Options

Under The Dome Season 1 - UK Pace

Comments

• Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little confused. You know last week when the 'outsiders' fired that bomb in the hope that it will smash the dome, but instead it obliterated the other side, do we know how many 'outsider' were killed by the bomb? How many miles does the damage extend to? How did the rain penetrate the dome and couldn't it be acid rain due to the aftermath of a nuclear warhead? Did I notice that when it rained the otherside looked ok again? It seems as though it can get breezy under the dome because I have noticed hair being wind swept.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    I'm a little confused. You know last week when the 'outsiders' fired that bomb in the hope that it will smash the dome, but instead it obliterated the other side, do we know how many 'outsider' were killed by the bomb? How many miles does the damage extend to? How did the rain penetrate the dome and couldn't it be acid rain due to the aftermath of a nuclear warhead? Did I notice that when it rained the otherside looked ok again? It seems as though it can get breezy under the dome because I have noticed hair being wind swept.

The army had already evacuated the area outside the dome, so I guess we are supposed to believe there were no casualties. But I would have liked to see how exactly they carried out this evacuation, considering how difficult it is to get people to leave their homes even when in imminent danger from a flood or wildfire. ( I am assuming they didn't tell people they were going to drop a bomb on the area!) Yes, the outside looked ok when it was raining but presumably that was in the other direction from where the bomb went off. The rain in this episode was coming from within the dome, but they did show in a previous episode that water could penetrate the dome, yes. I don't think the bomb was a nuke, was it?
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I love this series and it's a lot better then the book
    I enjoy each episode
    It's a lot better then expected as novels made into tv/movies tend not to be as good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Or just enjoy the nonsense...I do.
    njp wrote: »
    It did. Though perhaps only in the first episode. There was also a scene where one of the domees prevented a firetruck from crashing into the dome by standing in the road in front of it, forcing it to skid to a halt. An angry fireman then jumped out to remonstrate and promptly faceplanted the dome.

Of course, if the dome has display capabilities, then I suppose its controllers could choose exactly what images it presents, both to those inside, and to those outside.

Nothing beats overthinking enjoyably trash TV, in my opinion!

its not nonsense ir trash
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    The army had already evacuated the area outside the dome, so I guess we are supposed to believe there were no casualties. But I would have liked to see how exactly they carried out this evacuation, considering how difficult it is to get people to leave their homes even when in imminent danger from a flood or wildfire. ( I am assuming they didn't tell people they were going to drop a bomb on the area!) Yes, the outside looked ok when it was raining but presumably that was in the other direction from where the bomb went off. The rain in this episode was coming from within the dome, but they did show in a previous episode that water could penetrate the dome, yes. I don't think the bomb was a nuke, was it?

Thank you for those explanations. I thought that it was only a nuke that could cause the devastating effects that we saw. Stephen King has alluded to the threat of nuclear war/bombs in other stories of his. This may be due to fact that when he started writing the Cold War was at its peak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with Monday night's episode and I am still enjoying it, but getting a little bit confused.

Did anybody else think it was strange that just as the fighting and looting reached its peak, it started to rain? It seemed to me (although I'm probably barking up the wrong tree completely) that somebody outside was controlling things and decided to make it rain so that it would calm people down.

Anyway, surely water is only one of their problems? If they're already running out of medical supplies, surely food shortages can't be far behind? What happens then?

And I didn't understand how the two teenagers who keep having their fits (sorry, I'm useless with names) started up electricity by them both touching the dome at the same time :confused:

Not sure about the creepy combo of Junior and his father either, they are both very odd.

Other than that I am enjoying it and it is keeping my interest, although as it's based on a Stephen King book I'm really hoping it doesn't turn too creepy as horror is not my thing :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with Monday night's episode and I am still enjoying it, but getting a little bit confused.

Did anybody else think it was strange that just as the fighting and looting reached its peak, it started to rain? It seemed to me (although I'm probably barking up the wrong tree completely) that somebody outside was controlling things and decided to make it rain so that it would calm people down.

Anyway, surely water is only one of their problems? If they're already running out of medical supplies, surely food shortages can't be far behind? What happens then?

And I didn't understand how the two teenagers who keep having their fits (sorry, I'm useless with names) started up electricity by them both touching the dome at the same time :confused:

Not sure about the creepy combo of Junior and his father either, they are both very odd.

Other than that I am enjoying it and it is keeping my interest, although as it's based on a Stephen King book I'm really hoping it doesn't turn too creepy as horror is not my thing :)
    The teenagers are linked to the dome
    remember the odd fits that they had about the stars?
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    its not nonsense ir trash

Can this really get any worse - I expect so and will continue to watch it to the end just for self-punishment. The fact that it is on Ch5 is of course indicative of what we should expect just as was the showing of the Dallas remake which was also dire but in a different way.:D
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit confused as to why Big Jim took Angie to his house instead of the clinic and what was the agreement he made with her towards the end.

When I saw the rain I started to think that maybe an experiment is being carried out on Chesters Mill.
    I know the rain provided the water they needed but everyone seemed to calm down then even the ones who were looting.

Didn't like the scene in the cafe with Rose dying. I had thought that junior was going to appear and save Angie and become the hero of the hour.

What will become of Barbie and Julia and will she find out he was the one who killed her husband.
  • Options
    Somerset BoySomerset Boy Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the bomb was a nuke, was it?

I.think you're right, I think Barbie said it was a MOAB (Mother of all Bombs), which he said was the largest bomb for conventional weapons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    julie2009 wrote: »
    Bit confused as to why Big Jim took Angie to his house instead of the clinic and what was the agreement he made with her towards the end.

