Youtube adding google plus...now i cant access my account :( ???

Comments

• PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I could access these perfectly and they worked perfectly though. I'll carry on watching YouTube videos but I'll not bother signing in, because stupid pop-ups requesting options to be chosen that aren't there to be clicked keep popping up after I've clicked the comment box. I can't be bothered fannying on with it.

And many people can't access these other new features or hate how they have changed

I can access youtube fine, no problems at all, I rarely use it though as it has sucked since Google took it over

I doubt Google will be too bothered that you stop commenting, unless figures show millions of other people with issues
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just been pushed into having a google+ page, as i wanted to comment on a video, which I don't normally do. but i have locked it down so much that it would be pretty difficult to find it and the only thing anyone will see on it is a link to my videos, which is all 3 of them :)

i know someone who uses you tube a lot for his Videos and while he realises that it is a free services, he still think they are going a bit far getting people to sign up for Google+. google could have updated the comments without google+.

A few people that have videos on you tube seems to be moving over to Daily motion as a second option.

I am not sure if I will keep the Google+ page, I can get rid of it within 14 days, but even doing that you got to jump through hoops.

I have nothing against Google+, if people want to use it then fine, like people who uses twitter or Facebook, but stop trying to push it onto people.

BTw, my real name is not on my google+ page.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I just been pushed into having a google+ page, as i wanted to comment on a video, which I don't normally do. but i have locked it down so much that it would be pretty difficult to find it and the only thing anyone will see on it is a link to my videos, which is all 3 of them :)

i know someone who uses you tube a lot for his Videos and while he realises that it is a free services, he still think they are going a bit far getting people to sign up for Google+. google could have updated the comments without google+.

A few people that have videos on you tube seems to be moving over to Daily motion as a second option.

I am not sure if I will keep the Google+ page, I can get rid of it within 14 days, but even doing that you got to jump through hoops.

I have nothing against Google+, if people want to use it then fine, like people who uses twitter or Facebook, but stop trying to push it onto people.

The trouble is, Google knows that no other video streaming site can match what they have on their site. YouTube's like eBay, in that you hardly ever get back nothing after searching for something. YouTube hardly has any competition when it comes to people uploading content. After doing a search for something just now, the results weren't as good as the ones on YouTube were. Until YouTube starts having some serious competition, other video streaming sites will continue to be way in the background.
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem with YouTube just now is I can add video's to my favourites no problem but I have one video rhat say's it's added to my favourites but it's not. And no matter how many times I click add to favourites it doesn't save it. I'm on a Google Nexus 7 tablet. Why will this video not go in my favourites when all the otheres do?
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good for you. :)
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pewds disabled comments on his videos in a protest to, at least the number one subscribed channel is doing something, he was saying links and viruses where appearing.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pewds disabled comments on his videos in a protest to, at least the number one subscribed channel is doing something, he was saying links and viruses where appearing.

Nerd3 and many others are too, I hope it spreads and then Youtube will be a "no comments" system until google change their minds back.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Nerd3 and many others are too, I hope it spreads and then Youtube will be a "no comments" system until google change their minds back.

Good to hear that some of the big channels are doing this.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Google find out it's not your real name, you'll be in violation of Google's policies. Google, as Facebook do, require Government photo ID to verify your name if they suspect you of falsifying your details, otherwise you can't use any of their services - in that case, better sell your Android phone as it'll become an up to £600 door stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Google find out it's not your real name, you'll be in violation of Google's policies. Google, as Facebook do, require Government photo ID to verify your name if they suspect you of falsifying your details, otherwise you can't use any of their services - in that case, better sell your Android phone as it'll become an up to £600 door stop.

Honestly, why are Google being such idiots about this? They've went from a system that worked absolutely perfectly, to another system that is totally cocked up. I had to create another email account because the last one wasn't active, fair enough. I verified it through the link, fair enough. I then go and try and make a comment on YouTube and it brings up this farcical pop-up that asks me to choose one of two options, but the stupid sodding thing doesn't have anything on it that's clickable. Bloody morons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, why are Google being such idiots about this? They've went from a system that worked absolutely perfectly, to another system that is totally cocked up. I had to create another email account because the last one wasn't active, fair enough. I verified it through the link, fair enough. I then go and try and make a comment on YouTube and it brings up this farcical pop-up that asks me to choose one of two options, but the stupid sodding thing doesn't have anything on it that's clickable. Bloody morons.

