Htc One - Wow! (merged)

slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This may annoy people who have just purchased a One X+ HTC look to be readying their next flagship phone to ship in the first quarter of 2013. So far under the name, M7, and here is the leaked spec sheet.

http://hexus.net/mobile/news/android/49501-the-htc-m7-new-468ppi-flagship-smartphone-launch-feb/

Thoughts?

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Specs look good. But that back is awful!!
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I'll wait until I can see the front of it! LOL

Specs look good though but will wait and see how it all hangs together.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that is the pic of the new one, I think thats a one X+ back. Spec wise looks good! May be a toss up between this and the new BB10 phone. Since I have a soft spot for BB since getting my playbook lol. Like you guys didn't know hehe.

But being a HTC phone owner for a good few years now, I'd be seriously tempted by the M7 or whatever it will be called when it's out. Oh and they aren't going to 5 inches. That's a plus as far as I am concerned. I currently have 4.3 inches on my Desire HD and that for me is the sweet spot. I can take 4.7 though but any bigger and it's getting silly.
  • RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    IMO they should have stuck with the One X+ till November 2013, its a great phone and they never give there 'flagship' devices long enough in the market.They should have released the HTC Butterfly as an alternative, that phone had such a buzz around it.

Also I'm suprised they have delisted the One S, it had rave reviews.. they delist a great phone like the One S and keep releasing rubbish like the Desire X and One SV. HTC phones all look exactly the same at the moment.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they launch it in Barcelona, it probably will not be in the shops for another 2 or 3 months after. The One X was launched in Barcelona last year, and wasn't actually available for a while. So I'm guessing we'll not see this in our hands until around April/May.

I also wish they'd reduce the number of new flagship phones. Last year the One X, One S and One V were meant to signal a new streamlined and more understandable range from HTC. Sadly, that fell apart very quickly with many other phones being added (Desire C, One XL, One X+, One SV) with no clear hierarchy.

It will be interesting to see what Samsung launch in Barcelona. Sadly, HTC has to be clearly better than Samsung to compete with its superior marketing budget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-m7-details-black-design-new-sense-ui-144875/

Bit more news on this handset. Not many new details, but mentions sense 5, which is supposed to have a neater cleaner design. Still a 4.7 inch screen, the look will be similar to the Droid DNA, but super LCD 3 screen rocking 468ppi which is a huge amount of pixels on a 4.7 inch screen.

First quarter launch and possibly unveiled next week at CES 2013.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    468ppi??? Holly moly that just about blows everything else into 2010 there are all so far behind. Imagine if you had just brought a one x or a nexus 4. That gonna suck as every other phone from now on will have at least 400ppi.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they launch it in Barcelona, it probably will not be in the shops for another 2 or 3 months after. The One X was launched in Barcelona last year, and wasn't actually available for a while. So I'm guessing we'll not see this in our hands until around April/May.

I also wish they'd reduce the number of new flagship phones. Last year the One X, One S and One V were meant to signal a new streamlined and more understandable range from HTC. Sadly, that fell apart very quickly with many other phones being added (Desire C, One XL, One X+, One SV) with no clear hierarchy.

It will be interesting to see what Samsung launch in Barcelona. Sadly, HTC has to be clearly better than Samsung to compete with its superior marketing budget.

Blame Samsung for that, the way they seem so desperate to control the market flooding it with 50 new handsets a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Blame Samsung for that, the way they seem so desperate to control the market flooding it with 50 new handsets a year.

Samsung phones have got no character, from the design to the Touch Wiz UI. Say what you want about HTC, but they push Innovation on their phones and software, They really do try to push tech to the limit and always have beautifully designed phones. They dont get the credit they deserve sometimes. Samsung steal all the glory when it comes to Android handsets, but HTC always push the boundaries and innovate.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Samsung phones have got no character, from the design to the Touch Wiz UI. Say what you want about HTC, but they push Innovation on their phones and software, They really do try to push tech to the limit and always have beautifully designed phones. They dont get the credit they deserve sometimes. Samsung steal all the glory when it comes to Android handsets, but HTC always push the boundaries and innovate.
    Thanks for that, I needed a laugh.

