Options

Who did you play for and what position?

dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
Forum Member
✭✭
I know a lot of people on here are fans, but did anyone actually play football for a team? Sunday league, pub team or may someone a bit better?

I'll start...

I first played for a team in year six at primary school where I played at left back. We won our league, the local cup, the five-a-side tournament and the equivolent of the champions league (all the other league winners from Leeds districts in a knockout tournament).

I then played for high school for a few years on the left wing. We won nothing. We were awful.

I played for a sunday league team for a year or two also, again playing left or right back. We constantly battled relegation.

I wish playing as a kid, I knew what I know now about football. Positioning, movement...etc. I'd have been so much better. I really was quite poor. I couldn't hit a ball properly until I started playing 5-a-side aged about 21.

How about everyone else?

Comments

• Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    played striker for a sunday league team years ago, not for long, 6 goals in 14 games,not toooooo bad lol

now i play 5 a side 2-3 times a week
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Used to play in the Mid Lincs County Youth League from the age of 8 to about 14 years old.

Got scouted by Grimsby Town and Aston Villa, offered trials with Villa but unfortunately injury prevented me from going any further for the time being, but over time during the healing process as well as getting back into the game, I just lost the spark of wanting to play every day and lost interest.

Ahh well
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Used to play in the Mid Lincs County Youth League from the age of 8 to about 14 years old.

Got scouted by Grimsby Town and Aston Villa, offered trials with Villa but unfortunately injury prevented me from going any further for the time being, but over time during the healing process as well as getting back into the game, I just lost the spark of wanting to play every day and lost interest.

Ahh well

what school were you at? We all went to Forest's academy from Lincoln and those who got picked up went to Sheffield Utd.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a kid, I played for the school team and a couple of local village sides. I generally played as a striker for the school team, and as a right-winger or central midfielder for the village teams.

Whilst playing for one of the village sides, we played a 'friendly' against Bristol Rovers youth team. I came on as a sub, scored an own-goal (a bullet header from a corner), and got substituted. I've had better games. We lost 10-0.

As an adult, I played a fair bit of 5-a-side, but ended up losing interest, due to the aggro. Everyone took it far too seriously. It's meant to be an after-work kickabout, not the Champions League final, FFS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »
    what school were you at? We all went to Forest's academy from Lincoln and those who got picked up went to Sheffield Utd.

I didn't go to a school in Lincoln pal, lived about 30 miles from Lincoln back then mate.

The Mid Lincs County League team i was playing for though was Swifts JFC, don't know if you've herd of them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As a kid, I played for the school team and a couple of local village sides. I generally played as a striker for the school team, and as a right-winger or central midfielder for the village teams.

Whilst playing for one of the village sides, we played a 'friendly' against Bristol Rovers youth team. I came on as a sub, scored an own-goal (a bullet header from a corner), and got substituted. I've had better games. We lost 10-0.

As an adult, I played a fair bit of 5-a-side, but ended up losing interest, due to the aggro. Everyone took it far too seriously. It's meant to be an after-work kickabout, not the Champions League final, FFS.

I know that feeling, one of the reasons I stopped plaing in the adult leagues, having a team mate going purple in the face screaming and swearing at you for not passing them the ball......no thanks, it was either brake a few noses, or leave with dignity, so I did both :D
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All school teams from 11-18 (Captain)

Liverpool University 1st team 75 - 77 (Captain in 76/7)

Winchmore Hill 1st team 77 - 82 (Southern Amateur League)

Burgess Hill Town (Sussex County League - Reserves - 82-84 - won league and league cup)

Various Sunday sides

Always midfield.

Tried and failed to mark Sammy Lee on one occasion;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/football/football-editorial/chasing-sammy-playing-football-for-liverpool-university-back-in-the-1970s/
  • Options
    dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to enjoy playing 5-a-side and had a laugh with it, even though we were in competitive leagues. I always wanted to win, of course, but the seriousness of some of the other teams and what they'd do to win was just a joke. I'm quite a small guy in terms of frame, so obviously an easy target for some of the bruisers to throw their weight about a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to enjoy playing 5-a-side and had a laugh with it, even though we were in competitive leagues. I always wanted to win, of course, but the seriousness of some of the other teams and what they'd do to win was just a joke. I'm quite a small guy in terms of frame, so obviously an easy target for some of the bruisers to throw their weight about a bit.

The last game that I played, before my 'retirement' was like that.

One of the lads on our side was fairly short, but reasonably skilful. Despite having done absolutely nothing, in the way of provocation, one of the opposition's fatter gits decided to just kick him up in the air, as hard as he could. Without exaggerating, he could easily have broken his leg(s). As there was no ref, there were no consequences, other than the rest of us giving this tubby arsehole a mouthful of abuse.

At that point, I just thought, 'what's the point?', and I haven't played since.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i play 5 a side with friends, its very competitive but happens on the pitch stays on the pitch, also slide tackles and fouls are calmped down on, has to be a level of respect and you get that for most part with friends.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    School football Sacred Heart, Crosby 88-92,
    Various university sides 93-97.

My final season I switched to centre forward and got 23 in 18 games, my running style earning me the nickname Steve Claridge. :D

Just six a side since. I am not one for wasting weekend mornings on football.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last game that I played, before my 'retirement' was like that.

One of the lads on our side was fairly short, but reasonably skilful. Despite having done absolutely nothing, in the way of provocation, one of the opposition's fatter gits decided to just kick him up in the air, as hard as he could. Without exaggerating, he could easily have broken his leg(s). As there was no ref, there were no consequences, other than the rest of us giving this tubby arsehole a mouthful of abuse.

