EPG slow to populate

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
Forum Member
Hi,

Wonder if anybody can help with this please.

My friend and I have identical set-ups - an LG 36" TV and a Humax 9150.

We are on the same transmitter - Crystal Palace.

My EPG populates so quickly when I turn on my TV/Humax that I rarely, if ever, have to wait for it.

My friend's can take anything up to an hour to populate for a few days ahead, and even the current day is frustratingly slow.

Can anybody suggest what might be causing this and how it can be sorted.

TIA

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LizzieDee wrote: »
    My EPG populates so quickly when I turn on my TV/Humax that I rarely, if ever, have to wait for it.

My friend's can take anything up to an hour to populate for a few days ahead, and even the current day is frustratingly slow.

Can anybody suggest what might be causing this and how it can be sorted.
    What software versions are you and your friend using (Menu button then System>Status)? If your friend is using an earlier software version then it can be updated from a PC using the procedure at http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    My apologies for failing to come back in response to your post - I did work out what the problem was and totally forgot that I'd entered a plea for help:blush:

The problem turned out to be the fact that she kept turning off the Humax - I think she's convinced that it's costing her a fortune to leave it switched on and/or her home will catch fire if the Humax is not switched off! She still turns it off but at least now is aware that she'll have to wait for the EPG once she turns it on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LizzieDee wrote: »
    The problem turned out to be the fact that she kept turning off the Humax - I think she's convinced that it's costing her a fortune to leave it switched on and/or her home will catch fire if the Humax is not switched off! She still turns it off but at least now is aware that she'll have to wait for the EPG once she turns it on.
    Sorry to keep banging on but what software version is the box using? The latest software populates the EPG relatively quickly from a cached version on disk. If your friend keeps her box switched off chances are she missed the update.
  • NorthPoleNorthPole Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Regardless of whether the Humax is left powered in standby mode or switched off at the mains, my impression is that the EPG takes time to populate if the box hasn't been on for a while, either to watch live TV or record. I don't watch a lot of TV myself, and after several days there are always 'blanks' in the EPG, especially towards the end of the following week.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the DTT platform the EPG is trickled down alongside the programme streams
    With now and next ( present and future. In DVB speak ) for this mux transmitted more frequently that P/F other muxes, then a few hours(or rest of day) this mux ... Through to 7 days ahead other muxes in increasingly less frequent repetition .

So you can see all P/F in about 20 seconds .... But it should do most of the 7 days in say half an hour or so ... Which can over write any historic and thus update info from the hard drive....
    The number Of carousel of data is probably at least 8 ....

For DSAT there is a default transponder which has about 40 times the bit rate of the DTT trickle and thus can download far quicker and efficiently often using the second feed.
    Thee is also a P/F feed on each transponder
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NorthPole wrote: »
    Regardless of whether the Humax is left powered in standby mode or switched off at the mains, my impression is that the EPG takes time to populate if the box hasn't been on for a while, either to watch live TV or record. I don't watch a lot of TV myself, and after several days there are always 'blanks' in the EPG, especially towards the end of the following week.
    Yes that is correct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you can see all P/F in about 20 seconds .... But it should do most of the 7 days in say half an hour or so ... Which can over write any historic and thus update info from the hard drive....
    Are you sure about that? The debate used to be about whether one cycle of the complete EPG took 4 minutes or 8 minutes?
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    With now and next ( present and future. In DVB speak ) for this mux transmitted more frequently that P/F other muxes, then a few hours(or rest of day) this mux ... Through to 7 days ahead other muxes in increasingly less frequent repetition .

For DSAT there is a default transponder which has about 40 times the bit rate of the DTT trickle and thus can download far quicker and efficiently often using the second feed.
    Are you sure about that? The debate used to be about whether one cycle of the complete EPG took 4 minutes or 8 minutes?
    It's sometime since I checked for updates to the relevant specifications but the following is a summary of the information I have on this.

The UK D Book for DTT requires the broadcasters to achieve EPG table repetition rates as specified by DVB in ETSI Guidelines document TR 101 211.

TR 101 211 specifies maximum (terrestrial) repetition rates for EIT schedule actual (that's the full EPG for the current mux you're tuned to) of 10s for the first full day of schedule and 30s for the entire schedule.

The maximum rates for EIT schedule other (that's the full EPG for all the muxes you're not tuned to) are 60s for the first full day of schedule and 300s for the entire schedule.

That makes the maximum permitted EIT repetition time 5 minutes (for the full EPG), and the BBC run the system well within those limits.

It used to be widely reported that the Humax SD PVRs required two cycles of the data carousel to fully populate the EPG.

Recently a thread on here reports that the Humax SD PVRs fail to retain a complete EPG for days 4 to 8 with random gaps present. on all channels.

Colin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    creddish wrote: »
    It's sometime since I checked for updates to the relevant specifications but the following is a summary of the information I have on this.

