120Mb Upgrade

Dont want to sound ungrateful as iv just had my 100Mb free upgrade but I was wondering what the roll-out for 120Mb is. Anyone got a more specific than "Summer"? I know that could be between July and August but does anyone in the know has a clue or a roll-out schedule?

Comments

• BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Nothing more has been confirmed yet
  • ScottishwhiteScottishwhite Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    weegrim wrote: »
    Dont want to sound ungrateful as iv just had my 100Mb free upgrade but I was wondering what the roll-out for 120Mb is. Anyone got a more specific than "Summer"? I know that could be between July and August but does anyone in the know has a clue or a roll-out schedule?

How did you manage to upgrade?

I only ask cos I phoned up on Thursday and was quoted £49.95 to install, I declined and will wait until the free upgrade, especially as I paid £50 plus £30 activation for the 50Mb when it first came out
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member

I only ask cos I phoned up on Thursday and was quoted £49.95 to install, I declined and will wait until the free upgrade, especially as I paid £50 plus £30 activation for the 50Mb when it first came out

How did you manage to pay £50 to upgrade to 50MB Broadband, I only paid £25 plus the £30 Activation Fee to upgrade when it first came out in our area?

I wanted Wireless Internet at the time and the other option was £20 more, so I chose to upgrade instead
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the 120mbps upgrade, what happens if you're currently on the "interim" XXL100 tier?

I get 100/5 at the moment, but will I go to 120/12 (120/10?) in the summer or will it happen later?

This part of the upgrade's not really been clearly laid out IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did you manage to pay £50 to upgrade to 50MB Broadband, I only paid £25 plus the £30 Activation Fee to upgrade when it first came out in our area?

I wanted Wireless Internet at the time and the other option was £20 more, so I chose to upgrade instead

That was because Uddingston was one of the first areas to get 50Mb (2009) and the pricing for the first areas was very high.
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    With the 120mbps upgrade, what happens if you're currently on the "interim" XXL100 tier?

I get 100/5 at the moment, but will I go to 120/12 (120/10?) in the summer or will it happen later?

This part of the upgrade's not really been clearly laid out IMO.
    It'll the same process as the other upgrades - it will happen automatically as all customers going to 100Mbit will have mostly compatible kit

Although I think anyone with a VMNG300 modem will get offered a SuperHub

As to when exactly the upgrades start, that hasn't been confirmed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member

I called retentions and asked for my free upgrade early. He said I dnt think it's in ur area and I told him my neighbour was offered it he said he was checking and then said that's it done, did I want a superhub? I declined!! I also previously was told no twice when I asked but the guy the other day was gonna say no too till I said I knew it was in my area as next door was offered it. I'm guessing ur in Uddingston too? I paid no activation or needed for install it was activated on my account before the guy told me he had done it modem restarted and there it was!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just phoned retentions, as we have Mates Rates they say it will cancel the discount.........and will not be told that we have the VMNG300 and a D-Link router, and that we don't have a superhub already, clueless CSR!
    Forum Member
    Just phoned retentions, as we have Mates Rates they say it will cancel the discount.........and will not be told that we have the VMNG300 and a D-Link router, and that we have a superhub already, clueless CSR!

I also have mates rates and all the guy said to me was its more difficult to apply the upgrade but I'm going to see if I can do it and the rest Iv said above! I also asked if it made any difference to my account and was told no, no changes. Try again and insist that it can be done get a supervisor. They won't like putting u onto one but I had a serious gerivance with helping my grandfather with his account and a retentions manager sorted things!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried again and was told no, this was (apparently) conformed by the mates rates team, my understanding of the mates rates is that you can the triple XL pack (XL phone, XL TV and XL broadband) for half price, this means that there are folk out there that are paying less and have the 60Mb service......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    i thought the 120 ugrade is for existing 100meg customers only
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought the 120 ugrade is for existing 100meg customers only
    No, it's for all 100meg customers, including those who have been speed-doubled.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Funny you mention that.

My virgin Media page says I can't have it now. But the offers page is saying for £5 more i can have upto 60meg.

Surely that should not be there.

I have a feeling most can get it now, but they tell you no because they want to dangle the carrot under your nose.

