Options

What's your opinion on The Angel Of The North?

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm still not sure personally. Also is it really a good idea to have something like that beside the motorway? What about people who are driving along? Does it cause accidents.

Perhaps what I'm going to say here may seem unkind (so you've been warned). However it strikes me as the sort of sculpture piece that would have gone down well in Nazi Germany. The imposing size of it, the symmetrical form seem to me vaguely fascist. The name is also curious. Can you imagine there being an Angel of the South? It's almost like a decision was made to build a monument for people who've been 'left behind'. So whilst London was getting Canary Wharf and now the Shard the north could have its monument that through it size tells you 'we're important.' Is that a point that needs to be made?

Let's just be clear this is not about northerners. Anthony Gormley attended public school in Yorkshire before heading to Trinity Cambridge and after that London. He is hardly the stereotypical northerner. Who were the people on the Lottery who commissioned it? I'd hazard a guess many of them never went to or were interested in the north.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting and attractive sculpture, and is barely visible as you drive past now - I went past it a few weeks back.

You claim it's not 'about northerners', but that seems exactly what your post is about - simply trying to create tension between North and South.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's beautiful. You get a lovely view of it if you are on the train going to Newcastle/Edinburgh.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am also a fan.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canary Wharf and the Shard are office buildings, not monuments. Don't see where this comparison comes from.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like it. My only problem is that the only place you seem to be able to get a good view of it is from the A1 itself - can any locals confirm or are there good vantage points that don't involve standing on the carriageway?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I think it's a great idea to have art visible from motorways. It helps brighten up dull motorway driving.

As for the Angel, I do kinda see what you mean about the upright, human figure being suggestive of the sort of thing that might have appealed to fascist regimes of the 20th century. However, I feel figure projects the quality of stoicism than triumphalism.

I like it.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    I like it on many levels, and I'm a big fan of public artwork large enough to be visible from the road. Like The Kelpies, it's big enough to be impressive without tearing your attention away from the road.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wings are a bit rubbish. I neither hate it or love it overall.
  • Options
    eyeballgodeyeballgod Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I drove past it twice before I spotted it. I was looking for the bleeding thing to photograph it! It looks good up close though - was smaller than I was expecting.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    However it strikes me as the sort of sculpture piece that would have gone down well in Nazi Germany.

Strewth! I dread to imagine what you think of the Statue of Liberty! She's got her right arm raised in salute! :o
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's OK, but a 50m Sephiroth would've been far better.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was expecting something bigger and more impressive...as the actress said to the bishop.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's bloody ugly, and yes I have seen it in person. I'm not really a fan of modern art though. It's usually pretentious bollocks.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Londoner, I was living in Newcastle when quite a few locals rebelled against the installation of a 'potential eyesore'. They showed up in local papers and TV news programmes, complaining and protesting.

If I remember rightly, the feeling was that it didn't reflect the plight of coal miners. There was a strong feeling that there should be statues of the coal miners. The plan went ahead regardless. It was half-done when I moved away.

I didn't return to Newcastle until maybe eight years ago. Coming up that motorway, I was surprised to see it as I forgot. I thought it looked fantastic. Made me think of that statue in Rio de Janeiro and Tower of the Sun in Japan.

I also thought it reflected the North East pretty well, too. Down to earth yet imaginative, solid and protective, and whimsy yet resilient. It can endure anything life throws. Almost as if it's saying "I can handle anything. Bring it on."
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. I think it's unique and I like seeing it.
    It kind of reminds me of those chalk men that are carved out on hillsides, though I couldn't say why exactly.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eyeballgod wrote: »
    I drove past it twice before I spotted it. I was looking for the bleeding thing to photograph it! It looks good up close though - was smaller than I was expecting.

It's huge close up, the toes are as big as a person, you have to go a long way back to get a photo and anyone standing underneath it looks tiny on the photo.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Rusty lump of metal. The wings are horribly out of proportion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I also thought it reflected the North East pretty well, too. Down to earth yet imaginative, solid and protective, and whimsy yet resilient. It can endure anything life throws. Almost as if it's saying "I can handle anything. Bring it on."

:) I love this description. And the statue.

I remember the fuss when it was commissioned, with people saying the money should go to hospitals instead. The papers used to refer to it as the Tyneside Tart. But it is popular now. There is a real 'coming home' feel to it for people who live in Gateshead or further north.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Cheryl Fernandez-Versini think she the `Angel of the North`??
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the designer of it should have at least made the sculpture resemble an angel. It didn't have to look exactly like an angel, but just rough facial and body features. But, well.....we've got what we've got.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I love it, it's very imposing.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, it's very imposing.

Hardly. It's akin to Mt. Rushmore. Everyone raves about how good it is, but when you actually see it in the flesh, so to speak, it's pretty naff.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like it but am a fan of steampunk style anyway and it's in that vein.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's alright, I know I'm home when I've been away and I see that on the a1.

However as others said, it's not all that big unless you're really up close to it. A lot of locals have said it should have been bigger then it would have been a lot more imposing and impressive from more vantage points...
    Shrike wrote: »
    I really like it. My only problem is that the only place you seem to be able to get a good view of it is from the A1 itself - can any locals confirm or are there good vantage points that don't involve standing on the carriageway?

Surprisingly few, to be honest. The residents of the south end of Low Fell will see one side, and birtley residents probably get the best view as it's on top of a hill overlooking the town.

I could see it from my parents back garden, but the hill was behind it. The furthest you can see it clearly from is from the west end of Newcastle in the inner portion of the west end. You get good views from there but it is miles away so appears in the distance.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not religious and don't believe in angels so it doesn't exist.