Options

Sherlock - New BBC Drama (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delusional that only five people on DS dislike Moffat's work. Delusional that DW narrative from 2010 stands up to any basic scrutiny of its sense and logic. Delusional that "professional" TV reviewers are more clued up than the general audience. Delusional that DW was the top rated show of last year. Delusional that high ratings equals a quality programme (you must think "Mrs Brown's Boys" is the best thing on TV).

I've become very cynical on profession reviewers, unfortunately nowadays it seems very easy to get them on your side unless it's a real stinker. And some reviewers write like real fan boys.

Superman Returns was for me an absolute stinker but got rave reviews all over but does anybody really remember it with any affection.
  • Options
    abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice, and vastly more entertaining and well-written than the episode itself.

:cool:

Thanks Kapellmeister :)
    I feel a bit better now...:blush:
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it at all possible that everything we have seen so far is not real? That it is all in John's head (after all he was seeing a therapist as he was finding it hard to cope after Sherlock's death) Every character seems to have changed in some way. Molly has moved on. Sherlock is more personable, John has moved on, even Mycroft seems friendlier. May explain references to ghosts and relationships with them. Most likely rubbish though!!

I thought that at the end of the last episode when John and Sherlock were about to go out to face the media - when John says that he asked Sherlock not to be dead and Sherlock says 'I heard you' (or whatever it is he actually says). I felt like it was Sherlock saying 'I heard you anbd so here I am' - like John has made him come back because it's all in his head or because John wished it so.

But like others have said - it's going to get another series at least and that just won't work out.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it isn't the truth is it? Many people have criticised the show, to say that it has not been criticised is an untruth. A few hacks writing for newspapers is not a cross section of the viewing audience.

I would say a cross section of impartial critics paid to do that very job and from broadsheets and tabloids and websites and fanzines and glossy magazines is a bit more representative than a few forum people. Yes I would. I suppose you know better though.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally I can't agree with any of those comments.
  • Options
    rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    The first few reviews for tonight's episode that I could see online seem to be less glowing. Still generally positive but many mention the change in tone and/or the meandering structure.

e.g,In The Metro
    But the story is unlikely to top many fans’ favourite episode lists. For me, it took too long to pull the threads together, rendering the narrative shapeless until the closing 20 minutes. Fans upset by a perceived increase in ‘soapy’ and humorous elements at the expense of plot in the opener will have more ammunition here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and I could quote double that amount from my own timeline alone who loved the episode.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry, but - "Moffat ruined Sherlock along with my hopes and dreams"? Would anyone in their right mind take any notice of someone who wrote that?

It's a bit scary, actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rammie96 wrote: »
    The first few reviews for tonight's episode that I could see online seem to be less glowing. Still generally positive but many mention the change in tone and/or the meandering structure.

e.g,In The Metro

And some people have very short memories. I remember very unfavorable notices for The Blind Banker way back in S1. Did that mean the show was in crisis? Nope.

I remember The Guardian posting an article in S2 of Doctor Who suggesting the show might be trouble. Years later? International cinema screenings and the most watched show of the year.

So much noise on social media. People so quick to rubbish things. Thankfully the BBC are smarter than your average Twitter loudmouth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and I could quote double that amount from my own timeline alone who loved the episode.

Telling that you said "from my own timeline"

They're from a simple search of the Sherlock hashtag. If your friends are all of the same mind as you, then maybe you need to get out of your own echo chamber?
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    How did Bainbridge manage to take all his clothes off, enter a shower, put shampoo in his hair and then .. collapse on the floor? Wouldn't removing the belt have released the skewer thing and caused major pain/collapsing?

I wondered that too. I think we were supposed to be so caught up in the reveal that we wouldn't have time to think about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telling that you said "from my own timeline"

They're from a simple search of the Sherlock hashtag. If your friends are all of the same mind as you, then maybe you need to get out of your own echo chamber?

They aren't. Some didn't like it. Some liked it alot more than I did.

You didn't even watch it! And yet here you are two hours later on a discussion thread about a TV show you didn't see. Sorry. Not taking you seriously.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

e.g,In The Metro

I'm not sure how the critics can be remotely negative about this episode when the last one, which they raved over, had all of the same faults.