HTC produce the same A-B-C handsets that every cheap Chinese brand does nowadays - same SoCs, same display panels, same everything else as everyone else. There's nothing unique or innovative about their hardware at all.
    Compare that to Samsung, who produce their own SoCs, their own screens, their own memory, pretty much every component in their handsets from the ground up (with the exception of the Sony camera module used in the S3/Note2) and there is absolutely no comparison.

As for software, the amazing feature of the HTC One X, the one they pushed in the adverts: simultaneously taking photos whilst recording video - that's a stock ICS feature.
    Samsung on the other hand have brought a number of unique software features to the market. Smart Stay, where the phone's screen stays on while you're looking at it; Best Photo, which takes a burst of shots and recommends the best one; S-Beam, a method for transferring data between handsets that was so good Google copied it; all the clever S-Pen functionality on the Note devices like Air View, Photo Note, Quick Commands; Best Faces, where you take a burst shot of a group of people and can mix and match the faces for each person.

HTC haven't innovated since the original Desire, which is why they've been overtaken by Samsung and even Sony in the UK when it comes to Android handsets.

They have nothing up their sleeves and, seemingly, no clue as to why they're in the position they're in just now - their CEO tried to say their problems are down to poor marketing?!?
    Their problems are down to one thing and one thing only, the fact that they can't produce a flagship handset that can go toe-to-toe with Samsung's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I needed a laugh.

HTC produce the same A-B-C handsets that every cheap Chinese brand does nowadays - same SoCs, same display panels, same everything else as everyone else. There's nothing unique or innovative about their hardware at all.
    Compare that to Samsung, who produce their own SoCs, their own screens, their own memory, pretty much every component in their handsets from the ground up (with the exception of the Sony camera module used in the S3/Note2) and there is absolutely no comparison.

As for software, the amazing feature of the HTC One X, the one they pushed in the adverts: simultaneously taking photos whilst recording video - that's a stock ICS feature.
    Samsung on the other hand have brought a number of unique software features to the market. Smart Stay, where the phone's screen stays on while you're looking at it; Best Photo, which takes a burst of shots and recommends the best one; S-Beam, a method for transferring data between handsets that was so good Google copied it; all the clever S-Pen functionality on the Note devices like Air View, Photo Note, Quick Commands; Best Faces, where you take a burst shot of a group of people and can mix and match the faces for each person.

HTC haven't innovated since the original Desire, which is why they've been overtaken by Samsung and even Sony in the UK when it comes to Android handsets.

They have nothing up their sleeves and, seemingly, no clue as to why they're in the position they're in just now - their CEO tried to say their problems are down to poor marketing?!?
    Their problems are down to one thing and one thing only, the fact that they can't produce a flagship handset that can go toe-to-toe with Samsung's.

Those features you listed are NOT unique features. Just because they are now using the Apple way of naming features to make it look like they invented it. Come on, Smart Stay? There have been apps for keeping the screen on for ages, had that on my HTC Hero years ago. S Beam? That's NFC tech and it's NOT unique to Samsung. S pen? A pen that works on an LCD Screen? Been signing for my packages with this magic pen when the delivery guy holds up the LCD panel for me. Been doing that for years. Best faces? Are you seriously going to push little party piece tricks as a unique and game changing feature?

From your response here, it's clear that Samsung's marketing has worked very well on you. So the HTC guy was right, they dont know how to market their products compared to Samsung and Apple. As for Phone design, get outa here, the One X, and the latest J Butterfly/Droid DNA, is 100 times better looking than any Samsung phone currently available.
    Forum Member
    Those features you listed are NOT unique features. Just because they are now using the Apple way of naming features to make it look like they invented it.

They did!
    Come on, Smart Stay? There have been apps for keeping the screen on for ages, had that on my HTC Hero years ago.

I had the HTC hero for about 4 years and i can assure you, there was nothing on there that resembled smart stay. Smart stay uses the camera to see when your looking or not. No other phone does this. Unique. Yes.
    S Beam? That's NFC tech and it's NOT unique to Samsung.

