Options

Sorry Another...Brothers Girlfriend Thread

*Sunshine**Sunshine* Posts: 82
Forum Member
Hi guys,

Sorry for another brothers girlfriend thread. Well I've made just one so far. But yeah, here is another one.

OK my bro has a girlfriend and basically, the whole family dislike her.

She comes into the house and doesn't even say hello. Sometime she doesn't even come into the house, she waits outside, rude?! She demands my brother buy her stuff, even standing over him on the computer to make sure he gets the right thing, she might as well order it herself and ask for the money. She flirts like a trollop. She brings money into everything.

She's basically nasty, after 5 years of trying to make friends, I'm finally getting now that's it's no good, I or my family can't say anything to my bro cos she'll turn on the tears and put on the pathetic crying tramp act...she does it so well.

SO my question is...HOW do you be civil to someone as nasty and cheap as her?

I'm not gonna blow up and make a big thing cos I love my bro to bits. But how do you be civil to someone who is just so horrible? HOW?

Tips please!

Comments

• Options
    AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she picks up on the fact that your whole family dislike her and thats why she doesn't say hello? I wouldn't wanna come in either!!!:p

I'm not there though so what do I know.
  • Options
    *Sunshine**Sunshine* Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Ok, I take that on board :o)

It's just the family say hello to her, we have to speak first cos if we don't, she won't. I know it doesn't sound much, but can be sitting in the living room, which she needs to walk through to go to the kitchin...and she doesn't even say hello. If I was walking through a room to see my bf I'd say hello at least!

Sorry.

Anyway the question was more how do you cope with someone to ignorant?

She's been shamelessly begging my bro for a proposal for ages. Guessing he'll do as she wants soon and propose, then she can change her facebook status to 'engaged'.

So as a probably soon to be Sister In Law, how do you cope? Don't want to lose my bro, but you know, I gotta be civil. How do you do it?

(Also someone asked me in a PM if my bf didn't even say 'hello' to my family when he walked in, how would I react? I would take him aside and ask him what his problem was, then ask him to make a bit of conversation with my family - it's only polite!)
  • Options
    orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like someone then you don't like them.
    First impressions are rarely wrong.

If that some is a user, and your bro can't see it, (or lets it happen) then that's his problem not yours.
    He probably knows what's going on, but is getting "benefits" so he puts up with it.

There's only so long a relationship like that lasts until the other party wakes up and smells the coffee, Unfortunately - sometimes when it's too late.

Don't pretend to like her, tell your brother how you feel, but tell him, "for his sake you wont be nasty to her", but ask him not to involve her in your life.

When he wakes up, he will remember your words so pick them carefully.

Good luck, and don't stress too much, all you can do is be true to yourself, and take yourself out of the situation.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Nasty, trollpop, tramp, cheap,horrible.

No wonder she doesnt want to come indoors. she probably senses that you all hate her.

It is no ones business apart from your brothers as to who he goes out with.

Just be polite and civil,grit your teeth for the sake of your brother

sometimes we have to get along with people we dont like for the sake of others, it happens throughout life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have my sympathy I’m in the same boat with my brother’s wife I dislike her and always have she is a nasty piece of work I have tried to get on with her but I just can’t like you my family, friends even my brothers friends can see what kind of person she is but he can. It’s an awkward situation but you have to grin and bear it unfortunately otherwise you could create a situation where your brother will take her side, I just take a deep breath and talk to her civil and once she is gone I let rip to my mother ! It’s the only way I can get through it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah not much you can do. Have had a few issues myself regarding a siblings other half. And also I've been the one who's had a girlfreind none of the family like. Problem is, if he loves her then he's not going to notice these faults. Any dig at her, and he'll just defend her. It will also put the family in a bad light which she will use against you and make things worse.
    But you should talk to him alone, and in a constructive manner, and make sure he realises you are on his side.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume your brother likes her so that is the important thing.

You say this has been going on for 5 years ? It seems like neither of you are going to change. Sorry but it sounds like all you can do is be polite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HOW do you be civil to someone as nasty and cheap as her?
    Not calling her nasty and cheap is a good start to being civil. :confused:

I don't know this girl, but I do know that she's your brother's girlfriend and may well soon be family. Like it or not, it's your job to be welcoming to her and friendly to her. Like others have said in this thread, she's probably picked up on your familys' dislike for her, and that's why she comes across as cold. If marriage really is on the cards you need to start making an effort with her too.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sunshine* wrote: »
    Anyway the question was more how do you cope with someone to ignorant?

How much coping do you need to do ? Just smile, say hello, and leave it at that.

You seem to have made up your mind to not like her, so there's no point doing much else.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    How much coping do you need to do ? Just smile, say hello, and leave it at that.

You seem to have made up your mind to not like her, so there's no point doing much else.

Agree with this, it really isn't that hard, think of it as a well learnt life skill. I would also add, that from the comments you have used to describe her such as nasty and cheap, I can understand why she may not feel like being friendly towards you as your hostility is probably very apparent.

You got some excellent advice here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1240105&highlight= have you bothered to use any of it, because it would seem not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply be nice. Ignore the fact that she's ignorant. No ones saying make friends but polite conversation wouldn't hurt you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I agree with the poster in the last thread who said you were so possessive it was creepy. You come across like an overpossessive mother trying to scare off her precious boys girlfriends rather than a sister. It's weird. Also your rants about her come across as being extremely childish. If you're not under the age of sixteen you properly need to grow up and get with the programme and stop behaving like a brat.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your brother has been with her for five years?? That's quite a substantial relationship. I'd leave them alone if I was you. She's his girlfriend not yours there's no need for you to like her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just read a few posts from your previous threads and you sound like a petty, jealous little cow. No wonder she doesn't want to be friendly towards you. It's you who seems to have the problem - not your brother. His life. His choice.

