A clingy terrier

MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My mum passed away 6 weeks ago and I have inherited her terrier. He is a dote of a dog but he is clung on to me. As I type this he is siting next to me. He follow me everywhere and inconstantly trying to lick me. He is always growling at my very timid lab. I know he misses my Mum as they were great old pals but is there any advice on how to make him less clingy.

Comments

• marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem with Tillie my rescue. She's my girl through and through. Stuck to me from the moment I got her. I don't mind her following me around or sitting where I sit. I have 3 dogs and it's nice to have her with me while the others are doing their own thing.

I did however not allow her to be jaelous of my other two. That was a problem for months. She would growl and snap if Lola my other dog came on my bed and stuff. The worst thing for Tillie is me being angry with her. She hates it. If she snapped or growled I'd make her get away from me and sit away on the floor and ignore her. Then after a while call her back and that's her punishment over. It took a few months but it worked.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try that. Thanks
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah give it a go. When I call Tillie back after she's been naughty she smothers me with love and kisses saying sorry. She soon learnt because she hates being in my bad books