JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw it this morning. Quite brilliant.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the cinema or has the oscar screener leaked?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hoping to see this tomorow. :)
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I've advised my parents that Birdman seems to be getting great reviews........they might go see it this weekend (hope it's worth it for them)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the cinema or has the oscar screener leaked?

Cinema - opened in the UK today. Went to a nice early 9:25am screening at my local VUE.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Is the Birdman film anything to do with the 60's cartoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alXW_hS0gSo :D
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cinema - opened in the UK today. Went to a nice early 9:25am screening at my local VUE.

Is the acting as brilliant as it is made out to be?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the acting as brilliant as it is made out to be?

Aside from Keaton, who is brilliant, for me personally, the rest of the cast are just very good but maybe not quite brilliant.

Emma Stone is certainly better in this than anything else i've seen her in though.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The premise sounds intriguing, and it seems to be getting very favourable reviews. Be one for Sky Box Office though rather than the cinema. I like to be able to pause, get a drink, resume etc - especially with anything that might demand my concentration.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go get that Oscar Birdman! ;)
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The premise sounds intriguing, and it seems to be getting very favourable reviews. Be one for Sky Box Office though rather than the cinema. I like to be able to pause, get a drink, resume etc - especially with anything that might demand my concentration.

Isn't stopping or pausing, worse for your attention span?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an odd film. There are scenes in it which are amazingly brilliant, but I'm not sure the film works as a cohesive whole. i wouldn't be disappointed if it won acting Oscars though.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After all the hype about the film I just couldn't help but feel underwhelmed by it. Don't get me wrong, it is shot and directed beautifully, it has some great performances, plus it has an interesting take on psychosis and depression. I guess it comes down to it being a film I can admire and respect, I just can't get as enthusiastic about it as the early reviews and reactions.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big superhero film fan / like Michael Keaton from his Batman days too, but this seems to quirky and offbeat for my sensibilities. My girlfriend is, however, oddly keen to see this (I want to see The Theory of Everything instead!).

So, is Birdman likely to be too weird for me?Is this going to be like Sunshine of the Spotless Mind / that Michel Gondry film with Jack Black (one with the video store?). Didn't like either of those "arty" movies...

Has anyone seen both Birdman / Theory and if so, which did you rate better? Thanks!
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Can't believe I'm only three days into the new year and already I may just have seen my favourite film of 2015.

Collectively the cast are so three dimensional & realistic this feels more like a documentary than a work of fiction and in addition to that individual scenes are joined together so seamlessly you'd be forgiven for thinking the entire movie was shot in no more than one or two takes.

Michael Keaton unquestionably gives a career best performance but Edward Norton comes very, very close to stealing the show and Emma Stone (an actress I usually don't have a lot of time for) is absolutely note perfect in her role.

Admittedly this film won't be for everyone but as far as I'm concerned this is a flawless comedic drama that did more than enough to deserve a 10/10 from me :cool: ...
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed it massively. Hugely original. Although it has funny moments, I have trouble with it being categorised as a "comedy". It deals with actors, narcissism and egos of course, but also a nervous breakdown. I hope the old farts at the Academy don't reward the safer biopics and their (good) actors with Oscars ahead of Birdman and Keaton, as his part must have been hell on wheels difficult and he carries it off brilliantly. He has that manic energy and vulnerability that carries it beyond what it might have been with a different actor.
    Oscars are superficial but it'd be great to see this film and MK pick one up.
    Pity that the score is ineligible.
  • Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This film seems to take the mick out of Michael Keaton Batman films because he is in Birdman.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    James King has given it a very good review.
  • stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this the other day and bloody loved it.
    Some brilliant performances and the way it's shot is just great. Already prefer it to anything I saw last year.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Really loved this film, a fantastic satire on showbiz, and a study of breakdown and the urge to free oneself from being weighed down by the past. Keaton was fantastic and deserves the Oscar nod. Will certainly be rewatching this again soon.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outstanding in so many different areas, the cast obviously but was there really a weak area in this film? It had a manic intensity about it, i felt i was locked in the ward of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest watching this.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walked out of this after about an hour on Saturday. i never walk out of films, ever, but this just bored me to tears. The tipping point was the soundtrack though, that horrid improv-jazz drumming, mixed way too high. Were it not for that I may have persevered, but I was pretty bored by the whole thing anyway. Yes, the performances were good, it was well shot, blah, blah, blah, but nothing seemed to be actually happening, it just seemed like so much navel gazing and I found the whole thing incredibly pretentious.
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it massively. Hugely original. Although it has funny moments, I have trouble with it being categorised as a "comedy". It deals with actors, narcissism and egos of course, but also a nervous breakdown. I hope the old farts at the Academy don't reward the safer biopics and their (good) actors with Oscars ahead of Birdman and Keaton, as his part must have been hell on wheels difficult and he carries it off brilliantly. He has that manic energy and vulnerability that carries it beyond what it might have been with a different actor.
    Oscars are superficial but it'd be great to see this film and MK pick one up.
    Pity that the score is ineligible.

The academy also likes to reward older actors for their work in the business. I would think MK would be the sentimental favourite plus the subject matter is dear to anyone in the industry. Every actor will get where he is coming from. His acting in it is one of the best performances I have seen in years.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made 2 hours feel like 3 months, art house pretentious cobblers.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After all the hype about the film I just couldn't help but feel underwhelmed by it. Don't get me wrong, it is shot and directed beautifully, it has some great performances, plus it has an interesting take on psychosis and depression. I guess it comes down to it being a film I can admire and respect, I just can't get as enthusiastic about it as the early reviews and reactions.

I agree totally with this.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad it's been Oscar nominated. Loved this film.