Help finding copy of Doctor Who Annual

Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm trying to find a copy of the Doctor Who Annual from 1971. Jon Pertwee era, the one with the pink cover. I've managed to build a collection of all annuals up to this one, but this particular one is eluding me. Does anyone know where I may be able to find a copy?

I have so far found one on Ebay, (the US site) selling for £125 + £6.50 postage. Or on Amazon again selling for £125.

To date every annual I have collected has not cost me more than £10. I'm not prepared to pay over £100 for one. Is this one particularly rare does anyone know?

Comments

• outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Do you need a "real" copy? I've got them all as PDFs somewhere on my hard drive.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, that one and the 1968 one are the two rarest Who annuals (most of the others are relatively common). You might get one cheaper than £100 if you're lucky, but you are not going to get one for anything like the price you paid for the others. And they're scarce enough that that 'cheap' copy could take quite a bit of finding. Sorry.:(
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    Do you need a "real" copy? I've got them all as PDFs somewhere on my hard drive.

I would prefer a real copy as my aim is to have a physical copy of each annual over time. However, to satisfy my curiosity and because I do really enjoy reading the stories, if you can help with a PDF copy in the meantime I'd really appreciate it.
    Forum Member
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    I would prefer a real copy as my aim is to have a physical copy of each annual over time. However, to satisfy my curiosity and because I do really enjoy reading the stories, if you can help with a PDF copy in the meantime I'd really appreciate it.

How did you watch "Inferno"? It's on the DVD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, that one and the 1968 one are the two rarest Who annuals (most of the others are relatively common). You might get one cheaper than £100 if you're lucky, but you are not going to get one for anything like the price you paid for the others. And they're scarce enough that that 'cheap' copy could take quite a bit of finding. Sorry.:(

Ahh, thanks for that Tony. I did wonder as I couldn't find anything out there. I really, really do want one though so I will keep my eyes peeled whilst trying to up the DW bank account a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you watch "Inferno"? It's on the DVD.

What the PDF of the annual?

*goes off to have a looksee*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well would you 'adam n eve it'. I didn't even realise. I really should look at all those extras. Well I shall make do with that until I can afford to buy the real thing. Thanks Outside.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    it is one of the most coveted editions, I have seen it go for as much as £200. Mine cost me 50p at a church jumble sale in about 1980. I loved jumble sales, if you knew what you wanted, you could pick up a few little gems!

"Professional" car boot sales and ebay have long since destroyed this little tradition. Everyone selling these items now, knows exactly what they've got unfortunately.:(
    Forum Member
    Well would you 'adam n eve it'. I didn't even realise. I really should look at all those extras. Well I shall make do with that until I can afford to buy the real thing. Thanks Outside.

That'll be a tenner, Tiggs. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    it is one of the most coveted editions, I have seen it go for as much as £200. Mine cost me 50p at a church jumble sale in about 1980. I loved jumble sales, if you knew what you wanted, you could pick up a few little gems!

"Professional" car boot sales and ebay have long since destroyed this little tradition. Everyone selling these items now, knows exactly what they've got unfortunately.:(

I agree Doctor Qui, I have often search through car boots but never found anything of value at a bargain price. Charity shops are good though, I picked up a couple of target books there for 50p.
    Forum Member
    I've got duplicates of the, if memory serves, 1980 and 1982 annuals, if they're any use to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That'll be a tenner, Tiggs. :)

Cheque's in the post. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Worse than that, a lot of charity shops now often think they've got something far more valuable than they actually have-and they price themselves out of the market as a result. Trouble is, they've cottoned on to the fact that annuals are collectible, but they don't know enough to have worked out that some are a lot more collectible than others, so they'll try and sell books only a few years old for about a fiver when they're worth about a quid, and woe betide you if you try and tell them different...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got duplicates of the, if memory serves, 1980 and 1982 annuals, if they're any use to you.

Working my way through in order, so if we're still here this time next year, then yes please Outie. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worse than that, a lot of charity shops now often think they've got something far more valuable than they actually have-and they price themselves out of the market as a result. Trouble is, they've cottoned on to the fact that annuals are collectible, but they don't know enough to have worked out that some are a lot more collectible than others, so they'll try and sell books only a few years old for about a fiver when they're worth about a quid, and woe betide you if you try and tell them different...

Ahh I see you have tried that method then Ting. I'm lucky they didn't charge me a couple of quid for each book then.

I'm glad I've got the 1968 annual though. Didn't realise it was rare, and I'm pretty sure it was one I got off ebay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh I see you have tried that method then Ting. I'm lucky they didn't charge me a couple of quid for each book then.

I'm glad I've got the 1968 annual though. Didn't realise it was rare, and I'm pretty sure it was one I got off ebay.

It's still possible to get lucky! Normally, even a fairly tatty copy of that'll set you back about thirty quid, and a half decent copy more than twice that. By contrast, the Hartnell ones frequently turn up for ten or twenty, and Tom Baker's for under a fiver. For some reason, the Troughton annuals and the first Pertwee seem to have had a much smaller print run than the rest...
    Forum Member

Agreed, I saw charity shop trying to sell a 1977 DW annual for £20, I'm sorry but it aint that rare!:eek: Fortunately, I got mine for Christmas in 1977 so it cost me nothing:D
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Primary school fete, approx 1983. Can't remember how much I paid, but I remember I had enough left to buy a fairy cake from Mrs Henn.

I think I have 1968, too. need to look in the attic. I know I am missing a Troughton, and think it's 1970 judging from this helpful website.

The 1979 one is everywhere! Or, at least, it used to be, before these things became "collectable".
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,762
    Forum Member
    Do a regular search each week on eBay (I do one every Monday around 6:30pm for 30 mins) & be prepared to show patience. I've often got items which have taken me a couple of years to get at the right price.
    Forum Member
    Do a regular search each week on eBay (I do one every Monday around 6:30pm for 30 mins) & be prepared to show patience. I've often got items which have taken me a couple of years to get at the right price.

And now giving yourself some competition!;)
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was bought the Dr Who annuals for Xmas every year from the late 60's onwards.
    I was a huge fan but even as a kid I knew they were all shit.
    The Anderson annuals like TV21 and Captain Scarlet had the content and quality we wanted , not the guff in the Dr Who annuals.
    Some of them are provided as PDF files on the Dr Who dvd's and they're nice to see but still rubbish.

I can understand you wanting them in your hands but look at the cost and then look at the annuals.
    The covers are nice but the rest of it is crap.

If you really want it then regular ebay trawls are the only way
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,762
    Forum Member
    And now giving yourself some competition!;)

Aah, but I'm not after the annuals. :cool:
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Had every single annual - gave them all away when I got married Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was bought the Dr Who annuals for Xmas every year from the late 60's onwards.
    I was a huge fan but even as a kid I knew they were all shit.
    The Anderson annuals like TV21 and Captain Scarlet had the content and quality we wanted , not the guff in the Dr Who annuals.
    Some of them are provided as PDF files on the Dr Who dvd's and they're nice to see but still rubbish.
    Very much a matter of personal taste, I'd say-I have little interest in the Anderson stuff, but have very fond memories of stories from some of the Who Annuals (for some reason, I really liked X-Rani & the Ugly Mutants).