Because he doesn't want her to tell anyone about Junior keeping her prisoner in the fallout shelter. The agreement was basically that she would keep quiet about that and he will give her anything she wants.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    julie2009 wrote: »
    What will become of Barbie and Julia and will she find out he was the one who killed her husband.

I think that's inevitable. You could see that kiss in the rain coming a mile off... pretty predictable really that they'll end up in love before she finally works out he killed her hubby. I kinda saw that happening as early as episode 1.
    Enjoyable enough episode, tho as mentioned in a previous post the timing of the rain was laughable. And why on earth did the powers that be allow this situation to occur? Where are the 'heads around the table'? Surely in a monumental situation like being trapped under a strange dome they'd have plans for retaining water & food and start some kind of ration system from the word go? Same for petrol too, and oil... in fact anything they would require from outside the dome. Doesn't make sense that they're just bumbling along and not even thinking long term.
    As for the rain, I just felt sorry for poor Angie, she's only just emerged from a soaking wet bunker and now she's gotten drenched yet again :D I think a drinking game is in the making, one bottle everytime Angie gets a soaking :p
    The acting was slightly sub-par this week too... the hot Sherrif's reaction to Barbie almost killing the guy in the alleyway was hilarious, "Are you with me on this?" delivered in a monotone with a dead eyed gaze. Ouch, must do better.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    So why have they suddenly started looting and panic-buying? Did it take them that long to realise or to work out that there wouldn't be a steady supply of food and petrol and medicine being delivered to the shops?
    Until now they assumed someone outside would make the dome go away, and then they'd be all embarrassed about having looted. Now they realise that the people outside aren't controlling it, can't switch it off, and can't even destroy it. Further, that the people outside don't actually care what happens to the people inside and would happily have killed them if it meant destroying the dome. Plus it's probably only about now that they are actually starting to run out of things. It's one thing to know you have finite food, and another to be hungry.

The rain alleviated the water problem. What's more, it led some of them to think that they were being looked after by the dome itself. The dome seems to inspire near-religious feelings.

(I'm not sure if those feelings are justified. The programme usually has a character give a scientific explanation for events, eg the butterflies being confused by electromagnetic affects. The explanation for the rain seemed a bit of stretch, though, and it's even harder to explain the kids having fits and talking about blue stars.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The teenagers are linked to the dome
    remember the odd fits that they had about the stars?

Oh yes, I remember it, but it doesn't mean I understand it!!! ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Watched this so far but it's just getting silly, to the point where I keep asking myself why I am watching it. I guess there is hope it may get better. The latest episode was just plain daft, the delivery truck driving round at 90mph with a guy they don't know by now in it which destroyed the water tower was ridiculous. Not long after Barbie (who would go by that name?!) is wondering around in the middle of the road in the dark and doesn't notice a car pull up behind him!

Angie being released, getting lost in the woods and caught yet again then managing to avoid every single person in the place apart from the woman who obviously was going to end up dead shortly after is just bonkers.

Even if they did drop the MOAB on it, you would think someone would turn up to check what happened! And none of them have thought to investigate the potential source until now with the woman and her Yagi!

Wonder when the food will run out and they start to eat each other, and why had none of them thought about catching fish for food before they all died?
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    RMorgan wrote: »
    Watched this so far but it's just getting silly, to the point where I keep asking myself why I am watching it. I guess there is hope it may get better. The latest episode was just plain daft, the delivery truck driving round at 90mph with a guy they don't know by now in it which destroyed the water tower was ridiculous. Not long after Barbie (who would go by that name?!) is wondering around in the middle of the road in the dark and doesn't notice a car pull up behind him!

Angie being released, getting lost in the woods and caught yet again then managing to avoid every single person in the place apart from the woman who obviously was going to end up dead shortly after is just bonkers.

Even if they did drop the MOAB on it, you would think someone would turn up to check what happened! And none of them have thought to investigate the potential source until now with the woman and her Yagi!

Wonder when the food will run out and they start to eat each other, and why had none of them thought about catching fish for food before they all died?
    Put like that it is a bit silly {the Water Riot}......But it's all great fun to watch.

Then it Rains.:eek::confused::cool::D
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love si fi dramas like this!- the plan is to just go with the flow and not question too much into logistics otherwise you spoil it for yourselves :D

I'm enjoying it -I think that Junior is the strangest one and I've not understood too much into what his father has been doing so bad that he had to kill the reverend but I'm sure il catch up in time!
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ Junior seems like two people. Half the time he's growing into a hero and doing things that are brave and admirable, the other half he's locking up girls in his bunker. I guess it's good that the characters are mixed, but I'm not sure this really works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    I love si fi dramas like this!- the plan is to just go with the flow and not question too much into logistics otherwise you spoil it for yourselves :D

I'm enjoying it -I think that Junior is the strangest one and I've not understood too much into what his father has been doing so bad that he had to kill the reverend but I'm sure il catch up in time!

Juniors dad and the rev are somehow responsible for creating the dome, but we don't know how yet or why. Minor detail, lack of oxygen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minor detail, lack of oxygen?

Water can get through the dome, so oxygen would be able to.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught the first two blah eps and kept meaning to catch-up on the rest but everytime I think of doing so I am overcome by a feeling of "Do I reeeally have to?" and so I don`t bother.

Five have themselves another stiff here to add to their poor buying record for US imports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's an excellent series and loads better then the walking dead, maybe people don't think about tech when starving and trapped
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still watching and enjoying the programme...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member

But what about food supplies when they run out?
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So can heat radiation otherwise they would all be freezing. So why did the radiated heat from the bomb blast not get through and fry them?