Adblock?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adblock?

When I say pop-up, I mean a one that looks as if it's the last stage of setting up a YouTube account. It's nothing to do with advertising anything. I should have made this clear. Anyway, I'm not creating an account with my name. I'll just stick to watching videos unless they go back to the previous system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I say pop-up, I mean a one that looks as if it's the last stage of setting up a YouTube account. It's nothing to do with advertising anything. I should have made this clear. Anyway, I'm not creating an account with my name. I'll just stick to watching videos unless they go back to the previous system.

Adblock blocks elements of pages though, I know exactly what you mean, the little square thing that you close because there's no options and then it says "ok, we'll let you decide later".

I still wonder if adblock is blocking elements of it or something. I can't be arsed myself, I'm not going to sign up to google+ so from now on until I change my mind I'm just not going to comment on videos. I suspect as their biggest Youtuber has disabled comments, not to mention many of the other top Youtubers, that google will have a re-think when the execs get back in the office on Monday and see the fallout.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adblock blocks elements of pages though, I know exactly what you mean, the little square thing that you close because there's no options and then it says "ok, we'll let you decide later".

I still wonder if adblock is blocking elements of it or something. I can't be arsed myself, I'm not going to sign up to google+ so from now on until I change my mind I'm just not going to comment on videos. I suspect as their biggest Youtuber has disabled comments, not to mention many of the other top Youtubers, that google will have a re-think when the execs get back in the office on Monday and see the fallout.

Yeah, that's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the hell do they manage to find out? :eek: Do they have real life people secretly spying on your location or something?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

Hilarious.....:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They took it from my You Tube ID, they asked if I wanted to use both names or just my real name, I said both and my you tube channel name is the one they picked for my google+ page.

i think real names are more for google+ profiles, which I don't have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Good for you. :)

I would love to get rid of the link, but I can't unless I close my channel and for the amount of stuff I got on it that is a possibility.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who's are? I share hobby video's with friends, family video's with family and all are private videos but we can all download them after being given link(s). when all are happy with the downloads you could dump them I suppose (the videos that is). Its a pretty good 'cloud' storage method when you think about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Who's are? I share hobby video's with friends, family video's with family and all are private videos but we can all download them after being given link(s). when all are happy with the downloads you could dump them I suppose (the videos that is). Its a pretty good 'cloud' storage method when you think about it.

I bet there are a few people on google+ with their real names.

Anyway, the google+ page I have got is not a Google+ profile, just a add on for my you tube channel. As i said above it is so locked down it would be difficult to find it, even a search on the net will not find it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to get rid of the link, but I can't unless I close my channel and for the amount of stuff I got on it that is a possibility.
    :(:(:(:(
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google shouldn't have made an unnecessary change to its system. It was working perfectly fine before.

Was it? Or were the comments sections on youtube largely without value and a shining example of the worst parts of internet communication?
    If Google find out it's not your real name, you'll be in violation of Google's policies. Google, as Facebook do, require Government photo ID to verify your name if they suspect you of falsifying your details

Not quite true. You are required to use a 'sensible' name, but not required to use your own.
    It's recommended that you go by your first and last name

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1228271?hl=en

Google takes action against names that don't look 'sensible', whether its because they are calling themselves CaptainCrunch or j0hnl44t or something, or because they genuinely have an unusual name such as Moon Unit Zappa. Thats when the govt issued ID process kicks in. Even then if you are 'known' online by a different name, you can justify this with "Links to online locations where a significant community knows you by this name."

if you put your name down as "John Smith", you won't need to produce ID to justify that. Giving only a first or last name is also explicitly allowed.
    You must provide a two-part name. It’s acceptable for one of these to be an initial, but not both. For example, “Jane Smith,” “Jane S.,” and “J. Smith” are allowed, but “J. S.” isn’t.

PS despite neo-wales's thoughts, most people on G+ (but definitely not all) seem to be using their real name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

from the Name policy appeals process:
    While your profile is suspended, you will not be able interact socially on some Google services, such as Google+. This will not prevent you from using other Google services, like Gmail.
    https://support.google.com/plus/answer/3049016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Was it? Or were the comments sections on youtube largely without value and a shining example of the worst parts of internet communication?

Yes, it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was.

Are you suggesting that the youtube comments weren't a wretched hive of abuse, racism, sexism and homophobia?

edit: http://main.makeuseoflimited.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/listen_to_yourself.png