Options

New 9150 aspect ratio problem on Arqiva muxes (4:3 tv)

EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
Forum Member
My 9150 is connected to an old 4:3 set, with the 9150 set to 16:9 letterbox mode.
Normally all 16:9 progs are displayed as you would expect.
This week, various channels behave in an odd way. If I turn to the channel it is displayed correctly, then a few seconds later the 9150 seems to ignore the aspect ratio and displays the prog as if shown on a widescreen tv. (fully fills the 4:3 picture)
Only certain channels on Arqiva muxes are affected (4 Music, Ideal World, Film4+1,4Seven, RT on ArqB and Create & Craft on ArqA). All the rest are OK at present.
If the channels are recorded (or paused) then they seem to behave properly. It is only the live viewing that is a problem.

I used a dongle to examine the data streams on the two muxes and it seems that the data has recently changed - something to do with Stream Type ISO/IEC 13818-6 type B stream id 67g.???? (was 66f or missing).

Has anyone else come across this? Is this a strange fault developed on my 9150?
Is there any way to get around this problem? (other than recording the prog).

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    I missed out E4+1 also displays this problem on my set-up, as do most shopping type channels (all on Arqiva muxes). I have no idea whether any of the late-night channels do this.
  • Options
    Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing there aren't many people watching on 4x3 TVs any more, which would explain the tumble weed blowing though this thread.

Could it be related to THIS? Are they making changes to sqeeze in more channels?
  • Options
    colin1951ukcolin1951uk Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I've been having trouble with Film4+1, Parliament, RT and BBC RB 301 channels since last Wednesday...I've been seeing the same trouble as the op with my 4:3 tv.

However I noticed this afternoon that Parliament and 301 seem to be ok now...but the other two are still playing up...RT is 4:3 and Film4+1 has reverted to a widescreen format but it's more like 14:9 than 16:9 so somethings still up.

I'm on the Rowridge transmitter by the way.

I thought my tv was on the blink so at least I know it's not my end now.

Cheers...Colin
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EEPhil wrote: »
    Has anyone else come across this?
    Yes. My 9200T and 9300T are also under the influence.
    Film4+1,4Seven, RT on ArqB and Create & Craft on ArqA). All the rest are OK at present.
    For me the following are as you describe:
    18 4Music
    22 Ideal World
    29 E4+1
    35 QVC Beauty
    36 Create & Craft
    40 Rocks & Co 1
    45 Film4+1
    47 4seven
    49 Jewellery Ch.
    85 RT English

My HDR-FOX T2 copes with this far better. Initially they are as you describe and then they make a second change to go back to 16:9 letterbox or whatever else I have the wide option set to.
    If the channels are recorded (or paused) then they seem to behave properly. It is only the live viewing that is a problem.
    Good tip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As the majority of the channels affected belong to Channel 4 or are shopping channels, and given Arqiva tells you to contact the broadcaster with problems - I've contacted Channel 4 to see if they can sort this out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing there aren't many people watching on 4x3 TVs any more, which would explain the tumble weed blowing though this thread.

Could it be related to THIS? Are they making changes to sqeeze in more channels?

Yes I noticed the lack of interest!

Don't think it is bitrate - more likely to be a "press red" or connected service added to some of the channels which upsets some Humax boxes.
  • Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect they are not broadcasting the correct AFD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Format_Description).

Channel 4 have history on this. At one point Channel 4 itself would send no descriptor on 4:3 programs, meaning that on some boxes the Simpsons would appear stretched on a 16:9 screen. At the same time C4HD would be fine.
  • Options
    colin1951ukcolin1951uk Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Don't think it is bitrate - more likely to be a "press red" or connected service added to some of the channels which upsets some Humax boxes.

Just a quick comment furthur to my earlier post...this glitch or whatever you want to call it is not confined to Humax boxes.

I have a TVonics box and a friend of mine has a Sony pvr and we are both affected and I also know of an LG tv (can't remember the model number) that is playing up as well so this is well spread problem that needs fixing.

I'll be interested to know what Channel 4 say...I complained to them about aspect ratio problems on 4 and 4+1 some good while ago...they said it was my tv but I never touched anything and the problem went away within a further 48hrs or so!

We can but hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't had a substantial reply from C4, just one asking for the same info again and then another one saying it was passed to the engineering team.

However, when I checked at around midday today (8/4/14) things appear to be back to normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll be interested to know what Channel 4 say...I complained to them about aspect ratio problems on 4 and 4+1 some good while ago...they said it was my tv but I never touched anything and the problem went away within a further 48hrs or so!

Just to finish off this topic (sorry for bumping it up the list).

Channel 4 never replied to me regarding the cause of the problem. No explanation was ever given. As far as I can see the problem was solved fairly quickly once it was passed on to the right person. All the channels affected did appear to have a "red button" data stream attached to them. It looks as though a 2 or 3 byte change was made to one module of the data stream to correct the problem. As I have no idea how to reverse engineer a data stream - I can't tell you what was changed.