Options

Doctor Who- Last Christmas- 25th December 2014, 18.15 BBC1

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was only 62, not 108.

Didn't she say it was 62 years since she saw him? Making her 82 years old at least?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you about old Clara, the makeup was rubbish and so OTT. She was only 62, not 108. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story though. Sometimes films and TV shows get 'old' makeup right, but on occasions like this they go too far and end up making the person look like a cartoon character.

Unless I misheard it was 62 years later, so Clara would be in her late 80s.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First time I've voted excellent for a Christmas special. Thought it was superb and the whole not knowing what was real and what was dream was just a brilliant touch. Really wish that Natalie Gumede had been the introduction of a new companion though.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the 1st 10 mins. I was embarrassed watching it. One by one members of the family went into another room leaving just two of us seeing it through to the end. The series needs a fresh start with a new head honcho for me. Expecting a rubbish 9th series if this is anything to go by. Moffat is slowly killing the show. Next years Christmas special could be the final end.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    That's not really correct, though, is it? The Dream Crabs were real. They really were attacking those people and really were trying to eat their brains.

Well, yeah. We didn't get to see any of that, though, did we?

What we got to see was a bunch of people who may or may not have been real faffing around with Santa' at the North Pole... and then they woke up... and then some of them vanished... and then DW and Clara woke up. Twice.

Let's face it, sci-fi writers have a variety of ways to posit storylines and then nullify them and, out of all of those methods, "it was all a dream" really is about the laziest.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Really wish that Natalie Gumede had been the introduction of a new companion though.

I do too, it was such a wasted opportunity. There was just something about her character that I took too straight away. She just seemed right immediately, someone who actually complimented Peter's Doctor I thought (unlike Jenna as Clara for me).

Here's hoping she can return! *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant episode and I'm so delighted Clara is staying on, I think the relationship between her and our new Doctor is just hitting its stride.:)

The only thing that spoils it is coming onto this thread and seeing all the nit-pickers harping on about holes in the plot. Stop watching it if it bothers you that much.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    I do too, it was such a wasted opportunity. There was just something about her character that I took too straight away. She just seemed right immediately, someone who actually complimented Peter's Doctor I thought (unlike Jenna as Clara for me).

Here's hoping she can return! *fingers crossed*

It was the line about her getting right to the point and asking the right question, I thought it was either a new companion or someone the Doctor liked therefore was going to snuff it. Very glad it wasn't the latter!

I think Natalie is possibly the most beautiful woman on the tv at the moment after Karen Gillan.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Mostly ok. Shame about the ending. I think the Doctor Who team mis-read the room and thought the audience would be punching the air with joy that Clara's back for season 9.
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Brilliant episode and I'm so delighted Clara is staying on, I think the relationship between her and our new Doctor is just hitting its stride.:)

The only thing that spoils it is coming onto this thread and seeing all the nit-pickers harping on about holes in the plot. Stop watching it if it bothers you that much.>:(

Agreed, couldn't be happier she's staying.

They were dreaming for 95% of the episode, dreams don't follow logic or conform to plot holes :P

Did make me laugh when the words that made half the audience happy and the other half angry appeared lol

'The Doctor AND Clara will return in The Magicians Apprentice'
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the line about her getting right to the point and asking the right question, I thought it was either a new companion or someone the Doctor liked therefore was going to snuff it. Very glad it wasn't the latter!

I think Natalie is possibly the most beautiful woman on the tv at the moment after Karen Gillan.

I agree with all of that! Natalie is certainly beautiful.

Come on Moff, ditch Clara bring back Ash! She deserves a go in the TARDIS....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Let's face it, sci-fi writers have a variety of ways posit storylines and then nullify them and, out of all of those methods, "it was all a dream" really is about the laziest.

I would normally agree with this but, the whole point of the episode was what is or isn't reality and I thought it did that very well. Similar to Amy's Choice which you could equally argue was sloppy and lazy but ended up one of the most iconic episodes.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I would normally agree with this but, the whole point of the episode was what is or isn't reality and I thought it did that very well. Similar to Amy's Choice which you could equally argue was sloppy and lazy but ended up one of the most iconic episodes.

