Chromecast - will you get it?

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    My PS3 do eveything I want, so I will not be buying a Chromecast

A different thing, and it uses 30 to 80 times the wattage depending on how old it is.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    A different thing, and it uses 30 to 80 times the wattage depending on how old it is.

What is different? I can stream netflix and other catch up services, I can stream from any DLNA device using my Ps3.

This is what the Chromecast can do is it not?

I can also store music on my PS3, play games, the few I do play and watch DVd and blue-rays.

So the Ps3 does everything I want. As for wattage, I doubt i would notice much of a drop in my power bills if I did not use the Ps3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    What is different? ....As for wattage, I doubt i would notice much of a drop in my power bills if I did not use the Ps3.
    As a games machine it does far more.

And no, the drop in bills would not be massive. Even a
    heavy user on 6 hours a day would only be paying £35 extra a year for a new PS3, maybe double that for the old one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    buglawton wrote: »
    I don't yet fully understand the situation, hope my post made that clear and that is what my question was about.

Your answer begins to confirm what I feared - ip traffic from router to iphone, the back to router, then to ATV. Is that not a tripling of data traffic on the home WiFi network? And presumably, as soon as you stop streaming on the iPhone, the ATV streaming stops too?

The idea, if true, of so much WiiF traffic (and battery drain on the iPhone) makes me wince, and makes the ATV a no-no for me. Should be so trivial to fix too, considered Apples''s billions stashed away that could be used for product enhancements.

Maybe, if my 'take' as you put is turns out to be correct, then Chromecast will put the appropriate rocket up Apple's backside to make them improve ATV to compete on this performance/data miserliness aspect.
    Well, no, there's nothing wrong with AirPlay for them to fix. The Battery use is fine. You're imagining a problem where there is none. Unless your Wi-Fi network is massively congested (and we're talking dozens of devices hitting it at once) then you're never going to notice any impact from AirPlay being in use.

Chromecast, incidentally, sends and receives data over local network and IP from both the host device and the Chromecast Dongle every time you do anything. That isn't a problem either, although it does mean there are more digital handshakes that can fail and cause problems.

AirPlay works, and it works well. If you'd prefer Chromecast, fine, but don't be under the mis-aprehension that it is objectively superior to AirPlay. It's not. I'd also point out that the two services Chromecast supports on iOS (YouTube and Netflix) are available natively on the AppleTV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVPaulD wrote: »
    but don't be under the mis-aprehension that it is objectively superior to AirPlay.
    All 3 are fine for what they are.

Both Chromecast and ATV are very limited so have room to grow. The similar £10 NowTV, whilst able to run XBMC like Plex looks permanently stunted.
  • Options
    buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might consider a used ATV to play with, then. Can always re-sell it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    i was , but then reading it does not have a remoate, unlike the excellant nowtv box£9.99
    that means it will only operate via a smart phone .. ipad/ipod.
    I do have a ATV and thankfully arrives with a remoate..
    and as im not rich!! ,, i wont bother.with the chrome one
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was , but then reading it does not have a remoate, unlike the excellant nowtv box£9.99
    that means it will only operate via a smart phone .. ipad/ipod.
    I do have a ATV and thankfully arrives with a remoate..
    and as im not rich!! ,, i wont bother.with the chrome one

Most people already have a smart phone or tablet though so no need to go and buy one.

In fact all my friends and family (with exception of my gran) have either a iOS or Android phone.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Either they only made like 5 of them, or it's very popular. My delivery date has been pushed back to late October.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Either they only made like 5 of them, or it's very popular. My delivery date has been pushed back to late October.

Little of both. Google is notoriously bad at anticipating hardware demand, but it has been incredibly well received.
  • Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My delivery date has been pushed back to late October.

Where have you ordered from :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I'm certainly going to get one, even if it is just to enable one more TV in the house to receive Netflix.

As some other poster commented, yes my PS3 lets me do everything I want on a telly, but they are not £35, and don't require a mere USB port to power it.

Talking of power, the TV I've an eye on using the Chromecast with, doesn't have a USB port (it's an old Sony), but it does have a CI/CAM slot. I'm wondering if I can knock something up that will let me draw 5V from that? Rather than have another power adapter to plug in. I've already looked at the 5V from the SCART socket, but that's not got enough current apparently.

I could see a raring trade on eBay for a device that will give you a USB power socket from an unused CI/CAM slot.