My area was freshly upgraded in Oct last year so really it should be able to support the double speed already! I do have a superhub too. Calling up time I think! I want my 30 meg!
    Forum Member
    There is a difference between upgrading to the next tier and getting faster speeds on the same tier

Also the double speeds require a lot of capacity upgrades as you are potentially upgrading thousands of customers in one go
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    There is a difference between upgrading to the next tier and getting faster speeds on the same tier

Also the double speeds require a lot of capacity upgrades as you are potentially upgrading thousands of customers in one go

I see.

When you put it like that, it does make sense.

but if thats the case, why are virgin offering me 60meg for £5? shouldn't it be 30meg for £5 then?
    Forum Member
    but if thats the case, why are virgin offering me 60meg for £5? shouldn't it be 30meg for £5 then?
    Paid upgrades are planned in and they are always going to be lower numbers than the mass uplifts

The reason only the new tiers are offered as part of an upgrade, is purely down to simplicity for both customers and staff i.e. 'you've upgrade and this is now your speed' rather than having to explain why you can't upgrade to the speed you've seen advertised

Same as if you go for the Essential Collection, you will always get L 30Mbit with that
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    Paid upgrades are planned in and they are always going to be lower numbers than the mass uplifts

The reason only the new tiers are offered as part of an upgrade, is purely down to simplicity for both customers and staff i.e. 'you've upgrade and this is now your speed' rather than having to explain why you can't upgrade to the speed you've seen advertised

Same as if you go for the Essential Collection, you will always get L 30Mbit with that

gotcha.

it is kinda tempting... £5 more.... 6x my speed now... it's a no brainier really.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gotcha.

it is kinda tempting... £5 more.... 6x my speed now... it's a no brainier really.

I didn't pay any upgrade fee for the 100mb upgrade. Surely it's not "free" if you are paying an upgrade fee!
    Forum Member
    Tried again and was told no, this was (apparently) conformed by the mates rates team, my understanding of the mates rates is that you can the triple XL pack (XL phone, XL TV and XL broadband) for half price, this means that there are folk out there that are paying less and have the 60Mb service......

U seem to be getting stubborn customer service reps. Very poor customer service and they are blatantly lying to u, I can assure u that I have mates rates applied to my account and the rep I spoke to said that "it is more difficult to upgrade ur package because you are on mates rates but im looking to see if I can manage it" he then came back on and said that it was done. The key is persistence it took me 3 times over the space of a couple of weeks to actually get someone to say yeah u can actually have it. Basically saying the people before were liars and lazy B's thats how I feel personally when things like this happen, really how difficult can it be to give someone an upgrade? If I was in their position I would try and give every person that called me what they asked for if it was physically possible to do so!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U seem to be getting stubborn customer service reps. Very poor customer service and they are blatantly lying to u, I can assure u that I have mates rates applied to my account and the rep I spoke to said that "it is more difficult to upgrade ur package because you are on mates rates but im looking to see if I can manage it" he then came back on and said that it was done. The key is persistence it took me 3 times over the space of a couple of weeks to actually get someone to say yeah u can actually have it. Basically saying the people before were liars and lazy B's thats how I feel personally when things like this happen, really how difficult can it be to give someone an upgrade? If I was in their position I would try and give every person that called me what they asked for if it was physically possible to do so!

I ended up emailing the CEOs office thee - the upshot of the callback is that we are getting a superhub fitted, migrated to 100Mb for no additional money, no install charges no extra money, and I've kept my mates rates discount:D
    Forum Member
    I ended up emailing the CEOs office thee - the upshot of the callback is that we are getting a superhub fitted, migrated to 100Mb for no additional money, no install charges no extra money, and I've kept my mates rates discount:D

I'm happy for u, sorry for the time long reply! How's the upgrade treating u? It's just really frustrating not only getting told no, when u know its possible but the fact they blatantly lie to u! Clearly it can be done with mates rates u as a customer wanting a service that's physically available to u should not require CEO intervention to get it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy for u, sorry for the time long reply! How's the upgrade treating u? It's just really frustrating not only getting told no, when u know its possible but the fact they blatantly lie to u! Clearly it can be done with mates rates u as a customer wanting a service that's physically available to u should not require CEO intervention to get it!

But now I find out I'm on an 18 month contract!!!! I asked 2 or 3 times whether I was tied into a contract and was advised no:mad: