Options

Scart cable connection problem

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea of scart being able to act as an input socket and as an output socket at the same time is a difficult one to grasp - the VCR at the 'upstream' end of my set up reads in the signal from the Sky box VCR scart so as to record it (the VCR input needs to be set to the scart socket in the VCR, usually AV1). When you press PLAY, a voltage is applied to pin 8 which says 'hello, I'm playing, I am important'. The scart then reverts to output on the VCR but input on the Sky box.

This 'important' signal is then passed through to the DVDR which behaves in the same way, making way for the new 'important' VCR signal to appear on the TV.

If you then press STOP on the VCR, the voltage on pin 8 is removed and the VCR signal becomes less important with the TV reverting to the picture previously being displayed.

David, i suggest you leave your RF cables as they are (I advised in a previous post that RF2 is a very important part of the Sky set up, I know I use it as you do) and appy my scart set up. Then try it and see how it goes.

As you will see from the DTV Group note, this is standard stuff.

I may now retire from this post as i definitely dont want to argue the toss about configs.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Scorpio wrote:
    Simple, same as my set up:
    VCR AV1 (in/out scart) ---> Sky+ VCR scart (the top one......)
    Sky+ TV Scart ---> DVDR AV2 (set Sky video setting and DVDR input to RGB)
    DVDR AV1 ---> TV AV1 (an RGB scart)
    DVD player ---> any other RGB enable scart on the TV
    Scorp,
    After replugging my Scart cables as you recommend, confirming that Scart Video Output is set to RGB in Sky Services/System Setup/Picture Settings and confirming that the DVDR Scart input is set to Video/RGB (a fixed setting that implies auto mode switching capability) things went a little pear-shaped. :cry: The Sky picture on the TV will not synchronise and just keeps skipping, and when I switch to VCR the picture is just pure black all the time. In both these two situations, I have ensured that the TV is switched to the AV1 channel. The two devices connected directly to the TV work fine.

Any suggestions? BTW, I cannot find any Scart options in the VCR setup menu. I'm guessing that this also needs to be in RGB but I don't know if the VCR supports this. Does your setup require cables of a specific type or should any Scart cable work?

David
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    haggis999 wrote:
    Any suggestions? BTW, I cannot find any Scart options in the VCR setup menu. I'm guessing that this also needs to be in RGB but I don't know if the VCR supports this. Does your setup require cables of a specific type or should any Scart cable work?

VCR's don't have RGB, as it's not present inside them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haggis999 wrote:
    Scorp,
    After replugging my Scart cables as you recommend, confirming that Scart Video Output is set to RGB in Sky Services/System Setup/Picture Settings and confirming that the DVDR Scart input is set to Video/RGB (a fixed setting that implies auto mode switching capability) things went a little pear-shaped. :cry: The Sky picture on the TV will not synchronise and just keeps skipping, and when I switch to VCR the picture is just pure black all the time. In both these two situations, I have ensured that the TV is switched to the AV1 channel. The two devices connected directly to the TV work fine.

David
    Hi David, the DVDR output should also be set to RGB - I suspect this is not the case and will explain the black picture from the VCR.

You can test this by unplugging the Sky box from the DVDR and then play a DVD. On the TV (set to AV1) you should see a logo showing that the picture is an RGB one.

If this works OK, plug the Sky box back in and set the DVDR to standby. Again, with the TV on AV1, you should see the Sky picture and a logo showing that this is also an RGB picture.

If the TV does not have these logos (my Panny does) a good way of checking for RGB is to look at the edges of the Sky menu pages, they will be really crisp and sharp if it is in RGB.

Try these things first and report back.

The next step is to press play om the VCR and see what happens.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VCR's don't have RGB, as it's not present inside them.
    Nigel is correct here, the VCR would pass through an RGB signal if asked (not needed in your set up) but is not capable of generating an RGB signal of its own. the signal sent by the VCR is known as 'composite' or 'video' which is why your DVDR input needs to be able to switch between video and RGB automatically as you will be sending it a 'video' signal when play is pressed on the VCR and an 'RGB' signal when the VCR is in standby or stop is pressed.

