Horse Racing 2014

davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sad news to begin this years' thread

Terry Biddlecombe has died

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/9102753/racing-mourns-biddlecombe

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Terry

He was one of the few jockeys who's name was known to the wider public......I didn't follow racing when he was riding but I certainly knew of him
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only just heard this, how very sad. What a great character
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great tribute package from Channel 4 today to him. Perfect words from Jim McGrath.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy decision it seems from Daryl Jacob - who doesn't fancy riding Big Bucks in his comeback race. I doubt Paul Nicholls would bring the horse back if he didn't think he could do himself justice as he is not that sort of trainer.

Ride goes to Sam Twiston-Davies - odd doesn't even begin to cover it as these are the rides that you must dream of.:confused:
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't genuinely see Jacob as the big long term answer for the Nicholls stable.

Maybe they see Sam Twiston-Davies as their man for the future. I also thought they might offer Davy Russell a few rides as well.

STD (bit of an unfortunate acronym there) has a huge future as a top rider, when McCoy packs up the next off the rank is likely to be a youngster and maybe he and Bryan Cooper are the big two to watch either side of the Irish Sea.
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Such a shame. Lovely horse who fought everything right upto the end.
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sad news indeed,I thought he was on the mend
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankel's first foal has arrived. Born on Sir Henry's birthday as well...now there's an omen :)

Dual Group-winning mare Chrysanthemum produced an attractive bay colt at 20.30 on Saturday 11th January 2014 at Coolmore Stud in Ireland. The stud reported that the foal is a handsome colt with a good head, a white blaze and great presence.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/9116980/first-frankel-foal-born
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathaniel and Excelebration have also had their first foals born.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frankie is making his comeback from a broken ankle today with 3 rides booked at Lingfield.......first ride in the opener at 1.00pm

The injury cost him an Arc win on superstar Treve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    .....and his first ride wins at 8/1 !

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ....and his 2nd ride back wins as well.....:o

wonder how much is going on his last ride in accas ?
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Frankie back in the winners enclosure

There have been gambles today on 4 ex Barney Curley horses

The first 3 have won and the 4th is Low Key in the 6.25 at Kempton

Eye Of The Tiger made his debut for Des Donovan in the 1.30 at Lingfield and returned the nine-length winner at even money having been as big as 5/1 in the morning.

Just 10 minutes later at Catterick, Seven Summits had his second start over hurdles in the colours of former BHA handicapper Christian Leech.

His wife, Sophie, trains the former Curley inmate and the seven year old battled hard to land odds of 9/4 having been an 8/1 chance with some bookies earlier in the day.

Next up was Indus Valley who went off at 4/6 having been 15/2 in the morning in the kempton.co.uk Handicap at 4.25.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/9128374/first-three-deliver-in-gamble
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    All eyes on Racing UK to see if this incredible gamble will be landed in the 6:25.

Briefly I thought Graham Lee and Seamster were going to spoil the party in the 4:25. Squeaky bums at the 1 furlong peg, for sure!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Low Key has opened up at 1/4

Don't think I'll be getting involved at that price

2nd fav is 7/2 so that's not really an ew opportunity either
    Forum Member
    Not had a bean on any of the runners (might have done at last night's prices if I'd had 'word'!!) but still fascinated to watch the 6:25.

The pressure's on Keniry, wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. 1/4 you say?? Utter madness. But a bit of mad is fun occasionally. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Not had a bean on any of the runners (might have done at last night's prices if I'd had 'word'!!) but still fascinated to watch the 6:25.

The pressure's on Keniry, wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. 1/4 you say?? Utter madness. But a bit of mad is fun occasionally. :D

He's 4/7 now......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He won at 4/7

Gambles landed
    Forum Member
    Declan Meagher ‏@declanmeagher76 1m
    Seemingly Bet 365 priced up the Curley acca at over 9000/1 last night. Sp just under 16/1. #SlightDifferenceOfOpinion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Declan Meagher ‏@declanmeagher76 1m
    Seemingly Bet 365 priced up the Curley acca at over 9000/1 last night. Sp just under 16/1. #SlightDifferenceOfOpinion

Hope the connections made a few quid today. It'll make up for when the gambles go astray
    Forum Member
    One more gamble to come in the last. Not believed to be connected to the Curley one in any way. But Callisto Light is as short as 11/10 on her return from an 821 day absence for a small yard that only had a 7% strike rate last year (4 winners).

A crazy day in the world of UK horse racing continues!! The bookies are feeling the heat for a change.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe anybody thinks "good luck for the gamble being landed". Connections of these horses have been cheating the public by not running these horses to anywhere near what they are capable of.

Take EYE OF THE TIGER as an example - here are his 6 previous runs:
    debut - 4th of 5 runners beaten 107 lengths!!
    2nd run - 14th of 15th beaten 41 lengths!!
    3rd run - last of 10 runners beaten 36 lengths!!
    4th run - last of 10 runners beaten 110 lengths!!
    5th run - last of 15 runners beaten 112 lengths!!
    6th run - last of 13 runners beaten 84 lengths!!

7th time lucky then @evens ... what an absolute gangster Curley is.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Said on the paper review on SSN that 15 million had been won (I imagine that's a bit exaggerated)

Good luck to them. I have no problems in horses being laid out for a gamble.

Wasn't Barney banned from racecourses or something similar . I think a biography of him would be a good watch

Edit. On the racing review it says the gamble was £2 million

(The 15 mill was from the Mirror iirc)
  • bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems to be another gamble taking place.

pipers piping (5:00 kempton) 22/1 into 2/1