Options

Question about TV license

TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you only use a television for personal entertainment such as DVD's or even gaming consoles such as Playstation3 , Xbox etc... do you need a have TV license ?

It only occurred to me when my friend said to me he does not watch any TV Channels nor does he have any Digital receivers to get them , he only uses his TV for the reasons i had mentioned above , he also does not view any TV channels online , yet he has a TV license.

Comments

• Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No licence needed. Even if you watch shows on iPlayer after the original broadcast, ie not live, you don't need a licence.

You only need a licence to receive live broadcast TV, which includes recording it onto a recorder or hard drive.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not 100% certain but I'm sure I was once told that if you have a TV capable of receiving live TV broadcasts you need a licence even if you never watch them,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not 100% certain but I'm sure I was once told that if you have a TV capable of receiving live TV broadcasts you need a licence even if you never watch them,

No. TV Licence website.

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with zz9 - an installation that consists of non-receiving TV with a games console/DVD player/CCTV and a PC that access only VOD services do not require a licence.

You should be aware that the BBC/"TVL" will "professionally doubtful" that anyone can survive without broadcast TV, and will ask that you confirm this to them (by phone, post or web). You do not *have* to do this. If you do not, they will send you letters every month, indefinitely. If you do, the letters *should* stop, though around 10% of people report otherwise.

Either way, they may also call at your home with the intention of investigating your lack of a licence. You do not have to participate and can simply send them away.

Some people advocate simply ignoring them, which works well in a single person household. Otherwise, I'd recommend the strategy I suggested here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1125908&highlight=
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    No. TV Licence website.

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

Actually davelovesleeds is correct, because the above are merely examples of when you require a licence. You require a licence if you have a television receiver installed, whether or not you actually use it to watch "as live" tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Actually davelovesleeds is correct, because the above are merely examples of when you require a licence. You require a licence if you have a television receiver installed, whether or not you actually use it to watch "as live" tv.

Only if you fit it to an aerial lead and aerial. If you do that then the TV is receiving broadcasts, even if you have not selected a channel.

If you only use a set for DVDs and video games and do not have an aerial lead then you are not receiving broadcast TV and do not need a licence.

But in that case why would you fit an aerial lead anyway? The TV may be "capable" of receiving a signal, but not without an aerial.