Sherlock - New BBC Drama (Part 2)

Comments

• guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Reading the criticism has just encouraged me to think of all the things I did like about the episode, and there's even more than I thought. The biggest issue was the drastic change in tone, but I think if I were to watch it again knowing exactly what to expect then I would enjoy it a lot more. Out of the three middle episodes we've had, which is were the writer(s) experiment a bit and fail (the 2nd episodes are always the worst), I already like this one the most despite its problems.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hetty_rose wrote: »
    Ok, but just in case there is some misunderstanding I was not looking for you to give me the clue, just point me to where I could potentially find it myself since I have no idea which sources to look at..but ok, I give up!!!
    I know. I just meant that if I point you to a specific article, it rather gives the game away. As I said before, apologies for being obtuse!
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Ha, clever. Anything less than 9.2 million and you can make a smug post about how you predicted it. ;-)

When of course it will probably drop slightly. Premiers always tend to get higher and because of the mystery cliffhanger it will have pulled in more people. It will of course trounce most other shows despite any drop but they will ignore that and claim its a sign of decline. Like people have with Doctor Who but then oh no! Most viewed show of the year! 11 million plus for the Xmas special. People are really voting with their feet it would seem.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it quite jarring that they keep telling us that Sherlock is an outcast loner who rubs people up the wrong way, yet seemingly everyone adores him.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies. Your deduction has ... merit. ;-)

Say no more, slouchingthatch. *wink wink*

I also thought that Mary was quite slinky in one or two scenes tonight.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arunan22 wrote: »
    Seems like I'm the only one who loved that episode? Thought it was clever, funny and emotional and tied them all in well. The whole 'here is a mystery - how does Sherlock solve it' would get very old very quickly if repeated week in week out - a bit of change is good.

It'd get boring if there were 6+ episodes a year. Instead there are 3 every 2 years.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It originally had a more particular meaning (the use of a gimmick to revive interest in a flagging show) but it's gone into common usage as an indication of a decline in quality.

To be more specific, it's lost its edge.
    Jumping the shark has jumped the shark.
  • EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad it wasn't just me!

It just popped right into my head when he was saying 'no' 'no' 'no' and they were sitting down - like when you flick the pictures down. And then at the end didn't he flick the laptop lids down as well? I might have imagined that (tired).
  • hetty_rosehetty_rose Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I know. I just meant that if I point you to a specific article, it rather gives the game away. As I said before, apologies for being obtuse!

No worries, you are only doing your job! Google may or may not prove to be my friend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My episode review:
    http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2014/01/05/sherlock-s3-ep2-the-sign-of-three/

This really wasn't my favourite story as it took too long to get going, but I loved Sherlock's best man speech, and as I've said (repeatedly, sorry), there are some clues for the sharp-eyed buried in there to provide pointers for next week's finale.

So Moffat wrote The Doctor Dances for Who, and wrote part of this episode, which we should probably call The Detective Dances. (I'm joking. A bit.)

As I did last week, I'll post my 10 top references to The Sign of Four and other Holmes stories tomorrow (hopefully morning). I'm sure you'll all have spotted many more than I did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    Emma L wrote: »
    In the books Watson got married and stayed married - I think she brings a great dynamic to the show.

if she stays far, far, far in the background thats ok with me lol (sorry) if she doesnt, shes going to ruin the dynamic been featured so heavily imo
  • glorafinglorafin Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    He didn't stab him with the belt, he stabbed him through the belt. Just as he did with the guardsman in the street whilst taking a selfie. The issue with the belt was that the tight belt kept the wound closed which meant that didn't bleed out until they took the belt off, which could be hours later.

I understand the not bleeding part, but I must say the "not feeling any pain" part leaves me quite sceptical.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like I'm the only one who loved that episode? Thought it was clever, funny and emotional and tied them all in well. The whole 'here is a mystery - how does Sherlock solve it' would get very old very quickly if repeated week in week out - a bit of change is good.

Have to challenge that by pointing out that Sherlock Holmes is the most filmed fictional character ever..most of those being based on the Conan Doyle stories.

I do worry that the series is getting by on the bromance aspect and appealing more to the Twilight crowd than the original.

It has its audience and lots like it but I hardly think it's terribly clever stuff and stylistically, give it a few years, it will start to look very aged.

But I could watch a Rathbone Holmes till the cows came home.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

k9fan wrote: »
    I am pleased that it is described as being "based on" the stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle :)

I did actually enjoy this evening's episode, and had a chuckle now and then. I am greatly relieved that I did gain enjoyment from watching it because the episode the other day confused and yet also bored me so that I switched it off after half an hour.

No, I did actually enjoy it.:)
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Jumping the shark has jumped the shark.

In fact it nuked the fridge :)
  • EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it quite jarring that they keep telling us that Sherlock is an outcast loner who rubs people up the wrong way, yet seemingly everyone adores him.

Not everyone - people outside of his little circle don't like him (Anderson originally, Donovan, the guy he knew from university in the Blind Banker etc). His inner circle understand him - they've gone from putting up with him because they respect his skills to getting to know him and knowing that's just who he is and they've been able to see his finer qualities because they've hung on in there and spent time with him.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    In fact it nuked the fridge :)

See that always baffled me! Surely it should have been 'CGI'ed the Gopher'? Much worse. I liked the whole fridge scene!
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the baby isn't John's! :eek:

That 'Liar' part has to be meaningful.

*puts away wooden spoon* :blush:
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Agreed. I do post during episodes occasionally, but only because I have already seen them (I'm a TV reviewer, so I have access to previews).

2. It does seem a bit odd, but Mary is a part of the Holmes canon and we have seen hints already - such as the 'liar' in Sherlock's word cloud for her - that there is more to her than meets the eye.

For somebody who has seen all three episodes and has shown restraint up to now - you are bordering on giving spoilers. Please refrain.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    It'll be interesting if Dr Who is involved in any mystery scenario, there'll be a vein-popping extravaganza on here about how Moffat has created a Sherlock in a blue box!

Sherlock in a blue box!
    The Doctor in a deerstalker hat!

Waaaaaah! Boooooo! <soils self in fury> Baaaaa! Grrrr!
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, or at least hope, that the BBC would be more concerned with the viewing figures. But popularity isn't everything you say? Ok then. How about all the good reviews. From actual TV reviewers? So popular and critically acclaimed! Nah. They will ignore that. Because the same five people on Digital Spy keep slagging him off. The people that matter at the BBC won't even know this forum exists let alone read it.

Who's being delusional and making things up now?
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snork wrote: »
    Apologies if it has already been said but I think the bank robbers were at the reception. Fat bald headed guy and wild haired blonde man. May explain how they get one up on the police? Possibly there on Mary's side?

I was left confused by the bank robberies. Was it just to set up the joke about it being an emergency so that LeStrade had to rush round to Baker Street, when he was finally going to catch them, and someone else DID arrest them, or are they still free. I don't think it was made clear.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes he's far too emotional for me.

There's always a need to make the different ordinary. They did it with Spock, making him more human when the point was that people were attracted to the fact he wasn't.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See that always baffled me! Surely it should have been 'CGI'ed the Gopher'? Much worse. I liked the whole fridge scene!
    It "Swung with the monkeys"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For somebody who has seen all three episodes and has shown restraint up to now - you are bordering on giving spoilers. Please refrain.
    Not intended, obviously. I was merely referencing a post a few higher up in the thread which referenced the word cloud. It's been the subject of article on radiotimes.com and other outlets too. But I'll keep quiet!
This discussion has been closed.