Mortdecai (Johnny Depp)

necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Getting an absolute caning by critics, just 7% on Rotten Tomatoes. And it's not expected to open above $10 million at the North American box office :o

Comments

• sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The posters on the side of buses don't help, it looks awful!
  • FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it yesterday. Oh dear...

This could have been a fun silly film but it lacks the lightness of touch necessary to make it work. The script is pretty poor but Depp's performance really doesn't help - he plays it in a very knowingly arch manner but the key to making material as ridiculous as this work is to play it straight.

Paul Bettany on the other hand is very good - he gets the tone just right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Why would anyone bother with a Johnny Depp film, his become a washed up failed actor. It's embracing enough his only made two decant films during the past decade.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jalal wrote: »
    Why would anyone bother with a Johnny Depp film, his become a washed up failed actor. It's embracing enough his only made two decant films during the past decade.

There will come a time when his roles will decrease because he has had a fair few of flops over the years, and Directors never like that in their actors. They want actors who are going to attract big numbers

His movie choices become appalling as he gets older. They come across as full of desperation. As if he is in need of the pay cheque desperately to get himself out of debt and he doesn't care if the films are good or bad.

Zero sympathy for him to be honest. He's at that stage in his career when he doesn't need to do these films he is doing as if he is trying to prove himself like a fresh new young actor does.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Oh Johnny Depp, what the hell happened?

He badly needs to hope for a McConaissance.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Putting my long-time dislike of Depp aside, he's never been that good of an actor, let's be honest, but he does have screen charisma, which most actors don't have, and a tendency to challenge himself whenever possible.

I think he's exploring the comedy film genre, undeniably the toughest to pull off. I don't know why he's so interested in comedy, though. Maybe he likes Peter Sellers? :confused:

He'll have his comeback. They all do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    I don't think his got any charisma, not the way some of the heavy hitters in Hollywood have like Dicaprio, Bale or Matthew McConaughey.

I would say his screen presence has been strong when his been piled off with inferior characters or actors like in the Pirates or his other Disney films. His made some great films in the past like From Hell, Edwards Scissorshands and Donnie Brasco but to most people he'll only be remembered as Jack Sparrow.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Putting my long-time dislike of Depp aside, he's never been that good of an actor, let's be honest, but he does have screen charisma, which most actors don't have, and a tendency to challenge himself whenever possible.

I think he's exploring the comedy film genre, undeniably the toughest to pull off. I don't know why he's so interested in comedy, though. Maybe he likes Peter Sellers? :confused:

He'll have his comeback. They all do.

Yeah...and he didn't waste any time in throwing himself into another role...in Pirates of the Carribean 5...:D:D:D
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    From Boxofficemojo: "Mordecai blew away expectations this weekend with a stunning $70.5m debut. The jaunty Johnny Depp-starrer reduced American Sniper to second..."

I'm lying of course. It clocked in with a truly dismal $4.1m. It'll probably do better abroad as Depp's films sometimes do (it could hardly do worse), but it still shows just how far his star has fallen.

Hollywood is a slow beast, and as with his more recent misfires, Mordecai was probably a going concern when he was still bankable. It's a situation difficult to adjust, so the duds line up together, like the traffic jam in Week End.

I agree he'll probably have a comeback, but the upswing will need to be as well planned as the descent. Pirates 5 to start then, eh?
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably going to see Mortdecai this weekend. I don't mind Johnny Depp, He never takes obvious roles. He could have easily played on his looks over the years, but instead opted for bizarre characters in bizarre movies. I respect him for that. I've not liked everything he's done, and he's worked with Tim Burton too many times for me, but I'll still go watch a movie because he's in it. Mortdecai to me looks like he's channelling Terry Thomas, which has an appeal as I loved those old black and white comedies.
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked Mortdecai. It has it's problems, but I don't believe it justifies the panning it's received.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think his got any charisma, not the way some of the heavy hitters in Hollywood have like Dicaprio, Bale or Matthew McConaughey.

