Options

Avril Lavigne - I'm With You

MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I heard this the other day for the first time in ages, and was surprised to learn it only reached #7 in the charts in 2003. I think this is a great ballad and very underrated (as is a lot of Avril's music). Anyone else a fan of this track?

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah i like it
    Any songs that follow the huge hits that were Complicated and Sk8er Boi were never gonna chart high. But it did well. It's what you would call a modest hit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Not a big fan of hers but definitely her best song by a long way.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great track
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like nobody's home by her too
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lovely song but very depressing....the thought one feels so hopeless and desperate that they give themselves away to a complete stranger. I always feel a little down after listening to it.
  • Options
    James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    I really like this song, although I found the song more uplifting than the previous poster. When I listen to it I feel a sense of hope and excitement about what's to come, with the desperation mixed in there too, so I can completely see why it is depressing, but I don't feel that way. That said, I listened to that album first when I was 11 so it's very nostalgic listening to it, which might be part of it for me.

I really love that whole album though, particularly Anything but Ordinary and Too Much to Ask.
  • Options
    welshboy89welshboy89 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Not a big fan of hers but definitely her best song by a long way.

Agreed.

I'm not much of an Avril fan but I have to agree.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like this song, although I found the song more uplifting than the previous poster. When I listen to it I feel a sense of hope and excitement about what's to come, with the desperation mixed in there too, so I can completely see why it is depressing, but I don't feel that way. That said, I listened to that album first when I was 11 so it's very nostalgic listening to it, which might be part of it for me.

I really love that whole album though, particularly Anything but Ordinary and Too Much to Ask.

That whole album is good. I may have to listen to it soon; I probably haven't listened to it for about 10 years so that'll be a blast from the past.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viewers of Magic voted it the best love song of all time a few years ago, so there are still folk out there who appreciate it!
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like this song, although I found the song more uplifting than the previous poster. When I listen to it I feel a sense of hope and excitement about what's to come, with the desperation mixed in there too, so I can completely see why it is depressing, but I don't feel that way. .

agreed, although i cant see why its depressing, like you said its a song about hope and excitement about whats to come. that message of happy anticipation is what comes through to me.
  • Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i like it
    Any songs that follow the huge hits that were Complicated and Sk8er Boi were never gonna chart high. But it did well. It's what you would call a modest hit.

I'm With You was actually a bigger hit than Sk8er Boi; it got to #7 in 2003 whereas Sk8er Boi peaked at #8 in 2002. I would have thought both charted higher (I also believed Complicated and Girlfriend were #1 hits but they peaked at #3 and #2 respectively).
  • Options
    Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That whole album is good. I may have to listen to it soon; I probably haven't listened to it for about 10 years so that'll be a blast from the past.

every album from her has been good
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed, although i cant see why its depressing, like you said its a song about hope and excitement about whats to come. that message of happy anticipation is what comes through to me.

People have different interpretations.
    I think it sounds like someone at the end of their tether who's turned their back on family and friends in favour of a complete stranger.
    That is my reading of the song anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I do think it is one of her strongest songs - her ballads tend to be better than her upbeat music!

That said, I still don't understand the strong dislike of the British public towards her. I know perhaps the bratty, immature image can be a bit of a put-off, but there's no denying she produces good, light-hearted pop music.

Her single choices tend to let her down. I think one of my favourite songs (which I've linked below) from her last album would be a perfect single for around this time of year. For some reason it just creates autumnal images in my head. I still don't know why the car crash of a song Hello Kitty was chosen as a single!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x562K2TbyM8
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Under my Skin was a great album, her best undoubtedly, but then like many young easily led artists ( Taylor Swift etc) she sold out and went all commercial, flashing the flesh and writing cringe worthy songs, deary me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    While I agree that Under My Skin is probably her strongest album, I don't get the 'commercial' argument against the rest of her music.

Her biggest singles - Complicated, Sk8er Boi, My Happy Ending, Girlfriend - are all commercial pop songs - it's what she's always done. I think it's just the public seem to have taken a dislike to her!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ad_S wrote: »
    While I agree that Under My Skin is probably her strongest album, I don't get the 'commercial' argument against the rest of her music.

Her biggest singles - Complicated, Sk8er Boi, My Happy Ending, Girlfriend - are all commercial pop songs - it's what she's always done. I think it's just the public seem to have taken a dislike to her!

I think part of it is that she hasn't seemed to matured as an artist and if anything her music seems younger than on Let Go, which for me gives all her music a nostalgia and a sense of defiance as she refuses to grow up. However each album seems to suffer diminishing marginal returns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess as a fan, I'm a bit biased but I do think a lot of her music has shown progression and has evolved, perhaps not matured though as you rightly said. Unfortunately also, a lot of these songs are left on the albums and not released to the general public.

I do understand the problem people might have with a near 30 year old singing about never growing up, but the same rules don't seem to apply when it is the likes of Katy Perry (Last Friday Night, This Is How Do) or Nicki Minaj (Anaconda) ... I guess I'm just bitter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess as a fan, I'm a bit biased but I do think a lot of her music has shown progression and has evolved, perhaps not matured though as you rightly said. Unfortunately also, a lot of these songs are left on the albums and not released to the general public.

I do understand the problem people might have with a near 30 year old singing about never growing up, but the same rules don't seem to apply when it is the likes of Katy Perry (Last Friday Night, This Is How Do) or Nicki Minaj (Anaconda) ... I guess I'm just bitter!

Avril Lavigne started younger and therefore has been around a bit longer than Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj, which somewhat gives the impression that she's older. I don't think this should be the case, but I think that is part of the reason for the double standard.
  • Options
    Bob_AjobBob_Ajob Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not her biggest fan, but I'm With You and Sk8er Boi are pretty good tracks
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob_Ajob wrote: »
    I'm not her biggest fan, but I'm With You and Sk8er Boi are pretty good tracks

Another very good track from Avril is Losing Grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOcKckBLouM
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avril Lavigne went backwards with her progression, not forwards. That's why she isn't as popular as she once was. Her last album sounded like an album you expect someone from a teen star of Disney or Nickoloden to release, but it was actually released by a 29 year old. The best damn thing was very juvinile as well. Goodbye Lullaby was her divorce album and felt more mature. She needs to grow up. Maybe her second divorce will inspire a good mature break up record?
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd forgotten all about My Happy Ending - love that song.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I remember buying this single on cassette tape back in the day and got all her singles and albums on tape. I bet most of you here were still in primary school at the time lol.
  • Options
    lulu25lulu25 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Another very good track from Avril is Losing Grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOcKckBLouM

Love this song!

I'm not a massive Avril fan but both Losing Grip and I'm with you are brilliant songs.