capturing video to my mac from an ntl box or vhs

jmezjmez Posts: 52
Forum Member
Hi, just wondered whether anyone can help me out...

I wish to capture some video from my ntl box and video recorder to my imac, does anyone know the best way to do this? i.e what i'l need? i know most people will know how to do this to a pc but im a mac boy and thats how its staying!

if anyone can help then great, if not, no worries.

TIA

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most breakout boxes that i know of e.g. pinnacle etc. work with PCs. One option could be if you have a DV camcorder with AV in/out and DV in/out, then you could use it to shuttle video footage between the two. or maybe buy a dvd recorder and hook that up.
  • mtazovmtazov Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you need a video in card on your pc and the correct conector wires.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you already have a suitable camcorder then that would be the easiest option, you could even record on to it and import and edit the recordings using iMovie. You might need a switchable SCART plug to connect the ntl box's output to your camcorder's input.

Or go to the online Apple Store http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore and put "video capture" into the search box. There are several mac compatible products listed that ought to do the job, brands like Canopus, Pinnacle and Miglia, but you need to check compatibility with your particular computer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hook up my NTL box to my DV camera then connect it to my iBook using a firewire lead. Then whatever is on the NTL box appears on the camera screen and in Final Cut.

You can buy a dedicated capture device or capture card, but if you have already got a DV cam and firewire port then there is no need :)