I would say his screen presence has been strong when his been piled off with inferior characters or actors like in the Pirates or his other Disney films. His made some great films in the past like From Hell, Edwards Scissorshands and Donnie Brasco but to most people he'll only be remembered as Jack Sparrow.

Johnny Depp is interesting as a film star, because after a few films where he was praised, people began to say 'he was good in Ed Wood but his later films have been poor', then it became 'his earlier films were good but Pirates was terrible' and then that changed to 'His early films, and Pirates were good but he has gone wrong after those'.

We always want to say that anyone good has got worse. (Like the universal calls for Gazza to be dumped, then that goal against Scotland, then that became good but 'he has gone off since'). I think we want to drag people down to our own level, it Is easier than making our own efforts to do well. But it would take someone with a greater knowledge of human psychology than I have to explain properly.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Johnny Depp is interesting as a film star, because after a few films where he was praised, people began to say 'he was good in Ed Wood but his later films have been poor', then it became 'his earlier films were good but Pirates was terrible' and then that changed to 'His early films, and Pirates were good but he has gone wrong after those'.

We always want to say that anyone good has got worse. (Like the universal calls for Gazza to be dumped, then that goal against Scotland, then that became good but 'he has gone off since'). I think we want to drag people down to our own level, it Is easier than making our own efforts to do well. But it would take someone with a greater knowledge of human psychology than I have to explain properly.

I agree, the media likes to make stories out of these people's lives.

The slating of his skills has been created because he has gone on to be too mainstream now it's time to bring him down a peg or two so he does that one big movie that will make everyone love him again.

I don't give two hoots what movie critics think, look at the academy awards. More often than not the more deserving films and actors get overlooked. I'll make up my own mind.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will come a time when his roles will decrease because he has had a fair few of flops over the years, and Directors never like that in their actors. They want actors who are going to attract big numbers

His movie choices become appalling as he gets older. They come across as full of desperation. As if he is in need of the pay cheque desperately to get himself out of debt and he doesn't care if the films are good or bad.

Zero sympathy for him to be honest. He's at that stage in his career when he doesn't need to do these films he is doing as if he is trying to prove himself like a fresh new young actor does.

Depp has said that he stopped caring about the critics a long time ago and that he does films for himself. I don't doubt his sincerity in that over money. But more fool the people who finance his films since his BO takings haven a significant dive.

I'm one of the few who prefers him in his so called 'wacky' roles. I never thought he was that remarkable of a dramatic actor, at least compared to the guys you mentioned. Any character he has played that comes close to resembling his real life self (well maybe the exception of Finding Neverland), he's come off as really bland. Though even his eccentric roles of late are one note. I'm a big fan of Depp overall though and the trailers for Mortdecai did look funny IMO...
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    I don't give two hoots what movie critics think, look at the academy awards. More often than not the more deserving films and actors get overlooked. I'll make up my own mind.

Exactly, and I'd add box office success to the list of things I don't care about. Commercial success, for me, is no guarantee of whether I'll like something, Quite the opposite usually; I'd much rather see a Johnny Depp film that tanks than a Tom Hanks film that's a massive success for example.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <<< Quite the opposite usually; I'd much rather see a Johnny Depp film that tanks than a Tom Hanks film that's a massive success for example. >>>

Hooray to that. It didn't tank, but J Depp was great in Chocolat even though he apparently did nothing.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. I have a friend who greatly admires the Kyril Bonfiglioli novels
    on which "Mortdecai" is based, so I was going to give it a look....but
    now, after all the negative reviews, I think I'll pass.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    <<< Quite the opposite usually; I'd much rather see a Johnny Depp film that tanks than a Tom Hanks film that's a massive success for example. >>>

Hooray to that. It didn't tank, but J Depp was great in Chocolat even though he apparently did nothing.

Wasn't he in Chocolat only for about twenty minutes? Didn't talk much, either. My memory is probably wrong, but that's what I am remembering.