Should Autism been shown in one of the soaps?

Comments

• Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autism is not a mental illness

It all falls under the broad banner of psychiatric disorder. It's the same thing.
  • Zep45Zep45 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    It all falls under the broad banner of psychiatric disorder. It's the same thing.

The term mental illness has a general connotation to it due to the term illness having a time attached to it so it typically excludes developmental disorders & dementia.

Just out of curiosity are you a real doctor?
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bella??
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member

It's a disability. Disabilities are not the same as mental illness.
  • Darth_Joker_12Darth_Joker_12 Posts: 12,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see something like EastEnders or Emmerdale have a character who has Autism.
  • Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see something like EastEnders or Emmerdale have a character who has Autism.

I think EE would be good at it, ED i don't know and CS i no longer trust with anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale would be awful as the person couldn't walk around the village without everyone knowing and treating them like a kid giving them funny looks etc

But that might be the best thing in highlighting the stigma
  • James_LanganJames_Langan Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the time talking is over. The question is when not should. do you have a disability act that you can enforce. If all associations who represent the different factions start leaning on the advertisers through every social media possible, Facebook twitter and a multitude of other means and start the campaign with your dollar power. Remind them gently that it's time to get with the times or your dollars will be going on other products. Social media boycotts and campaigns have practically brough down governments and huge corporations. Time to say when. The talking has gone on far to long. It will start with the first tweet. If you have a stake in it or you want to see fair play please feel free to be the first to get the ball rolling. All it takes is one. There will be a lot of grateful people to join you. Thanks if you agree with me. A quick edit. If this post seems to be a little mixed up I just had a near run in with a pretty large black bear in the driveway and made it into the house. I live in a rural area and they're quite common but this one got up to close to me for comfort. Anyway if the post doesn't make sense please say so and I'll rewrite it tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Holly would've had potential in Emmerdale had they chose that route for her instead of the awful drug-taking. It is so cliche now..

Holly could've had severe social anxiety which made her develop into a hermit (I.E staying in her room) and hence why men take advantage of her financially/sexually..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the time talking is over. The question is when not should. do you have a disability act that you can enforce. If all associations who represent the different factions start leaning on the advertisers through every social media possible, Facebook twitter and a multitude of other means and start the campaign with your dollar power. Remind them gently that it's time to get with the times or your dollars will be going on other products. Social media boycotts and campaigns have practically brough down governments and huge corporations. Time to say when. The talking has gone on far to long. It will start with the first tweet. If you have a stake in it or you want to see fair play please feel free to be the first to get the ball rolling. All it takes is one. There will be a lot of grateful people to join you. Thanks if you agree with me. A quick edit. If this post seems to be a little mixed up I just had a near run in with a pretty large black bear in the driveway and made it into the house. I live in a rural area and they're quite common but this one got up to close to me for comfort. Anyway if the post doesn't make sense please say so and I'll rewrite it tomorrow.

Back in the game. Nothing like a face to face meeting with a 600 lbs pissed off animal in a fur coat to make your day. Anyway, the gist of the post still stands. the talking has gone on far too long and it's time for action. Is there anyone, even one, to launch the first text or Facebook message to the stations that airs the soaps and a copy to the advertisers?. At least give it a try. You have to hit them in the pocket where it gets attention and shine a light on them that they have to be good corporate citizens. It doesn't take much of your time to achieve what really is unfair and unjust. Sorry for the the meandering post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in the game. Nothing like a face to face meeting with a 600 lbs pissed off animal in a fur coat to make your day. Anyway, the gist of the post still stands. the talking has gone on far too long and it's time for action. Is there anyone, even one, to launch the first text or Facebook message to the stations that airs the soaps and a copy to the advertisers?. At least give it a try. You have to hit them in the pocket where it gets attention and shine a light on them that they have to be good corporate citizens. It doesn't take much of your time to achieve what really is unfair and unjust. Sorry for the the meandering post.