You sound like a right little madam.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »

That's pretty much it. I really, really, really cannot express how much I dislike my SiL, any rant about her would go on for pages, she's caused more upset in my family then anyone else, she's an ignorant, rude, domineering old bag* who I'd quite happily never see/speak to again and will never forgive her for some of her actions, but, for the sake of peace within the family, I grit my teeth, smile nicely and make small talk when necessary. Sometimes it's all you can do

* For the sake of balance, I'm well aware I'm a mardy old cow a lot of the time :o
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    See her as your brother sees her. Five years is a long time in a relationship.

Be polite and welcoming.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your brother sounds like a bit of a sap to be honest :o

Unless he is going to confront her about her behaviour then nothing will ever change? After 5 years it seems unlikely your brother will ever tackle her?

Who knows - maybe he likes being dominated / controlled.

However it is not really anyone else's place to say anything so for the time being you grit your teeth and get on with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your brother sounds like a bit of a sap to be honest :o

Unless he is going to confront her about her behaviour then nothing will ever change? After 5 years it seems unlikely your brother will ever tackle her?

Who knows - maybe he likes being dominated / controlled.

Howeber it is not really anyone else's place to say anything so for the time being you grit your teeth and get on with it.

But we only have the OP's view that she is domineering and judging by her previous thread, it's a very skewed view as she is very possessive over him.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person who feels a bit sorry for the girlfriend? No wonder she's always crying. And as for her waiting for the brother outside the house, rather than coming in, who can blame her? I wouldn't want to set foot in a house where all the occupants disliked me, apart from my boyfriend.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But we only have the OP's view that she is domineering and judging by her previous thread, it's a very skewed view as she is very possessive over him.

Well the brother is still a sap as he has either a) let his GF behave like a spoilt brat for 5 years without confronting her or b) let his family be nasty, cold and ostricize his GF for 5 years without confronting them :o

Either way I think the brother has been a bit spineless to be honest. He has bought this girl into the family folds and it is his duty to try and make it work... for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only person who feels a bit sorry for the girlfriend? No wonder she's always crying. And as for her waiting for the brother outside the house, rather than coming in, who can blame her? I wouldn't want to set foot in a house where all the occupants disliked me, apart from my boyfriend.

Nope, I'm with you Alfie. I also feel sorry for the brother being trapped in the middle of it. Poor bloke.
    Well the brother is still a sap as he has either a) let his GF behave like a spoilt brat for 5 years without confronting her or b) let his family be nasty, cold and ostricize his GF for 5 years without confronting them :oEither way I think the brother has been a bit spineless to be honest. He has bought this girl into the family folds and it is his duty to try and make it work... for everyone.
    Again, we only have the OP's version of events. For all we know the rest of the family may not have a problem with her as they aren't possessive over him as the OP appears to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Well the brother is still a sap as he has either a) let his GF behave like a spoilt brat for 5 years without confronting her or b) let his family be nasty, cold and ostricize his GF for 5 years without confronting them :o

Either way I think the brother has been a bit spineless to be honest. He has bought this girl into the family folds and it is his duty to try and make it work... for everyone.

I think that's wrong. He's not a sap, he's just a poor sod stuck in an awful situation where people that he cares about can't get along and he's doing the best he can to muddle through.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, maybe many of us have totally misread you, and she really is as nasty and unpleasant as you describe, but as your brother's choice of girlfriend, and a guest in your house, I think you have to bite your tongue and force yourself to be pleasant to her. Also, do you trust your brother's judgement? You've said that he's a great bloke, and that you get on well - so surely he would be a good judge of character? If he can see things in her that he likes, surely there must be something likeable there? Another thing is that you talk about "all of us" as though there are several - even if there are only your parents and you, that's still three people against just her on her own. It's can be very hard to break into a unit like that - maybe she's not used to big families, or maybe she's a bit shy, or maybe she's not comfortable walking into a room full of people who are all "together" and who don't like her.

But I agree with others - I feel sorry for the girl. Look at this from the other side - what if someone came on here posting:
    "I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years. He's a fab bloke, and we have a wonderful relationship. I love him to bits, and we've been talking about marriage and everything. However, the only downside is that his family seem to hate me! I've tried to be nice, because he loves them, but they're so unwelcoming, especially his sister. I'm sure she slags me off to him behind my back. She never says hello, even when I come in to their house to see him! Sometimes I walk into the living room and she just gives me dirty looks and never says anything, so I try to walk through quickly and not make eye contact. If I can get away with waiting outside in the car for my partner then I will, because they're so hostile. At Christmas, he tried to build bridges by inviting me and his sister out to a concert together - it was a singer she really liked, but all she did was moan because I was going too. She just can't accept that he's chosen me, and I'm going to be part of the family. I don't know what to do - I'd end it with him, but I know it would break his heart, so I can't do that!"
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    It's none of your business who your brother goes out with. Maybe he puts up with her personality because she's good in the sack.
    The point is, no-one can ever tell you who to go out with. There will come a time when you meet a girl that your family dosen't like.
    Having experienced a similar thing in my extended family, I have to say that the dislike nay hatred of the girlfriend actually pushed him into marrying her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yeesh I'm so glad I get on with my boyfriend's family :o

Does your brother know how you all feel?