Options

Moving back home and finding a job

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
Forum Member
A bit of background info:
I moved to London nearly five years ago, interned at magazines (fashion mainly) and ended up in publishing which I love. I also do a bit of freelance writing, although it's just a side hobby, and not enough to live on alone. I'm now going to be moving back to Newcastle due to family circumstances at the end of July, and so I'll be looking for work and don't really know where to start.

Obviously I have a lot of transferable skills and experience like copywriting, PR, researching, good use of some design programmes etc. but I'm struggling to find anything in the North East where I can apply. I've found a few creative agencies, and I know that Bauer media and a few fashion/clothing companies like Berghaus and Barbour are based there, but there isn't any active vacancies I'm experienced enough for or in my field.

So two questions really. Firstly, I'm stuck between applying for advertised jobs that I'm not qualified/experienced for or just sending a CV with an enquiry. I've been advised to apply for any job within certain companies so I get a foot in the door, and on the chance that they consider me, but then others say that applying for a job that I'm not suited for will look bad if I'm rejected and another, more suitable role comes up. Am I better off just applying on spec? I don't want to miss out on applying for the few advertised jobs going just in case they do work out, but I don't want to send inappropriate applications that might look bad in the long run.

Secondly, when should I apply? I can't move from London before the 25th July, and I'd like to have things sorted before I go, but I don't want to apply too early and have to turn down a job because of timing (I know, even being offered a job at all is wishful thinking!)

Sorry this is so basic! I've never gone through applying for jobs or the interview process or anything like that before, as I was pretty much offered one internship/job after another when I came to London, so I'm pretty much stuck now!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you are in the industry already can't you put out some feelers or get some recomendations from the company you are with.

Newcastle is quite vibrant at the moment. I would just put out your CV to companies in the same field there.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    As you are in the industry already can't you put out some feelers or get some recomendations from the company you are with.

Newcastle is quite vibrant at the moment. I would just put out your CV to companies in the same field there.

It's not! It's an unemployment black spot!

OP see if any companies have certain links. Start applying now - if you have to travel for interview, will that be OK? Most companies expect a 1 month notice period, so applying now will mean employment for the end of July.

Also look at contacts your company might have for the Northeast region, cold call them explain you're moving. Gateshead, Durham, Sunderland, potentially Teeside and Northumberland dependant on location, are all commutable distances.

Edit: I'll PM you, I'm on the job hunt myself, and have seen a few jobs in PR this morning.