Sorry if this sounds complicated but it's nowhere near as difficult as it seems.

rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, here's the latest status...

My kit is all mounted on shelving and the space for cabling is a little cramped. Securely seating each of the Scart cables is not easy and the weight of the cables sometimes pulls them slightly out of their sockets (why on earth didn't they design a proper locking system?). I think I may have had a slightly misaligned cable first time around. My Sky and VCR pictures now appear ok.

However, I now have a different problem. I can't find a way to reliably switch between the three devices that share the AV1 input on the TV. If the DVDR is switched on, it always hogs the connection, even if the VCR or Sky boxes are switched on and off. If the DVDR is off and Sky is on, then Sky hogs the connection. I can only view the VCR if everything else is off.

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haggis999 wrote:
    However, I now have a different problem. I can't find a way to reliably switch between the three devices that share the AV1 input on the TV. If the DVDR is switched on, it always hogs the connection, even if the VCR or Sky boxes are switched on and off. If the DVDR is off and Sky is on, then Sky hogs the connection. I can only view the VCR if everything else is off.

David
    Glad all is working now - what you describe here is normal. Leave the DVDR set to input AV2, then (whether the DVDR is on or off) it will pass through the Sky signal until you fire up a disk.

Similarly, with the VCR, even with it on it will not override the Sky signal unless you press play. Leave the VCR set ot AV1 so that it is ready for recording from Sky.

Have a little play around and you'll get the hang of it.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scorpio wrote:
    Glad all is working now - what you describe here is normal. Leave the DVDR set to input AV2, then (whether the DVDR is on or off) it will pass through the Sky signal until you fire up a disk.

Similarly, with the VCR, even with it on it will not override the Sky signal unless you press play. Leave the VCR set ot AV1 so that it is ready for recording from Sky.
    Scorp,
    Well, you were right that starting to play a tape would trigger the switching of the TV AV1 input to the VCR signal. I had previously been assuming that powering up the VCR and changing the VCR's own tuner channels should be enough to trigger this switch. However, once the VCR has control I can't find a way to make the Sky signal take precedence (except by turning off the VCR).

Also, I don't understand what you meant by "Leave the DVDR set to input AV2". Was that a typo for AV1 (i.e. TV input AV1)?

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you press STOP on the VCR it should revert to Sky.........is this happening?

The DVDR can record from 2 sources, aits own internal tuner(S) or an external device. The only external device you have connected is the sky box. This is connected to the AV2 socket of the DVDR. Therefore, if the DVDR is on (but not recording a channel other than AV2 or playing a disc, it must pass through the signal from the device connected to AV2 - the Sky box.

SO, of you leave the input on the DVDR set to AV2, even if the DVDR is on it will send through the Sky signal to the TV (on AV1). Only when you record on DVDR or play a disc will this sky signal be interrupted.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I press stop on the VCR the VCR retains control of the TV's AV1 input. The signal simply switches to one of the channels on the VCR's own tuner.

Also, your last post suggests that it would not be possible to record a programme on the DVDR (using its own tuner) while I watch another programme on Sky. Is this correct, or have I misunderstood your explanation?

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your first point suggests that the VCR does not react in the same way as mine (and i have read). This may be because the VCR is not connected by a fully wired scart OR you do not have SCART CONTROL turned on in your Sky box settings (not sure where they are).

RE: your 2nd point, this is sometimes an issue with DVDRs - they need to be upstream of devices like Sky to make use of RGB quality but also need to be able to pass the signal through while recording. My Panny does not do this but some have a button called SATMON (satellite monitor) to allow the signal through.

refresh my memory: do you have Sky or Sky+? This is relevant as Sky+ has an extra Svideo socket which can be used for monitoring.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scart Control wasn't previously switched on in the Sky box. It is now but it makes no difference. It's actually a Sky HD digibox that I'm simply using for its Sky+ capability (Sky stopped selling the 160GB Sky+ unit when the HD box came out at the same price).

