundle would have been cheaper especially if you took line rental saver and the sports season ticket.

So, lets see if I can work this out.

I currently pay £53.74 a month for XL TV, 100mb Broadband and M Phone. If I wanted to get sky sports for the 10 months the football is on that's £27.75 a month x 10. So altogether that's £922.38 a year.

The big kahuna bundle would give me XL TV, 152mb Broadband and weekend calls for £60.99 a month. I could then add the season pass for £150 for those 10 months. Altogether i'd be paying £881.88 a year.

So much for mates rate. . . . though in my case the broadband speed is irrelevant as I can only get 40mb over wifi and I never use my home phone.
    Forum Member
    So, lets see if I can work this out.

I currently pay £53.74 a month for XL TV, 100mb Broadband and M Phone. If I wanted to get sky sports for the 10 months the football is on that's £27.75 a month x 10. So altogether that's £922.38 a year.

The big kahuna bundle would give me XL TV, 152mb Broadband and weekend calls for £60.99 a month. I could then add the season pass for £150 for those 10 months. Altogether i'd be paying £881.88 a year.

So much for mates rate. . . . though in my case the broadband speed is irrelevant as I can only get 40mb over wifi and I never use my home phone.

Certainly a better annual cost than Pluto who I was quoting. His annual fee paying Sky and Virgin is well over £1000 a year.

Not sure why you're looking at it so negatively, "mates rates" is a privilege not a right and the Big Khauna and sports ticket looks an excellent offer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly a better annual cost than Pluto who I was quoting. His annual fee paying Sky and Virgin is well over £1000 a year.

Not sure why you're looking at it so negatively, "mates rates" is a privilege not a right and the Big Khauna and sports ticket looks an excellent offer.

I didn't mean to come across negative - just a little annoyed that I can't take advantage of the season ticket whilst on mates rate.

Also I just wanted to point out that mates rates isn't anything special now, it's just a slightly cheaper version of one of their big bundles.
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mean to come across negative - just a little annoyed that I can't take advantage of the season ticket whilst on mates rate.

Also I just wanted to point out that mates rates isn't anything special now, it's just a slightly cheaper version of one of their big bundles.

...then move off Mates Rates to get the Season Pass if Mates Rates is no longer a significant saving over some of the newer bundles.
    Forum Member
    my savings on mate rates are £11 a month.
    so x10 months = £110 then add the £150 for
    the season ticket = £330 inc hd... by staying on mate
    rates it would cost me £357 inc hd...with sky half price
    for 10 months its cost me £340 inc hd.
    Forum Member
    my savings on mate rates are £11 a month.
    so x10 months = £110 then add the £150 for
    the season ticket = £330 inc hd... by staying on mate
    rates it would cost me £357 inc hd...with sky half price
    for 10 months its cost me £340 inc hd.

Your numbers on your last few posts don't really add up to me, but as long as your happy.

I think calling Virgin Media a joke for offering a very competitive package is harsh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask and you shall receive!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    You asked for it. We're delivering it!
    Thanks to your comments and speedy clarification from HMRC, our Sky Sports Season Ticket is now available to Virgin Media employees on My Rates. And to your friends and family on Mates Rates.
    The Season Ticket delivers Sky Sports channels 1,2,3,4 and 5 + F1 at over 40% off the standard Sky Sports Collection price.
    Season Ticket on Mates Rates
    Our game changing Season Ticket for sports fans is now available to your mates. For £150 they can enjoy Sky Sports 1-5 + F1 for 10 months. This is over 40% off the standard Sky Sports Collection price.
  • Hendo9Hendo9 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much would they likely quote me to go onto their Big Kahuna, if I then need a total of 4 boxes (1 Tivo, one v+ and two normals)

I have that already, with 100mb broadband and m phone for £65.75 a month
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hendo9 wrote: »
    How much would they likely quote me to go onto their Big Kahuna, if I then need a total of 4 boxes (1 Tivo, one v+ and two normals)

I have that already, with 100mb broadband and m phone for £65.75 a month

List price would be £60.99 plus (3 x £6.50) = £80.49 so you would need a (dis-)loyalty discount of around £15 to get a similar price to what you have today.
  • a4704a4704 Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have any idea as to whether the Sports Season Ticket deal will continue for the foreseeable future? I don't want to find out it is only a one-off and then get myself stuck in to an 18-month contract, paying the over-the-top full rate for SS on VM when I could get it separately from Sky cheaper.

My current plan is the most basic calls package and 50Mb/s broadband, plus line rental saver which I'll continue.

So I'd pay £25/month for the first 6 months, then £45/month after that (plus £7 per month for HD as I don't see the point in paying all this money to watch sports in SD on a biggish HD TV).

So £32/month, then £52/month after that, plus line rental saver - not bad for the quickest broadband - not that I need it. I would downgrade - but there's no point as it's no longer part of the 'Big Kahuna' bundle so costs about the same.