Restless leg syndrome/sleep apnea/hypnic jerks

Dean_BurroughsDean_Burroughs Posts: 341
Forum Member
do you suffer from any of the above?

Comments

• mickzmickz Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Hypnic jerk : I didn't know there was a name for it, just hope there is a cure now :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, had sleep apnoea (or any one of the many spelling variations :)) for my entire adult life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I get the jerks from time to time as my sleeping pattern is all over the place and I have anxieties. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often but can be quite annoying when i'm in that bit just before sleep. My body is all relaxed and/or completely knackered but my brain is wide awake and cycling through stressful thoughts, then when i'm close to drifting off my body jumps. It's like being totally focused on something and someone coming up behind you and making you jump, only you're lying down and nobody is there.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mrs tells me I suffer from sleep apnea.

I'm asleep though so I don't really 'suffer' from it......unless I wake up dead one morning, then I suppose she'll have been right......But at least she won't be able to say she told me so.
  • Fuzzy WarblesFuzzy Warbles Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know they were called hypnic jerks but after reading a bit it says they are very common and yes I have had plenty.
    Also was plagued with restless legs when I was expecting. Really horrible sensation and only respite was standing on something very cool. (marble hearth in my case)
  • spookedspooked Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to do a lot of running and would get restless leg if I'd over-trained.
    I'd be in bed and would just have to get up and pace the house.

Not a good thing.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,771
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere once that you should drink tonic water if you get restless legs/cramps. The quinine in it does something to relax the muscles. Hope that helps.:)
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would a hypnic jerk be the same as a myoclonic Jerk?
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Would a hypnic jerk be the same as a myoclonic Jerk?

Yes..
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, had sleep apnoea (or any one of the many spelling variations :)) for my entire adult life.

Used to share a flat with someone who had this...it sounded awful. She stopped breathing in her sleep every two minutes. She was told to lose weight by her GP to ease the condition but she refused to do so. Odd decision considering how much she was suffering from exhaustion/sleep deprivation.

I had restless leg syndrome in my early twenties, it used to drive me absolutely insane. It's a sign of poor blood circulation, hence the "tingling" sensation in your feet/legs.
    It's usually down to poor diet, lack of exercise or diabetes.

(PS Not the same a leg cramps - no idea what causes those)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    I read somewhere once that you should drink tonic water if you get restless legs/cramps. The quinine in it does something to relax the muscles. Hope that helps.:)

Really?!

I have restless legs, always at the same point every evening, when I am tired, but it's too early to go to bed. I will definitely try that
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    Really?!

I have restless legs, always at the same point every evening, when I am tired, but it's too early to go to bed. I will definitely try that

Don't let your legs get too warm either, that will set them off as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Don't let your legs get too warm either, that will set them off as well.

Yeah, the minute it starts I get my socks off.

That sounds dodgy for some reason :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?!

Do you get that feeling where you have ants crawling inside your skin? If so, get yourself checked. You may have nothing more serious than a vitamin deficiency.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    I'm asleep though so I don't really 'suffer' from it......

Well you do because the daytime problem are as much a part of the condition as the broken sleep .. so the tiredness, fatigue and everything else you feel is all part of it ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes to hypnic jerks. I didn't realise they were called that, but I get them reasonably regularly. My boyfriend has something similar as he's falling asleep but it doesn't wake him up at all. And the 'jerk' is more subtle. For me, the more asleep I am, the bigger the jerk is; sometimes it's more of a jump :p.

For me it's sometimes linked with a mini-dream, for example, in one of them I was sitting at a school desk (in the dream) and somebody threw a paper ball at my head. The impact caused the jerk, waking me up. Usually I find only a minute or less has passed in real life.
  • gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    I have never heard of the term before but I suffer with hypnic jerks. When I'm having a rough time with my anxiety and I'm finally drifting off to sleep for a rest from it my whole body just jumps it's so strange and very scary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you get that feeling where you have ants crawling inside your skin? If so, get yourself checked. You may have nothing more serious than a vitamin deficiency.

:eek: not had that
  • Dean_BurroughsDean_Burroughs Posts: 341
    Forum Member

i use to get the feeling where i wanted to stab my self in the leg for a different kind of pain RLS is pure horror.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    O/H has restless legs syndrome. It drives me mad as much as him. Some nights I would gladly consider separate beds.
  • XanadauXanadau Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The worst bit is when it goes all the way up your leg to your bum :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most people who suffer RLS describe it that way...ants or spiders inside their skin. Not overly pleasant either way.
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I used to get restless legs a lot but found that despite the urge to move them about the best thing to do is get comfy and force yourself to stay still. In the end it works a lot better than moving about, which just seems to make the muscles worse.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother has restless legs, her GP has given her a drug they use for Parkinsons disease, just a low dose and it seems to be doing the trick.
    Luckily I only uiffer with insomnia and when I do fall asleep, I get woken up with the worst pain known to man, bloody calf cramp. Ouch.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get all 3 on occasion but the RLS & hypnic jerks nearly every night, due to the Chiari. It is horrible :(