If S-video is a poorer quality link than Scart then I'd prefer to avoid it. Is there an easy way to tell whether my Scarts are fully wired?

What if I bypassed all these Scart switching complications by reverting to my original setup where each device was directly connected to its own Scart socket on the TV and then used an external Scart switch to connect the Sky box to either the VCR or the DVDR? Does anyone sell a single input multi-output external Scart switch or are they all multi-input single output? If such a switch exists would it be likely to affect signal quality?

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can connect the Svideo cable to the TV using an Svideo enabled scart socket (you need a small physical converter like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=-9471&criteria=svideo%20scart&doy=2m1 from Maplins. The Svideo signal is good but will also need you to carry audio seperately.

Alternatively, you can use a scart switcher as you describe like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33166&criteria=scart%20switcher&doy=2m1.

Heres the real $64,000 question.........if you have Sky+ (HD box) that can record 2 channels at once (same as me) you dont really need to record to DVD other than to archive, is this correct? If so, do it at night (as the majority of DSers do. If you are archiving from sky+ it is not possible to watch something other than what is being played back...........

Can you describe in what circumstances you would need to be recording to DVD and watching Sky............i know sometimes I record 3 channels at once but can monitor Sky through my Svideo channel - you could do the same or even use RF for the VERY rare occasion when this becomes necessary. Far less complicated than scart switchers which you will hardly ever use.

Rgds,
    Scorp

Rgds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haggis999 wrote:
    When I press stop on the VCR the VCR retains control of the TV's AV1 input. The signal simply switches to one of the channels on the VCR's own tuner.
    If your VCR has 2 scart sockets, ensure that the one conncting to the Sky VCR socket is AV1 on the VCR - this should be an in/out scart enabling playback and also record through one scart.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    im glad you started this haggis. there must be scart cables everywhere.... good luck youll need it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VCR AV1 (in/out scart) ---> Sky+ VCR scart (the top one......)
    Sky+ TV Scart ---> DVDR AV2 (set Sky video setting and DVDR input to RGB)
    DVDR AV1 ---> TV AV1 (an RGB scart)
    DVD player ---> any other RGB enable scart on the TV

I count 4, Niall - how many do you make it?

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scorp,
    Your second Maplin link is for a multi-input single output Scart switch, like the others I have seen - they all seem to be designed to overcome a lack of Scart inputs on a TV. Do you think that this can be used in reverse to meet my single input, twin (switched) output, requirement? Even if it does, I note that only two of the connections support RGB. Would this cause a problem?

The primary purpose of my DVDR box is to archive from Sky+. Very occasionally it might also be used to enable the simultaneous recording of a third (non-Sky) channel. Because it is a bit of a pain to set up DVD archiving from Sky+, I was always intending to use the DVDR's own tuner for recording programmes not unique to Sky. If I use your original recommended setup I would then have to exploit either S-Video or RF for watching Sky+ while the DVDR was doing its thing.

As far as I can see, none of my options are without some complication or other, but my original Scart wiring still seems the simplest and best in every respect except for the lack of VCR and DVDR coexistence for Sky recordings. A Scart switch to solve that problem doesn't seem that complicated to me. Of course, I could just accept Niall's earlier advice to persuade my family and friends to accept DVDs instead of videotapes!

Niall,
    My original setup used 5 Scart cables. Scorpio's solution uses 4, as he has said. My current preferred solution (assuming a suitable switch is available) would have 6 Scart cables. I don't really have a problem with this as long as it all works properly.

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scorpio wrote:
    If your VCR has 2 scart sockets, ensure that the one conncting to the Sky VCR socket is AV1 on the VCR - this should be an in/out scart enabling playback and also record through one scart.
    Scorp,
    Yup. That's the way I have it connected. Perhaps some of my Scart cables do not have all the pins wired, but without testing every connection with a meter, I don't know how to tell if this is the case.