Actually, yes it is/was. Samsung were the first to bring S Beam type things to phones followed shortly by Sony
    S pen? A pen that works on an LCD Screen? Been signing for my packages with this magic pen when the delivery guy holds up the LCD panel for me. Been doing that for years.

Completely different!!
    Best faces? Are you seriously going to push little party piece tricks as a unique and game changing feature?

Its actually quite clever stuff!

Also to add now, Smart rotation where it looks to see whcih way your looking at the screen and flips it over if needed. Also Multi window where you can have more than one app on screen.
    From your response here, it's clear that Samsung's marketing has worked very well on you. So the HTC guy was right, they dont know how to market their products compared to Samsung and Apple.

Its not about working well, it about what they have to offer and HTC have absolutely nothing. Same looking sense as the hero bar a minor change. same looking back to every phones with that camera jutting out all the time. Just awful.
    As for Phone design, get outa here, the One X, and the latest J Butterfly/Droid DNA, is 100 times better looking than any Samsung phone currently available.

In your opinion. For instance, i think every iphone looks awful and looks the same since day one. My opinion. Others will disagree.

Samsung clearly have nice looking phones since they sell more, hundreds times more than the competition. same looking back to every HTC phone with that camera jutting out all the time. Just awful with no new design at all.
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    468ppi??? Holly moly that just about blows everything else into 2010 there are all so far behind. Imagine if you had just brought a one x or a nexus 4. That gonna suck as every other phone from now on will have at least 400ppi.

BOUGHT!!!

Yeah i guess but it depends how the rest of the phone performs! Bit pointless having a sweet screen and the rest of it is pants!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on, Smart Stay? There have been apps for keeping the screen on for ages, had that on my HTC Hero years ago.
    Show me one of those apps.
    There are plenty of apps that mimic Smart Stay that were developed after the S3 was launched but I've never seen any that offered that functionality beforehand. So name one.
    S Beam? That's NFC tech and it's NOT unique to Samsung.
    No, that's not what S-Beam is. S-Beam uses an NFC handshake to create a wi-fi direct connection between devices.
    ICS had Android Beam which did something similar via bluetooth but after the S3 was launched, Google updated Android Beam to use wi-fi direct instead of bluetooth because it worked far better that way.
    S pen? A pen that works on an LCD Screen? Been signing for my packages with this magic pen when the delivery guy holds up the LCD panel for me. Been doing that for years.
    I'm not sure if you're deliberately over-simplifying things or if you're just not familiar with the S-Pen but you certainly haven't been using anything like it for years.

How many of those styluses you've used worked with capacitive screens? None, they were all resistive.
    How many could interact with the device without touching the screen? None.
    How many could measure over 1000 different levels of pressure? None.
    How many of them have buttons on for additional functionality? None.
    Best faces? Are you seriously going to push little party piece tricks as a unique and game changing feature?
    It doesn't matter what you think of a particular feature, it's still something Samsung have developed themselves, as opposed to the complete lack of innovation on HTC's part.

Also, here's another couple of software features Samsung have developed - multi-screen, the ability to run two apps side-by-side on an Android device; and there's also mini-apps, the little pop-up, free-floating windows that Samsung tablets have had all the way back to the Tab 8.9/10.1.
    These give Samsung devices like the S3, Note2, Note 10.1 and the tablet range unique multi-tasking capabilities. No other Android OEM offers anything like it.

As for Phone design, get outa here, the One X, and the latest J Butterfly/Droid DNA, is 100 times better looking than any Samsung phone currently available.
    Aesthetics ≠ hardware.
    You've gone from claiming that HTC produce unique hardware, an objectively untrue statement, to claiming HTC's handsets look nice which is simply a personal opinion.

edit: oh, Stiggles beat me to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    They did!

I had the HTC hero for about 4 years and i can assure you, there was nothing on there that resembled smart stay. Smart stay uses the camera to see when your looking or not. No other phone does this. Unique. Yes.

Actually, yes it is/was. Samsung were the first to bring S Beam type things to phones followed shortly by Sony

Completely different!!

Its actually quite clever stuff!