Unfortunately I suspect that TV critics suffer slightly from Emperor's New Clothes syndrome as far as 'Sherlock' is concerned. It's the 'in' show at the moment and none of them want to be the first to come put and say 'good lord, that was utter s***e'.
  • Options
    firstslipfirstslip Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's remember that the British are only vocal (all five of them in this instance) when they have something they want to moan about. The vast majority (ie everyone else minus five and a few on here) are pretty happy and will therefore say nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but - "Moffat ruined Sherlock along with my hopes and dreams"? Would anyone in their right mind take any notice of someone who wrote that?

It's perfectly reasonable, like "George Lucas raped my childhood"

It's a TV show for God's sake...people on both sides need to chill.

And there's a middle ground that says that this is a middlingly entertaining show for the masses with some good stuff and some not so good.

Personally I'd give this episode 4/10 more because it was tedious than for any other reason.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extremely self indulgent and barely enjoyable pap. I'm not sure conflating Dr Who and Sherlock does either soap any good in the long run.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. I don't care about viewing figures. If I had my choice I would make Doctor Who alot more cult and less populist than it is. If I thought it would last. But I know it wouldn't. My point was that the Moffat haters are grasping at straws. The BBC do care about viewing figures, DVD sales, international popularity and critical acclaim. And whether you like it or not both Moffats shows get all those things. They don't care about forums like DS where even on the DW threads there are a core number of posters who don't even make triple figures. Just because those that hate Moffat are noisy and even start Twitter accounts dedicated to slating him the people in charge don't care.

Those that hate Moffat are no more noisy than those who love him. They are not clutching at straws, they are just looking forward to the day, which will come sooner or later, hopefully sooner, when he no longer pollutes their favourite TV programmes.
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    queenie wrote: »
    How disappointing. Series 1 & 2 were so good. We've waited two years for this - and we get self-indulgent nonsense.

Sadly, I have to agree.

I tried getting 2 people into it back on New Years day, who hadn't seen the first two series, only to be cringing for most of it. It just seemed like 'twaddle'. Both of them gave a distinct "hmm, don't know what to make of that".

After 2 years of some really great shows that aren't Sherlock, it's come back as some schoolboy nonsense with only a few flashes of it's old brilliance.

I really want to like it.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. I haven't even really liked the lat couple of episodes much, but goodness all this "PDQ" stuff being posted by someone who apparently watched three minutes of one episode of this series is slightly worrying in it's own right tbh….:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those that hate Moffat are no more noisy than those who love him. They are not clutching at straws, they are just looking forward to the day, which will come sooner or later, hopefully sooner, when he no longer pollutes their favourite TV programmes.

He created Sherlock. It is his show. You might have a point about DW..not that I agree. But without Moffat and Gatiss there is no Sherlock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He is just a bloke with a limited number of ideas.

When he first came to the fore they were fresh and entertaining..not so much for me now.

There is a lot to be said for the bigger writer groups the US has but of course that costs money.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume the big hint/spoiler/clue in this week's episode that was being referred to earlier was the content of one of the telegrams Sherlock read out.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

e.g,In The Metro
    Clearly a very intelligent reviewer, that person ... :D

I make no bones about the fact I'm a Sherlock fan and therefore naturally predisposed to err on the side of favouring the show. But equally I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. Ultimately it's just my opinion - it's no more or less valid than anyone else's, although I would point out that having some time to consider before writing my review does help to prevent knee-jerk reactions - and allows a bit of research around the story too.

I'd baulk at ever being referred to as a professional reviewer, though. I'm just a high-functioning sociopath, I mean enthusiastic amateur ... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Indeed. I haven't even really liked the lat couple of episodes much, but goodness all this "PDQ" stuff being posted by someone who apparently watched three minutes of one episode of this series is slightly worrying in it's own right tbh….:blush:

Exactly! I didn't like the last two episodes anywhere near as much as S2. Still great TV. But really. Its approaching madness when you're trying to debate an episode of TV with someone who claims not to have watched it.
This discussion has been closed.