The UK D Book for DTT requires the broadcasters to achieve EPG table repetition rates as specified by DVB in ETSI Guidelines document TR 101 211.

TR 101 211 specifies maximum (terrestrial) repetition rates for EIT schedule actual (that's the full EPG for the current mux you're tuned to) of 10s for the first full day of schedule and 30s for the entire schedule.

The maximum rates for EIT schedule other (that's the full EPG for all the muxes you're not tuned to) are 60s for the first full day of schedule and 300s for the entire schedule.

That makes the maximum permitted EIT repetition time 5 minutes (for the full EPG), and the BBC run the system well within those limits.

It used to be widely reported that the Humax SD PVRs required two cycles of the data carousel to fully populate the EPG.

Recently a thread on here reports that the Humax SD PVRs fail to retain a complete EPG for days 4 to 8 with random gaps present. on all channels.

Colin

May as well be speaking french.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

TR 101 211 specifies maximum (terrestrial) repetition rates for EIT schedule actual (that's the full EPG for the current mux you're tuned to) of 10s for the first full day of schedule and 30s for the entire schedule......... .

Actually RT102 211 cannot specify anything because it is not s specification
    But putting that to one side ...

Section 4.4.2 defines in one list the repetition frequencies of the main tables

which end up with EIT P/F this mux at 2 seconds and P/F others at 20 secs

It then goes on to indicate what rates the Further part of EIT should be transmitted

but the numbers are highly qualified
    The repetition rates for further EIT tables will depend greatly on the number of services and the quantity of related SI information. The following transmission intervals should be followed if practicable but they may be increased as the use of EIT tables is increased. The times are the consequence of a compromise between the acceptable provision of data to a viewer and the use of multiplex bandwidth.

which to summarise are
    Today This mux 10 secs
    Today other mux 60 secs

Obviously these are of variable lengths as the event are rolled up so there is 24 hours worth at 00;01 and a minutes worth at 23:59
    But on the whole these are met .. and with evening viewing can be quicker for some muxes! ( but there is a trade off with Tomorrow's Listings)

But then the this mux rest and Other mux rest are very verbose and thus take longer to transmit - and that is where my typical figures come from .... as there are a number of different carousels .... to optimise the limited bit rate ...
    Just think - if one day takes 10 secs then at the same data rate 6 days will take 60 secs... not the 30 secs in TR102 211

I don't know what the current parameters are for DigitalUK service and in any case each mux has both different amount of data to carry in each Carousel - and a different amount of bit rate allocated to the SI.
    But like the BBC did with Ceefax pages 601-5 they repeat things faster than other muxes .

But 20 mins is longer than most cycles .... pershaps 5 mins up to 10 min is more reasonable - for the full EPG
    but some PVRs are better than other that picking things up first time round.

If you want to look at some of the issues I suggest you look at the Teletext EPG ETS 300 707 - and its accompanying CoP TR288 give a simple expansion of some of the issues - But you need t realize that it works on spare spaces in the Teletext stream - which is typically a few Kbit/sec rather than the 1 to 2 Mbit/sec avail in the DVB world.

one interesting point is that this Spec enables not just P/F but also now next and next +1 (or even more) as the most frequent transmission ...
    this was done to get over the problem that can come up if you are turning on just before the hour - you can then see the "On the hour" and "next programme (at Half past) " almost immediatly.
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Humax HDR-Fox T2 which is set to come on at 5:30 - 5:45 in the morning to update the EPG (quite aside from the fact that the latest software apparently now does this EPG check anyway).

I have noticed a few times when viewing in the evening, that the EPG which had a full 8 days worth for all channels, deletes large swathes of itself.

For example, I can be viewing the listings for channel 8 onwards (8 BBC Alba, 9 BBC Four, 10 ITV3, 11 Pick, etc.). Usually, I'm tuned to a BBC channel whilst viewing the EPG.

Suddenly, ITV3, Pick, Dave, Channel 4+1, etc. will disappear. Eventually the deletions are filled in again.

What is the reason for this?

Can DigitalUk upgrade the EPG carousel speeds? A 10 Day EPG would be of more value to me. I notice that the HDR-T2 has space for a second week.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member

To clarify this issue. The EIT p/f (Now/Next) data has no relevance to the population time of the EPG. This data is used to provide the receiving device with the identity of the current (present) programmes being broadcast and the identity of the programmes which immediately follow the present programmes. The following programme data allows recording devices to monitor the programme status and when it's status changes to being the current programme this triggers the start of a recording.

It is the EIT Schedule data which is used by receiving devices to compile the EPG.

I'm still trying to get my head round your post #11. I'm intending to test the EPG population time on a PVR which I know populates fully from one cycle of the EPG Schedule carousel. This will test if this is less than 5 min which applied when I last tested this. I will then be in a position to prepare a more informed reply to your post #11.

Colin
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Colin
    Definitely one for The Plain English Campaign's next newsletter :D