Also to add now, Smart rotation where it looks to see whcih way your looking at the screen and flips it over if needed. Also Multi window where you can have more than one app on screen.

Its not about working well, it about what they have to offer and HTC have absolutely nothing. Same looking sense as the hero bar a minor change. same looking back to every phones with that camera jutting out all the time. Just awful.

In your opinion. For instance, i think every iphone looks awful and looks the same since day one. My opinion. Others will disagree.

Samsung clearly have nice looking phones since they sell more, hundreds times more than the competition. same looking back to every HTC phone with that camera jutting out all the time. Just awful with no new design at all.

Ok I'll give you some of those points, but the pen thing is nothing new. people been using pens on PDAs for years and years, it's not a new concept. The camera, more so the video recording is not good on htc devices, even on the latest line, But we'll have to see how it is on this forthcoming model.

I'm just not really a fan of Samsung phones at all. But apart from the gimmicky stuff they are not miles better than other Android flagship phones.
  • biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Specs look good. But that back is awful!!

The picture is of the back of a One X
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    If it has a removable battery and accepts a microSD card, this might appeal to me.
    Forum Member
    biggyt wrote: »
    The picture is of the back of a One X

Haha! So it is! :D

Sorry about that :D:o
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HTC blame bad advertising for the mess they're in? How about releasing 1 flagship model and sticking with it?

Samsung have the Galaxy S3 and they do well with it. Within the Galaxy range there are many phones, but only the S3 is advertised all the time. With HTC, they seem to release new phones every week and give them all the same names.

I had the HTC One X and it was a nice phone but it was marred by screen issues, bad build quality and an awful battery. They rushed the phone just so they could boast about it, except it back fired majorly. I'd much rather they took their time, listened to the public and designed an amazing phone - rather than a half baked product.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    If it has a removable battery and accepts a microSD card, this might appeal to me.

Don't think you will get either judging by reports. Although the Japanese phone which this model is closest too, had an SD Card slop but for the American release, they dropped the card close, strange.

So there could be a slight possibility there is a Card slot but as for removable battery, I dont think that is ever coming back,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    Don't think you will get either judging by reports. Although the Japanese phone which this model is closest too, had an SD Card slop but for the American release, they dropped the card close, strange.

So there could be a slight possibility there is a Card slot but as for removable battery, I dont think that is ever coming back,
    And that sums up HTC's problems. They're leaving out the features customers want.

That's not a marketing problem, that's a lack of understanding of their customers.
    Increasingly it seems as though it'll take a change of management for them to realise what the issue is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think lack of removable battery is an issue but not so much the SD card thing. People still buying nexus devices at 16gb no sd slot and people buying iPhones with no slot for years. Lack of sd is not that big a deal. With many cloud storage solutions and Google offer drive and google music you don't need to fill the phone up with lots of media. Can stream stuff over network now with faster 3g speeds and 4g. The one x+ came with 64gb on onboard and cheaper than an iphone with that amount of storage. 32gb will even be enough for most people. That's more than what google offered with the Nexus 8gb and 16gb.

I don't think it's too much of an issue. Lack of removable battery for me is a bad one though, but this phone will have a 2300mah battery so should provide more juice and the snapdragon s4 is pretty good at battery conservation. So both the issues of sd card and battery could be resolved somewhat with bigger onboard storage and bigger battery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTC M7

http://www.t3.com/news/htc-m7-image-leaked-online

Does that look like a cross between an iphone 5 and a BB Z10??

Blackberry Z10

http://bgr.com/2012/12/20/blackberry-z10-rim-bb10-smartphone-261527/
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to make you aware, the S-Pen isn't really a new innovative feature - they've sold capacitive touchscreen styli in the pound shop for a while!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Just to make you aware, the S-Pen isn't really a new innovative feature - they've sold capacitive touchscreen styli in the pound shop for a while!

Yes it is, the pen has buttons to do things the £1 stylus cannot do, the software on the note 2 is tailored to work with the pen in ways a normal stylus cannot.

So even though styluses? Styli? Stylus's? have been around for ages the SPen is something new and innovative because of the features and integration with the OS.