Since when has Facebook groups forced soaps to do anything? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Since when has Facebook groups forced soaps to do anything? :confused:

Most Facebook and Twitter users have followers, friends or family or both. If you start a movement on your accounts and ask everyone to join your campaign and pass it to their followers the numbers can add up. Not everyone will join in but maybe enough to get attention. A crass remark by an executive with the clothing company lulu lemon started a Facebook and Twitter movement that just about crippled them. They will never recover from it. If you don't believe Facebook and twitter can do anything then make a personal gesture. Every time you post on here take the same time to send an email to the t.v. station and copy to the advertising agency and the advertisers. At least think about it. Let's start using the high tech version of the chain letter. And last but not least if you don't believe it will work encourage those who do.
  • Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zep45 wrote: »
    The term mental illness has a general connotation to it due to the term illness having a time attached to it so it typically excludes developmental disorders & dementia.

Just out of curiosity are you a real doctor?
    Different people say different things. I get the arguments to the contrary but I'll be honest and say I think it's all splitting hairs when it comes to defining mental illness. I'm not suggesting intellectual/learning disabilities be classed as mental illness (I wouldn't) but autism's in part a behavioural disorder. Whether or not parents like the stigma attached to having a mentally ill child it's not out of the question or totally unrealistic that some people see might see it as a mental disorder.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm autistic. I don't see it as a problem, just a way that I get to go around acting like Doc Martin or Ben Harper and just go "Oh sorry, was I rude? Autistic innit, can't help it etc..." :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm autistic. I don't see it as a problem, just a way that I get to go around acting like Doc Martin or Ben Harper and just go "Oh sorry, was I rude? Autistic innit, can't help it etc..." :D

Ben Harper out of My family on BBC?
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus89 wrote: »
    Ben Harper out of My family on BBC?

Yes, just tried to think of the two rudest characters on TV who aren't baddies.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D:cool:
  • spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 11,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spencer Gray, foster brother of Warren Fox, from Hollyoaks had the mental age of a child but was he also on the Autistic/Aspergers spectrum do you think?

Got to thinking about him recently as Warren has recently returned to the show. I know he left and seemed settled with the Valentines but he was quite a good character and I wouldn't mind seeing him back.
  • Karma_RoseKarma_Rose Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Different people say different things. I get the arguments to the contrary but I'll be honest and say I think it's all splitting hairs when it comes to defining mental illness. I'm not suggesting intellectual/learning disabilities be classed as mental illness (I wouldn't) but autism's in part a behavioural disorder. Whether or not parents like the stigma attached to having a mentally ill child it's not out of the question or totally unrealistic that some people see might see it as a mental disorder.

I am a psychologist and I can assure you it's not just "splitting hairs" - the difference between developmental 'disorders' and mental illness is incredibly vast.

My job involves primarily treating people who have dysfunctions that affect their day to day life in a negative way. Seeing the world differently does not necessarily mean that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, just tried to think of the two rudest characters on TV who aren't baddies.

Oh okay :D
    Forum Member
    I thought Holly would've had potential in Emmerdale had they chose that route for her instead of the awful drug-taking. It is so cliche now..

Holly could've had severe social anxiety which made her develop into a hermit (I.E staying in her room) and hence why men take advantage of her financially/sexually..

What symptoms does Holly have? Why do you think she would've been suitable for that storyline?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acid rain wrote: »
    What symptoms does Holly have? Why do you think she would've been suitable for that storyline?

The way she let that guy take advantage, very needy.. I'm sure it would've worked better then another drug storyline that's been done a million times already
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karma_Rose wrote: »
    I am a psychologist and I can assure you it's not just "splitting hairs" - the difference between developmental 'disorders' and mental illness is incredibly vast.

My job involves primarily treating people who have dysfunctions that affect their day to day life in a negative way. Seeing the world differently does not necessarily mean that.

Do any associations in the mental health field lobby or advise any govt body or business and industry about inclusiveness or hiring practices?
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way she let that guy take advantage, very needy.. I'm sure it would've worked better then another drug storyline that's been done a million times already

Just because someone is needy it doesn't mean they are autistic.
    Forum Member

True, but there are lots of needy women without autism.