Options

Sky Movies excess profits slated by competition regulator

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you feel that the subs for Sky Movies are too high?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/08/sky-movies-excess-profits

Might result in cheaper movie packages in the future?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you take Sky Sports, then adding Sky Movies is pretty good value.
    If you're just taking Sky Movies, then IMO it offers extremely poor value in terms of what you can get from the likes of Lovefilm and Screenclick.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "reap what you sow" ? invested heavily in the 80's/90's, now reaping the benefits.

No one ventured into the game 20 odd years ago, too risky, no one wants it, then there was the half baked BSB, but they merged with Sky, no one else went near this idea for years after, now Sky is the dominant player, and no one is happy, I suppose Sky could say "What have you been doing for 20 years whilst we have been spending millions"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see sky investigated for the way they lock away the on demand rights for movies they have no way of using anti competitive you bet,if sky cannot use them why buy them to lock away.? Answer to stop others buying them who could,come on competition commission do your job.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexsteve wrote: »
    I would like to see sky investigated for the way they lock away the on demand rights for movies they have no way of using

I take it you have never used the excellent sky player.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the BSB merger Sky renegotiated its movie contracts.Obviously trying to maximise its profit margins as there was no competition left. Sky have been happy to keep things the way they are for the last 20 years :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the BSB merger Sky renegotiated its movie contracts.Obviously trying to maximise its profit margins as there was no competition left. Sky have been happy to keep things the way they are for the last 20 years :D

I don't remember anyone else trying to compete.

Can't really complain if no-one else has stepped up to take them on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are plenty of alternatives to SKY for watching movies, it's one part of their package that has suffered in perceived value more so than anyother thanks to the rise of DVD both rental (high street/mail) and sell through and now streaming options. Any move to treat SKY movies like SKY sports in terms of wholesale is pretty much pointless, SKY's major competitors are strong on streaming and VOD something which SKY has not tied down.

That said the amount SKY pays for movies is significantly lower the sports contracts and does not require huge investment in production so in theory the price to the subscriber for movies should be significantly lower when compared to the other premium content which is sports but that's how you make money:)