Options

People who close bathroom doors when nobody is in there

mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
I know you can just knock but does this annoy anyone else...why not just leave the door on the jar?? :mad:

Comments

• Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    deleted ....read it wrong :o
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I close and lock the bathroom door when there's nobody in the house..it's just what I always do
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just habit.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol I've never heard the "on the jar" expression before. That's way cooler than just saying "ajar".

I have no shame to an extent, I'll leave the door open when I'm home alone - or if it's just my mom and I. If my dad or brother, or any other male persons are around - I am closing and locking that door.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My stairs directly face my bathroom and a toilet isn't an attractive thing to be facing you head on once you have climbed the stairs - not to mention it is a flat so my bathroom is on the same floor as every other room in the home. Whether in it or not, I still like my bathroom to be half-private.

Then there is the heating factor at this time of year; open doors waste energy.

Edit: I see most of the replies are still missing the OP's point. He isn't asking if you leave your bathroom door open when you're using it, he is complaining about people shutting bathroom doors when there is no one using them :p
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    Is it really a problem? Sure, I've tried to go into a bathroom when someone is in there, but obviously it is locked so I can't open the door and so just wait. Not sure what the big deal is. I certainly wouldn't want to keep the door open whenever it is not in use. Looks awful!
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mizhog wrote: »
    I know you can just knock but does this annoy anyone else...why not just leave the door on the jar?? :mad:
    I know exactly what you mean. I'm trying to establish a 'code' with my wife whereby if either of us is in the bathroom, fully close the door. If we're not, leave it open. (We have kids, so it doesn't have a lock.) That way there's no ambiguity, no need to knock, no loitering around listening for signs of activity and no need for that un-dignified shout of "I'm in here !". Open means free, closed means occupied.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    We always keep the bathroom door shut because we have a very nosy greedy dog who would eat the contents of the bin in a heart beat. Before we got him we would leave the door slightly 'on the jar' (I really like that phrase!) cos its easier to know if someone's in there or not.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lock mine :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    mizhog wrote: »

Okay Mizhog, how long had you been standing outside the bathroom door before realising it was empty? Did you do the 'bursting for a pee pee dance'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always close doors, I wasn't born in Barcelona!
  • Options
    Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What annoys me even more is when somebody is in there but doesn't close the door and leaves a slight gap!

My brother does it in the mornings when peeing/putting gel in his hair and every single morning without fail I will push the door open to go in there and the door will hit him, followed by a chorus of "WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU DOING?!?!" from him and "WHY CAN YOU NOT USE THE LOCK?!?" from me.
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quicker and far less embarrassing to stick to the code - if it's shut someone's in there, if its open a couple of inches it's free. Always do that in my parent's house.

Of course in my house, alone, who needs doors?!
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our landing is so small, we have to close the bathroom door for fear of walking into it and knocking ourselves backwards down the stairs to our death.
  • Options
    J4ckieBr0wnJ4ckieBr0wn Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a problem in our house as the bathroom door has frosted glass, so, although you can't see what the person is doing, you can see that someone is in there :)
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our new house has got 3 toilets, which is a bit excessive for 2 people but at least if we both have a dodgy curry there'll be one free
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    What annoys me even more is when somebody is in there but doesn't close the door and leaves a slight gap!

My brother does it in the mornings when peeing/putting gel in his hair and every single morning without fail I will push the door open to go in there and the door will hit him, followed by a chorus of "WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU DOING?!?!" from him and "WHY CAN YOU NOT USE THE LOCK?!?" from me.

I'd just go in and start running the shower and pottering aorund. He'd soon shape up.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    It's quicker and far less embarrassing to stick to the code - if it's shut someone's in there, if its open a couple of inches it's free. Always do that in my parent's house.

Of course in my house, alone, who needs doors?!

You don't want to stick to the code after a gentleman has completed his morning visit. Even with the window open and vigorous use of the febreze, I find it best to shut the door:o
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try not to leave doors ajar because if I go out and a fire starts open doors will only help it along.
  • Options
    j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand this thread, but anyway I live alone and my bathroom door is always open, even when I'm having a bath/shower, If I have family or friends who I don't have sex with then I close the door.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I try not to leave doors ajar because if I go out and a fire starts open doors will only help it along.

Fires always start in the bathroom:D
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always leave the bathroom door slightly ajar when empty for ventilation purposes. Helps rid the condensation after a shower or bath.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    lol I've never heard the "on the jar" expression before. That's way cooler than just saying "ajar".

:D:D same here!
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Fires always start in the bathroom:D
    You can't count on them to stop there so I don't make an exception.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    :D:D same here!

Great expression! I remember first coming across it in the Pickwick Papers and deciding it was much better than "ajar"!
    'I was there,' resumed Mrs. Cluppins, 'unbeknown to Mrs. Bardell; I had been out with a little basket, gentlemen, to buy three pound of red kidney pertaties, which was three pound tuppence ha'penny, when I see Mrs. Bardell's street door on the jar.'

'On the what?' exclaimed the little judge.

'Partly open, my Lord,' said Serjeant Snubbin.

'She said on the jar,' said the little judge, with a cunning look."