S'funny, I thought that was utter garbage too. :D

I swear, I've never managed to remain awake all the way through it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S'funny, I thought that was utter garbage too. :D

I swear, I've never managed to remain awake all the way through it.

Not saying I liked Amy's Choice or the Dreamlord but there is no denying its an iconic episode.

BIB Hardiharhar :D
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Natalie Gumede for the next companion, please, soon.

If it was (nearly) all a dream, why did Michael Troughton's character die?

Can someone explain, please? Perhaps he was actually dying in real life?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I understood it to be that him being grabbed through the screen was his dying moment.
  • Options
    Jaydubya76Jaydubya76 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I think that if the story is good enough I find it legitimate to borrow ideas. In fact isn't every single episode of any science fiction TV series borrowing sci-fi ideas that are already out there? It must be extremely rare that any show brings brand new fresh ideas to the table and produces a sci-fi idea that is new to us all.
    In this story Moffat made sure that he didn't hide his inspirations and made it obvious to us where he borrowed some of the ideas from. He decided to be transparent and laid them out on the table for us to see, and then offered a story to us which reassembled them into something new in the full knowledge that he knows that we know where the ideas came from, hoping that we'd trust him and go along with it,

I agree with you about old Clara, the makeup was rubbish and so OTT. She was only 62, not 108. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story though. Sometimes films and TV shows get 'old' makeup right, but on occasions like this they go too far and end up making the person look like a cartoon character.

No, she said it had been 62 years since they had last met. Assuming Jenna's in her mid-20's that would have put old Clara into her late 80's. Admittedly could still be argued that some people at that age still dont look as old as old Clara.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it, I haven't enjoyed many of the Christmas specials but this one was great.

Also isn't it quiet on here.

Also Jenna Coleman confirms she is staying for another series. (not half)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30602537
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    Gumede's character was likeable. That's already one up on Clara....

How very dare you! Clara is lovely.
  • Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Major directorial fail there!
  • Options
    CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode.
    Some very funny lines, and moments like the Rudolf nose car alarm, ha.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    I thought that this was a very clever episode well acted where by the end you did not know what was a dream and what was not dream.

Even at the end, with the tangerine on the window sill, you still did not know if they were in a dream state.

It reminds me of the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Buffy imagined that she was in a mental hospital (or was her life in Sunnydale the imaginary world).

Excellent
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, yeah. We didn't get to see any of that, though, did we?

Yes, we did.

What we didn't see was an hour of people lying on the floor with a crab on their face. But we didn't need to. That was explained to us. We didn't need to see it constantly for the threat to be real.
    What we got to see was a bunch of people who may or may not have been real faffing around with Santa' at the North Pole... and then they woke up... and then some of them vanished... and then DW and Clara woke up. Twice.

Kinda the same as Inception, then. Well, with Santa instead of Marion Cottliard, but you get my drift.

Did you want to se a bunch of people lying around on the floor as space crabs sucked out their brains?
    Let's face it, sci-fi writers have a variety of ways to posit storylines and then nullify them and, out of all of those methods, "it was all a dream" really is about the laziest.

But that's not what happened. It wasn't a reset button to nullify the events of the episode. It was the entire concept of the episode. The episode was all about creatures messing with our minds and tricking us with fake realities. If everyone had been awake and it was instead an illusion, would that have been better?

Bobby Ewing walking out the shower this was not. The "dream" aspect was not just tacked on at the end to reset the events or make them meaningless.
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »

Even at the end, with the tangerine on the window sill, you still did not know if they were in a dream state.

Excellent

I take that as the inception spinning top moment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the 1st 10 mins. I was embarrassed watching it. One by one members of the family went into another room leaving just two of us seeing it through to the end. The series needs a fresh start with a new head honcho for me. Expecting a rubbish 9th series if this is anything to go by. Moffat is slowly killing the show. Next years Christmas special could be the final end.

I think Chicken Little has you on speed-dial.