Spiral
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Restorer wrote: »
    Where have you ordered from :confused:

Amazon.com They just sent another email though that says this:

"Thank you for your recent Chromecast purchase. Earlier today, you received an email indicating an incorrect estimated order delivery of late October. We are actively fulfilling orders weekly based on customer order date and all customers who placed orders prior to August 7 should receive their orders in the coming weeks and into mid-September. We will notify you as soon as your item ships and apologize for the confusion."
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm tempted by it. It sounds like a great idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon.com They just sent another email though that says this:

"Thank you for your recent Chromecast purchase. Earlier today, you received an email indicating an incorrect estimated order delivery of late October. We are actively fulfilling orders weekly based on customer order date and all customers who placed orders prior to August 7 should receive their orders in the coming weeks and into mid-September. We will notify you as soon as your item ships and apologize for the confusion."

Oh, just noticed you are in the US. I'm tempted to get one delivered to friends there and have them send it on. I bet it's going to be many months before it makes it over here,

EDIT: Amazon.com still taking orders so I nabbed one. The suggestion is that it won't be too long before they are back in stock.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an impulse buy its perfect. More for those that don't already have their tv connected to the internet, but even for those of us that do, it seems like a fun toy to play with. And ideal for my parents house with their unconnected tv...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    As an impulse buy its perfect. More for those that don't already have their tv connected to the internet, but even for those of us that do, ...

Yes, indeed. It will be much easier to be watching and organising Youtube videos etc via my tablet and Chromecast than forever messing on via my clunky 2011 "smart but slow" Sony.

And who knows what delights Google might have waiting for us down the road. The trouble with connected TV's (especially the Sonys) is the software is so limited and limiting that models scarcely 2 years old just don't get the recent apps.

And best of all this little gadget weighs in at under £25 :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incase anyone is interested, Amazon.com are now shipping to the UK http://www.amazon.com/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00DR0PDNE for a total cost of £34.06
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Incase anyone is interested, Amazon.com are now shipping to the UK http://www.amazon.com/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00DR0PDNE for a total cost of £34.06

plus any import duty that might be added.

also need to bear in mind that the chromecast app is still US only, so that would need to be sourced and then side loaded on to your device.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    plus any import duty that might be added.

also need to bear in mind that the chromecast app is still US only, so that would need to be sourced and then side loaded on to your device.

£34.06 is including import duty and shipping, the full breakdown is:

Item: £22.59
    Shipping & handling: £5.79
    Import Fees Deposit: £5.68
    Total: £34.06

Yeah if you want to install the Android app you will need to sideload on to the device as you have always had to in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had mine a month or so now - had a friend send one over without attracting customs ;).

Setup is a piece of cake with apk widely available for sideloading from XDA etc.

I realised after ordering I had misunderstood browser casting as meaning including tablets - in fact so far it is only possible from laptops and not Android :( - so far at least.

So only supplied apps will work from my tablet: YouTube, Netflix, and Google's Music and Movies. Disappointingly they have still not released the code so until that happens and mobile Chrome gets a cast button things will be quite limited.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apparently, they've not yet released the API to developers. Not sure what's taking them so long..
    http://readwrite.com/2013/10/08/chromecast-apps-google-holdup#awesm=~ojH0XBdhnCgt6u

(I still want one)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    apparently, they've not yet released the API to developers. Not sure what's taking them so long..
    http://readwrite.com/2013/10/08/chromecast-apps-google-holdup#awesm=~ojH0XBdhnCgt6u

(I still want one)

What looks to be keeping them so long is the paranoia of these damned copyright lawyers who seem to have been able for some reason to put the wind up Google :mad:. The blocking of streaming local content via Android devices was a despicable act by a company who prides itself on serving the open-source community - especially when it is allowed on so many other devices.

Good job it only cost $35 so we can continue to wait while no doubt talented developers like koush will go on chipping away at the barriers :).
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ps3 for streaming is woeful and it only plays certain file types, i tried various applications and still had no luck probably down to the lack of ram too, another problem for me with the ps3 was the fan noise you try watching a programme with that and its just impossible, thats why i invested in wdtv and its been great. The only down side is that netflix loads as slow as anything and various other apps so i will probably get the chromecast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    The Ps3 for streaming is woeful and it only plays certain file types, i tried various applications and still had no luck probably down to the lack of ram too, another problem for me with the ps3 was the fan noise you try watching a programme with that and its just impossible, thats why i invested in wdtv and its been great. The only down side is that netflix loads as slow as anything and various other apps so i will probably get the chromecast.

Yeah I have been using the ATV2 for a few years now and it's a fantastic device, plays everything I throw at it.