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haggis999 wrote:
    Scorp,
    Your second Maplin link is for a multi-input single output Scart switch, like the others I have seen - they all seem to be designed to overcome a lack of Scart inputs on a TV. Do you think that this can be used in reverse to meet my single input, twin (switched) output, requirement? Even if it does, I note that only two of the connections support RGB. Would this cause a problem?
    Yes, this would work, I have used devices like this before successfully.
    haggis999 wrote:
    The primary purpose of my DVDR box is to archive from Sky+. Very occasionally it might also be used to enable the simultaneous recording of a third (non-Sky) channel. Because it is a bit of a pain to set up DVD archiving from Sky+, I was always intending to use the DVDR's own tuner for recording programmes not unique to Sky. If I use your original recommended setup I would then have to exploit either S-Video or RF for watching Sky+ while the DVDR was doing its thing.
    Like you, I use my DVDR to archive programs from Sky+ and to record that 3rd program when occasions demand (though rare).

For archiving, this is very simple as the DVDR is directly connected to Sky+ and you can set up a copy of a long running movie or sports event overnight.

If you want to watch a Sky channel while the DVDR is recording 'off air' then you need to use a SATMON function (if it has one) to pass the signal through OR you need to tap into one of Sky+'s other outpus - Svideo or RF. Svideo is much better picture than RF or composite and, on some TVs, posters here feel it approaches RGB in quality.

To connect up you need an SVideo cable which may be able to plug directly into an Svideo socket in your TV. On my Panny AV2 accommodates composite and Svideo but as this is a scart connector, the physical connection needs to be converted via the adaptor in the Maplins link above. You will also need to connect an audio cable as Svideo is picture only. Also, try tuning in the Sky RF signal, it may be Ok for the (very) rare occasions you require it. Also, I havent yet gleaned from your posts if you have a sound system or not?
    haggis999 wrote:
    As far as I can see, none of my options are without some complication or other, but my original Scart wiring still seems the simplest and best in every respect except for the lack of VCR and DVDR coexistence for Sky recordings. A Scart switch to solve that problem doesn't seem that complicated to me. Of course, I could just accept Niall's earlier advice to persuade my family and friends to accept DVDs instead of videotapes!?
    Do not give up, David, you are nearly there!

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scorpio wrote:
    Do not give up, David, you are nearly there!
    Scorp,
    I'm not too worried about watching Sky while the DVDR is recording from its own tuner. Your S-video or RF solutions would be acceptable for the rare occasions when this is required. After all this debate, I'm not going to give up without a fight! However, there is still at least one problem with your setup for which I don't yet have a solution.

I have a good stereo system for music which also provides the front L & R speakers for my 5-channel AV system. A total of no less than 7 remote controls are replaced by a single programmable RF remote (from Universal Remote Controls). Without this, things would get very complicated and my wife would revolt :). It is absolutely vital that my programmable remote can offer reliable switching between programme sources - and with your Scart setup I have not yet found a way to switch from VCR to SKY.

To sum up where the debate stands at present, I have two options,

1. Direct Scart connection of each device to the TV

This was my original setup and it offers the best quality connection at all times for all four devices. It also offers a clear cut input selection process for the TV (using my programmable remote). The ONLY problem is that it does not permit recording from Sky to both the VCR and the DVDR. This would need a Scart switch - a very simple solution, in theory, but not yet tested.

2. Indirect Scart connection of SKY and VCR

Your proposed setup, exploiting the 'look at me' autoswitching capability of Scart cabling. This allows VCR and DVDR recording from Sky to coexist and avoids spending money on an extra Scart cable and switch but has some downsides. Top quality RGB connections are not available in certain, albeit rare, circumstances. More importantly, Scart autoswitching shows signs of being a temperamental beast. If I can't tame that beast, then Option 1 is the clear winner (even if I have to resolve my recording issue by physically swapping a Scart connection).