At that point, I just thought, 'what's the point?', and I haven't played since.

Similar to me that, 11 a side included.

We have a group of 18-20 lads who can make up a good six a side every week. Funnily enough, we play at my old school above. :D
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I played for a local side in Enfield as a kid, on and off as a goalkeeper. I basically played if my parents could afford the bus fare, which meant I only played about 4 games in a season :(.

My brother knew a lot of Spurs people and I went for a training session with Junior Spurs, not because of ability, but because he knew everyone. I let in 9 goals and was at fault for at least 8 of them:o.

They told me I'd never make it as a professional footballer. They were right :cry:.

After that I switched to left-back once I discovered my love of football. Everyone thought I was weird because I was right footed and always tried to put me as a right back.

I never made it into the school team because they'd never put me on the left, but I got my own back in sports day when my form team spanked the school team 6-0, I played in my preferred position and got a hat trick.

After school I went to play for some shitty team in the Saturday leagues in the lowest level, the team regularly got spanked 21-0, and I was strangely their best player, until I did my medial and cruciate ligaments.

These days I stick to a kick around with my two year old nephew. I'm scared of playing again because of the injuries and how they happened.

I was always average at everything so played pretty much every sport and did make the school teams for most of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    i played for my school team and boys sunday league as a left winger

Not the most skillfull but in my teens I was lightening fast (i set the school record for 100m at 16, running in at 11.94 secs,which i think still stands :) )

My pace got me noticed by my local professional side (they tend to yo-yo between the bottom two leagues in Scottish football)

After 3 impressive (if i do say so myself) trial I signed an S form contract to join their youth team

there it went all wrong

i missed pre-season after breaking four toes in a kick about with my mates
    missed the first half of the season by trying to still play football with my broken toes and requiring my toes to be re-broken to try re-align my toes into at least a semi straight fashion (it didnt work - my toes on my right foot are a mess)

third game back from injury (jan time) on a muddy pitch I went up for a header and when i landed to turn and run the bottom half of my left decided to stay still while the rest of body turned

Ruptured the ligaments in my knee and ankle - career over

I still play fives at the age of 32 but my pace has gone and when i run i still get pains from my ankle and knee
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i played for my school team and boys sunday league as a left winger

Not the most skillfull but in my teens I was lightening fast (i set the school record for 100m at 16, running in at 11.94 secs,which i think still stands :) )

My pace got me noticed by my local professional side (they tend to yo-yo between the bottom two leagues in Scottish football)

After 3 impressive (if i do say so myself) trial I signed an S form contract to join their youth team

there it went all wrong

i missed pre-season after breaking four toes in a kick about with my mates
    missed the first half of the season by trying to still play football with my broken toes and requiring my toes to be re-broken to try re-align my toes into at least a semi straight fashion (it didnt work - my toes on my right foot are a mess)

third game back from injury (jan time) on a muddy pitch I went up for a header and when i landed to turn and run the bottom half of my left decided to stay still while the rest of body turned

Ruptured the ligaments in my knee and ankle - career over

I still play fives at the age of 32 but my pace has gone and when i run i still get pains from my ankle and knee

OUCH:eek:
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a goalkeeper growing up (and still play there occassionaly), and moddled my style on the great Dane himself, so I that required me shouting at my defenders a heck of a lot per game! :D
    I remember one game in particular, as I went into a diving challenge to try and save a shot, and I got caught, and I went out cold, the next time I woke up, I was in hospital, having recieved a load of stiches on my shin.
    Ahh, the joys of being a goalkeeper!

I played for my school team, but that was about it, I was roatated with someone who would go onto play at an okay level (with Northwich Victoria, and had trails with Liverpool so the competition was at a high level).

From there, I think there saying "those that can do, those that cannot write about it" sums my times after that up nicely, as I spent more and more time writing about football then playing it.

I plyed five a side indoors at college, and at Uni, but nothing serious though (yes still in net), and it was just good to let of some steam, and have a few laughs with my freinds.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    School

Breaktime

Usually played in the coveted position of "going to get the ball when it went over the fence"
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told by my witch of a games mistress that I was not allowed to play football and all girls had to play netball at school, no good to shorties like me, when nobody would pick me for their team as I was a shortarse.

Luckily for me, my form tutor was head of the Sports Department, and he liked me, so I went to him and asked if I could join in with the boys, he was such a nice man he said yes.

Witches face was a picture when she found out I was allowed to play football.

I also played for a South London Sunday Girls Team for 3 years.

Played in midfield and scored a grand total of 7 goals.

Retired after getting fed up being kicked all over the place by rough tough girls twice my size.

My dad ran the line one Sunday when there was no one to officiate, got me booked he did, I didn't speak to him for 2 days after that :D
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retired after getting fed up being kicked all over the place by rough tough girls twice my size.
    :eek::eek:
    I tip my hat to you Joey, it must have been really hard being 5" 3 & 15 st :p:D
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey you cheekey :eek::p:D

Try 4ft10 :p
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I remember one game in particular, as I went into a diving challenge to try and save a shot, and I got caught, and I went out cold, the next time I woke up, I was in hospital, having recieved a load of stiches on my shin.
    Ahh, the joys of being a goalkeeper!

Only you could get knocked out by being caught in the shin.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone from my school team was so good he got a scholership to go and play in America, unfortunately I lost contact with him after that, so I don't know what happened next to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Only you could get knocked out by being caught in the shin.

That did make me chuckle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was the one that was always left at the end of choosing their teams. I was RUBBISH!!! I found my vocation at rugby :-)