Country Music fans: Name some of your favourite tracks

Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
Forum Member
IMO it is a dying genre but one PURE old country and western music was amazing anyone else agree?

Comments

• SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ten most favorite songs come from my most favorite singer James Otto. :):):)

"Dam* Right"
    "Lets Just Let Go"
    "Never Say Good Bye"
    "The Bigger The Caddy"
    "I Got Your Back"
    "Wide Open"
    "The Blues Can't Find Me Here"
    "Bad Reputation"
    "You Don't Act Like My Woman"
    "For You"

God bless you and him always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big country fan at all but I do love a few of these songs.

Martha Wainwright
    Kris Kristofferson
    Johnny Cash

I like a lot of bands that might be called country-tinged rock but not as much what I would call pure country.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't a dying genre. Because it's nearly everywhere you go in the states. It just isn't as hugely commericial and mainstream as perhaps it once was. Too many country artists sound the same though. I think the only ones of today's generations who truly stand out is Carrie Underwood and Kacey Musgraves.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't a dying genre. Because it's nearly everywhere you go in the states. It just isn't as hugely commericial and mainstream as perhaps it once was. Too many country artists sound the same though. I think the only ones of today's generations who truly stand out is Carrie Underwood and Kacey Musgraves.

I agree, but I'd add Miranda Lambert & Alison Krauss to the list as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I agree, but I'd add Miranda Lambert & Alison Krauss to the list as well.

Oh yeah

I forgot Miranda

I didn't mention Allison as she is pretty much well established and not really of today's new generation.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like a lot of what many would call the cheesy c&w from the 70s, the pop side of c&w like johnny cash, Kenny rogers, dolly parton etc. songs like convoy and other stuff that's barely c&w

I also like some of the more recent alt.country stuff, but not a fan of the garth brooks type of modern stuff. I liked taylor swifts first couple of country pop albums though

I also think before he cheats by carrie underwood is a great track but don't take her seriously due to her tv connections
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    I also think before he cheats by carrie underwood is a great track but don't take her seriously due to her tv connections

Can I ask why not? Why does the fact she got her start on American Idol matter? Just like with Kelly Clarkson, she's gone on to have great success because of her talent and hard work, and I'd say the fact she won American Idol is completely irrelevant now.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of John Denver's best tracks-
    "Im Sorry" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjOAWXZJSI
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puscifer - Cuntry Boner
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I like country a lot, but mostly from the 70s with a bit of 60s thrown in.

A couple of years ago I heard Buck Owens' I've Got A Tiger By The Tail and started to explore the genre beginning with the 1965 (?) album of the same name.

Since then I've got into Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson quite a lot. I also really like Ricky Skaggs' material from the 90s and all of Ry Cooder's material from this millennium (although strictly speaking Cooder isn't typically Country, or what is associate with Country, but his American roots music, while not toe tappingly accessible, it's bloody fantastic).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Can I ask why not? Why does the fact she got her start on American Idol matter? Just like with Kelly Clarkson, she's gone on to have great success because of her talent and hard work, and I'd say the fact she won American Idol is completely irrelevant now.

I don't take Kelly Clarkson seriously either. nor anyone else from any of those similar "talent" shows from the last 15 years or so. she didn't write the track, and whilst her name is the biggest one visually on the record, it's only one in a army length list of the team of people who put the record together specifically to capitalise financially from a network television show. you could basically swap carrie with another female singer and have a hit with that song without carrie existing. and bar one co-writing credit along with two other people, the same could be said for the some hearts album
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    A Country Christmas - all Country fans should check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv9i0e5OLlo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of old Country I love Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline.

Also, it's a pure shameless plug but if you like old country music my music is inspired by 60s and 70s country. You can have a listen if you like :)
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tennessee Waltz - Patsy Cline.

The way her voice breaks off on the notes is a thing of real beauty.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by Dwight Yoakum especially from the Hillbilly Deluxe album
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Pistol Annies

Hell On Heels
    Girls Like Us
    I Feel A Sin Comin' On
    Trailer For Rent

Kacey Musgraves

Merry Go Round
    Follow Your Arrow
    Step Off
    I Miss You

Miranda Lambert

Time To Get A Gun
    Gunpowder & Lead
    Platinum
    Same Old You
    Old Sh*t
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    I don't take Kelly Clarkson seriously either. nor anyone else from any of those similar "talent" shows from the last 15 years or so. she didn't write the track, and whilst her name is the biggest one visually on the record, it's only one in a army length list of the team of people who put the record together specifically to capitalise financially from a network television show. you could basically swap carrie with another female singer and have a hit with that song without carrie existing. and bar one co-writing credit along with two other people, the same could be said for the some hearts album

Both Kelly and Carrie can hold a tune though, they are echelons above the "talent" we see on UK based reality shows.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemme also give massive props to Leann Rimes version of "Blue", though it's one of those songs where you can't help but wonder how amazing it would have sounded if Patsy got a chance to record it before she died.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Older stuff, Johnny Cash, luther played the boogie, were you there when they crucified my lord, far side banks of jordan. Loretta Lynn, dont come home a drinkin, coal miners daughter, Kitty Wells, it wasnt god who made honky tonk angels. Hank 1, everything. Waylon Jennings, luckenbach, mommas dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, Merle Haggard. Everything. Tom T Hall, never heard a bad tune.

More recent stuff. Dale Watson, wish I was crazy again, Alan Jackson, here in the real world, gone country, tall tall trees, Jamey Johnson, make the world go away, George Strait, amarillo by morning, the chair, ocean front property. Blake Shelton, ol red, austin, the baby, who are you when I'm not looking. Miranda Lambert, over you, platinum, dry town.

The list could go on and on, love tracks by Dierks Bentley, Trace Adkins, Rodney Atkins, Hank Jr, Kris, Reba etc etc etc. My all time favourite track is Alan Jacksons here in the real world.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel because I'm from NI that I/we have some part in the development of this music. That the roots of C/W are here in Ireland and that's why we like it so much. It's story tellers music.
    Here's a sample of my favs, there are many more.

Trisha Yearwood - 'She's in Love with the Boy'
    Waylon Jennings - 'Are you sure Hank done it that way'
    Mary Chapin Carpenter - 'He thinks he'll Keep Her'
    Alan Jackson - 'The Little Man'
    Alabama - 'Song of the South'
    Brooks and Dunn - 'Red Dirt Road'
    The Dixie Chicks - 'Cowboy Take Me away'
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a huge fan of country music, i probably only know the really commercial stuff, Although after a long dig around in my iTunes collection these are the ones ive grown to love over the years...

Dolly Parton - Coat Of Many Colours
    Bobbie Gentry - I Saw an Angel Die
    Hank Williams - Your Cheating Heart
    Patsy Cline - Stop the World (And Let Me Off)
    Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both Kelly and Carrie can hold a tune though, they are echelons above the "talent" we see on UK based reality shows.

i wouldn't know about that as i wouldn't watch any of that shite either. i don't think they get acts like jedward on the american version though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skeeter Davis - The end of the world
    Gorgeous track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sonLd-32ns4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.
    Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen - 'Smoke Smoke Smoke'
    Waylon Jennings - 'Are you sure Hank done it this way'
    Vassar Clements - pretty well anything
    Joe Ely - 'Gimme a ride to heaven boy'

Christmas: Lumberhorn - 18 Wheels to Bethlehem
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SneCkM0bJq0

Leaving on a jet plane.

I love this song. It reminds me of the Velvet Underground a bit. I know that's a weird connection but I can hear it a bit, especially at the start.