Can Sonia make a come back?

RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
Forum Member
We all love a cute ginger Liverpudlian don't we? Can she come back and slay the charts? Never forget this massive hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmFD8_0q9U

Comments

• RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoadRover wrote: »
    We all love a cute ginger Liverpudlian don't we? Can she come back and slay the charts? Never forget this massive hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmFD8_0q9U

No we don't. No she can't. I'm not even going to click on that ;-)
  • RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    why not? are u a gingeriest scousist?
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not (really) ashamed to say that I was a massive fan of hers back in the day.

IMO 'Everybody Knows' is/was in the Top 5 albums produced by SAW.

I don't think her reputation ever recovered from the Dawn French skit really, much like Craig David never really got over the Avid Merrion shows.
    Forum Member
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I'm not (really) ashamed to say that I was a massive fan of hers back in the day.

I don't think her reputation ever recovered from the Dawn French skit really, much like Craig David never really got over the Avid Merrion shows.

LOL What was the Dawn French skit?? Have u got a link?
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I cant see sonia without thinking 'ginger, singer, liverpoooool'
    It was dawn french as her on startest
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why not? are u a gingeriest scousist?

Not at all...just Sonia ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Enjoy:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ7O8nYnsbQ
  • LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hew?:kitty:
    Forum Member
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,554
    Forum Member

Being in the top 5 albums produced by SAW is a bit like being in the top 5 wars started by Tony Blair.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all love a cute ginger Liverpudlian don't we? ]

NO

and NO we dont want that talentless bint back...sorry..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being in the top 5 albums produced by SAW is a bit like being in the top 5 wars started by Tony Blair.

That's your opinion of course, which is no more or less valid than mine.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,554
    Forum Member
    That's your opinion of course, which is no more or less valid than mine.

Well yes, clearly it is my opinion as I said it.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What reputation she was crap...though judging by todays chart toppers she would fit right in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    What reputation she was crap...though judging by todays chart toppers she would fit right in.

:D:D
    I think the difference was though that she could in fact sing live and do it well.
    Yes, she was cheesy, but she proved with albums 2 & 3 that she had matured as a performer and with her voice.

I know she wasn't everyones cup of tea as it were, but as a singer, I think she could definitely hold her own against more well known stars at the time.

SAW were as much to blame as she was though, because of the way she was marketed, even down to the little heart above the 'i' in her name on her records. By the time her second album came around, people still associated her as the laughing scouser and she never got to bounce back from that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another SAW argument is long overdue ... lol,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another SAW argument is long overdue ... lol,

Please no, I beg you!
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NO

and NO we dont want that talentless bint back...sorry..

she was hardly talentless. She had a very good live singing voice. The autotuned miming wonders of today could learn a thing or two
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be interesting to see her make a comeback, but I am surprised she has not been on a reality TV show.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheesy as hell, but even with her being at the age of 43, I would rather listen to her than 1D. :D
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I really liked Never Stop Me Loving You. Its a really fun summer song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she was hardly talentless. She had a very good live singing voice. The autotuned miming wonders of today could learn a thing or two

thats a matter of taste, not fact. :p

maybe if she wasnt produced by the devils trio and got some decent material... but comparing her to the accepted greats like karen carpenter etc and she doesnt compare well. i mean, objectively is there any 'best of' listing regarding female vocalists that credit her as good?
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was cute and sexy and seemed like a nice lass. Comeback though? Not a hope in hell.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once got mistaken for her many, many years ago by a group of Japanese tourists in London. I was with some friends at the time and to this day they still call me Sonia. Of course I signed autographs :D:D I looked nothing like her but I had a mass of curly red hair
  • jake_moore08jake_moore08 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Didn't she have a new one-off single out a few years back? I think if she was to make a real comeback now, her music would have to be more mature, as she is in her 40s now and her fans will have moved on.

Anyway, I think she had a great personality and although her music didn't appeal to me, I still think she could sing.