Regards,
    David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what about this then

forget sendind rgb signals to video as the small picture quality improvement will be lost. you need to stand back a minute.

now standing back and smoking your pipe contemplating your next move think of this.

you record sky on your dvd-rec. and sometimes video.

now this is what i suggest to get round all this ho ha.

take the aerial from the roof directly to the dvd-rec. why? you record sky to dvd-rec with a scart lead thats why. so you can use the rf1 output on sky box to the video. rf2 output on sky box will still go elsewhere in your house and work the maic eye. tune your video to so that sky is ch6 and record sky on ch6.

if you buy one oxygen free rf cable for about £10 to £15 i bet recording on the vhs tape will be as good as a recording from scart. when you are in another part of the house sky looks amazing because the rf outputs are really good. so use it

your dvd-rec should be able to record a rgb signal from the sky box. my sony dvd-recorder can on scart connection av3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    try a dummy run and see what the recording looks like before spending money. better to make your mind up now.

i always buy oxygen free cables and make sure they are fully pinned. the picture quality jumps out at you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... take the aerial from the roof directly to the dvd-rec ...... use the rf1 output on sky box to the video. tune your video to so that sky is ch6 and record sky on ch6.
    Niall,
    That's the way I already have it wired (and Aerial Out on the DVDR is fed to Aerial In on the Sky box). I had not yet considered the option of doing my videotape Sky recordings via the RF connection. It's certainly worth a try but I'm struggling to tune my VCR to the RF Sky signal. My Sony VCR just seems to permit me to step through a list of numbered UHF channels - none of which are showing Sky (and, yes, the Sky box is turned on). So far, reading the manual hasn't helped ....

if you buy one oxygen free rf cable for about £10 to £15 i bet recording on the vhs tape will be as good as a recording from scart.
    I'm not quite sure why a fancy short RF cable between boxes would make a difference when the much longer main downlead is just ordinary RF coax. Please clarify.

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to respond to your points as best i can:

1. Remote device switching as you have it controls the AV sockets on the TV whereas what i have proposed depends on devices talking to each other to pass control - I have not had a problem with this but it seems your VCR is not reacting as it should. Most VCRs have 2 scarts wich are both in/out. Try connecting the Sky VCR scart to the other spare scart in the VCR and see if the behaviour is more as expected.

2. Be very clear about your statement 'best quality connection at all times for all four devices' as this is almost certainly not the case. Yes, they are connected by scart but your TV scarts probably accept RGB on only 2 of these. In which case, you are watching a composite picture (albeit carried by a scart cable) on the devices plugged into scarts 3 and 4. This may look OK to you but with my set up we pass full RGB signals from the Sky box and DVDR to the TV and also the Sky box to the DVDR for top quality recording.

3. It is possible to use a scart switcher (complete with its own remote) to control inputs to (say) the AV1 RGB scart on yout TV. These also allow for one of the devices to be the 'recorder' say the VCR. This we can look at after your next set of investigations.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scorpio wrote:
    Most VCRs have 2 scarts wich are both in/out. Try connecting the Sky VCR scart to the other spare scart in the VCR and see if the behaviour is more as expected.
    Unfortunately, I can't do this. My VCR does have 2 Scart sockets but only one is in/out. How likely is it that my problem is caused by unconnected pins in one or more Scart cables?
    Be very clear about your statement 'best quality connection at all times for all four devices' as this is almost certainly not the case. Yes, they are connected by scart but your TV scarts probably accept RGB on only 2 of these. In which case, you are watching a composite picture (albeit carried by a scart cable) on the devices plugged into scarts 3 and 4. This may look OK to you but with my set up we pass full RGB signals from the Sky box and DVDR to the TV and also the Sky box to the DVDR for top quality recording.
    Yes, only 2 of the TV's 4 Scarts are RGB but surely a non-RGB Scart is ok for the VCR as it sends out a composite signal anyway? The DVDR also uses a non-RGB Scart input on the TV but this is not an issue for me. I only expect to use this connection for initial setup of a recording. Any DVD playback will be done on my dedicated DVD player, which uses one of the RGB inputs. The other RGB input on the TV is used for Sky. Thus the only 2 inputs that really need RGB have got it.

Regards,
    David