CNN pulls the plug on Piers Morgan

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think after his comments about transgender people when he had a transgender female author appear on the show caused a storm of negative publicity, it was the nail in the coffin for him. He certainly didn't inherit Larry King's fanbase and he didn't really nurture much of one for himself either. The implications related to the phone hacking scandal also probably did him few favours. I just hope this doesn't mean more work for him back here, Piers Morgan's Life Stories is quite enough.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing how it was emerged he was was questioned before Christmas 2013 over the phone hacking in London, then a week later his CNN show is cancelled? ;-)
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should disappear from TV for good.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Amazing how it was emerged he was was questioned before Christmas 2013 over the phone hacking in London, then a week later his CNN show is cancelled? ;-)

Uh.... it's more than a week since Christmas.

I also mentioned that in my post. I think riling up the LGBT community by antagonising Janet Mock did a lot more recent and serious damage although his phone hacking ties probably didn't help that much. Janet Mock's scandal is far more recent since those appearances occurred only this month on the 5th and 6th of February.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh no. This will probably mean he'll be back in the UK a lot more.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there’s any truth that Jay Leno will be joining CNN for a nightly ‘Daily Show’ type programme.
    A couple of months ago there was a rumour that Piers Morgan would be axed and replaced by a new nightly satire show by Jay Leno (who Jeff Zucker, head of CNN, has a good working relationship with). This would seem to be the first half of that rumour coming true…
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also mentioned that in my post. I think riling up the LGBT community by antagonising Janet Mock did a lot more recent and serious damage although his phone hacking ties probably didn't help that much. Janet Mock's scandal is far more recent since those appearances occurred only this month on the 5th and 6th of February.

You misunderstand - a week after it emerged Morgan was questioned before Christmas 2013 (not this week being literally the week after Christmas) - the show is then cancelled.

Hardly a coincedence IMHO.
  • CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't send him back here!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    You misunderstand - a week after it emerged Morgan was questioned before Christmas 2013 (not this week being literally the week after Christmas) - the show is then cancelled.

I think getting only 250,000 viewers nightly had something to do with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was questioned, not convicted. Why would you think UK investigations with no actual conviction against him would harm his reputation in America that badly?

CNN has covered the phone hacking scandal at points and his past work as editor in chief is not unknown to them. So I assume they did have some awareness of his possible implication. Plus Morgan has not been involved with newspapers for a fair long while. So while a small contributory reason, I don't see it as being as significant as what happened earlier this month.

Meanwhile the Janet Mock incident actually occurred on CNN. Their airtime, their booking, their employee mocking the LGBT community, their reputation that was damaged. Anderson Cooper is openly gay and one of CNN's top journalists, I am sure he likely used his pull in light of recent transgressions to get Morgan removed from the staff.
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cylinder wrote: »
    Don't send him back here!

Where else is he gonna go? Can't see him going anywhere else unfortunately :(
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hasn't been on twitter for 5 days.....it must be serious..............:o
  • SolidSnakeSolidSnake Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Heavenly wrote: »
    He hasn't been on twitter for 5 days.....it must be serious..............:o

Maybe God has pulled the plug on piers morgan :o

:p
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I was delighted when I read that CNN axed Piers Morgan. However, I was gutted to find out it was only his show.
  • Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bad news with the USA turning its back on PM means that he'll probably come back here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    The bad news with the USA turning its back on PM means that he'll probably come back here.

Aw hell naw!

We won't take back that annoying pleb if we we were paid billions. We have more than enough irritating twonks stinking up our airwaves as it is
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolidSnake wrote: »
    Maybe God has pulled the plug on piers morgan :o

:p

He couldn't resist tweeting Rooney, Van Persie and Ferdinand about Utd's abysmal performance last night.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    He couldn't resist tweeting Rooney, Van Persie and Ferdinand about Utd's abysmal performance last night.

Utd performance was crap and they deserved the criticism.

But the good news is PM gets as good as he gives. What comes around goes around
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Janet Mock's scandal? The scandal was the dozy woman (and the mob supporting her) attacked Morgan when he went out of his way to support the ungrateful woman.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Janet Mock's scandal? The scandal was the dozy woman (and the mob supporting her) attacked Morgan when he went out of his way to support the ungrateful woman.

Agreed

That whole thing was absurd, and Morgan did nothing wrong.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »

I can't be bothered to google. What happened ? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I can't be bothered to google. What happened ? :)

The "offence" was sòooo subtle, after 15 minutes of her explaining what he'd done so wrong I still didn't have a clue.

I bet he wished he'd never given the ungrateful woman a platform.

Thinking about it - his crime was saying she was born a boy (or something to that effect).

But she didn't say a peep at the time. He thought she'd gone away happy with her 15 minutes in the sun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it - his crime was saying she was born a boy (or something to that effect).

If that really was ALL he did then as much of a tit as PM can be, then this isn't really his fault the oversensitive moron shouldn't have made such a fuss. And they WERE born a boy you can't escape that biological fact
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that really was ALL he did then as much of a tit as PM can be, then this isn't really his fault the oversensitive moron shouldn't have made such a fuss. And they WERE born a boy you can't escape that biological fact

Still he deserves it for being so desperate to be right-on. :D

And for demanding the historian David Starky be banned from the BBC.