Options

RGB Input Selection

noddylpdnoddylpd Posts: 1,905
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi can anyone assist with this question? When switching on the TV I press the input selection button to switch it to RGB mode but is there anyway to change it so that the TV comes on using this input (RGB) straight away? The TV is a Sony WS from about 1998. Let me know if you require more info.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean you want the default channel to be SCART 1 (AV1)?

I have a Sony Wega WS from around the same time, and I have done it by assigning channel #1 (usually BBC1...) to AV1. You can do this from the settings menu.

I have no terrestrial reception where I live so I have no use for the normal preset channel numbers - everything comes from the Sky box on AV1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean you want the default channel to be SCART 1 (AV1)?

I have a Sony Wega WS from around the same time, and I have done it by assigning channel #1 (usually BBC1...) to AV1. You can do this from the settings menu.

I have no terrestrial reception where I live so I have no use for the normal preset channel numbers - everything comes from the Sky box on AV1.

Hi Chris. Yes I have a Sky box connected and use AV1 which is the RGB compatible scart socket but when TV comes on I like to change the input to RGB which shifts the picture slightly to the right which in turn lines up the picture correctly. So is there anyway of changing it so the TV goes to the RGB input first or maybe change the picture setup via an engineer menu so it can be corrected anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I think I misunderstood then, the AV1 socket initially defaults to SVHS/Composite and you want it to switch to RGB?

I don't know about that to be honest, I can't remember having to set that up on my TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still confused actually! Normally there's a picture shift to the left when RGB is switched on. This can be corrected in the TV setup menus - RGB Geometry or something like that.

Is it a button on the remote you're pressing to switch to RGB?

Try going throught the TV setup menus to see if there's a setting you can change to make this permanent, or see if the instruction manual tells you anything.

Is your Sky box set to RGB?
  • Options
    HectorHector Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does your TV not automatically switch to AV1 with RGB when you turn on the RGB source, if it is connected to your TV's AV1 RGB capable scart? All my TVs do, including even a cheap Ferguson portable, which I was surprised even accepted an RGB signal.
    If your TV does not automatically switch, and some old TVs (like my parents' 10 year old Panasonic) don't, then it may be the TV or it might be that you are not using a fully wired scart. You need a fully wired scart for the autoswitching to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all! Thanks for the feedback. Right then firstly Chris the picture shifts slightly to the right when i press the change input button on the Sony remote and go to RGB. When this is done the picture is centered perfect. My Sky box is set to RGB. And now Hector my TV does witch to AV1 when switched on with Sky and is in RGB mode from AV1 but what I mean is I then press the input button to change the input from AV1 to RGB to give me the shift to the right which centres the picture perfect. So the question is can I a; change the TV to go straight to the RGB and not AV1 or b; get into some service menu to sort out the picture setup within AV1 mode? Hope that makes sense?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noddylpd wrote:
    Hi all! Thanks for the feedback. Right then firstly Chris the picture shifts slightly to the right when i press the change input button on the Sony remote and go to RGB. When this is done the picture is centered perfect. My Sky box is set to RGB. And now Hector my TV does witch to AV1 when switched on with Sky and is in RGB mode from AV1 but what I mean is I then press the input button to change the input from AV1 to RGB to give me the shift to the right which centres the picture perfect. So the question is can I a; change the TV to go straight to the RGB and not AV1 or b; get into some service menu to sort out the picture setup within AV1 mode? Hope that makes sense?

My Sony does the same. When Sky is switched on it automatically goes to AV1 and displays an RGB picture, however this picture has RGB shift on it. If I press the AV button "RGB" is displayed on the screen and the RGB shift is removed with the picture still in RGB mode.

If I choose a key such as 9 to be preset to RGB the shift is removed but the TV does not auto-switch between 4:3 and 16:9.

I've never found a solution to this.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One way to get around this problem would be to use a universal remote control with macro facility.

A key could be programmed that would

TV (Sky)
    Sky (Sky)
    AV (TV)

this would leave the TV in RGB mode with the RGB shift cancelled.