Options

Inside No. 9 - BBC 2

Comments

• Options
    looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to ask the same question again which me and one other poster asked.....

The extra red button episode 'The Inventors'.
    Did anybody actually see it?

I'm a bit puzzled because nobody else in the thread has even mentioned it to say that they watched it, let alone to say what they thought of it.
    Camino wrote: »
    Google Inside No 9 Inventors and it comes up, its not great though its like a click through picture sequence thing!
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    http://www.insideno9extra.co.uk/

I was disappointed with what I watched :(

Haven't watched it myself yet
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    looby383x wrote: »
    Haven't watched it myself yet

Theres a lot of clicking to do ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I need to ask the same question again which me and one other poster asked.....

The extra red button episode 'The Inventors'.
    Did anybody actually see it?

I'm a bit puzzled because nobody else in the thread has even mentioned it to say that they watched it, let alone to say what they thought of it.

I watched it.

Here is the link..

Edit. Oopss Just seen the above post.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I nearly shite myself watching that last night :blush: I'm not normally a scardey cat but this was spot on.

Brilliant episode to end on tho and will miss this each week. I have loved every episode.

Looking forward to seeing Reece Shearsmith in a new drama called The Widower (I think that is the title) What a brilliant actor.

He was excellent in the film A Field in England.
    He was instrumental in creating 'that' incredible scene. If you don't know what scene I'm talking about watch the film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it.

Here is the link..

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a watch later.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Genuinely creepy, especially at the end (hands up who's gonna have nightmares...! :o)
    Are you a child? Who would possibly have nightmares over that?
    AA2009 wrote: »
    I was kind of hoping for a twist where the old man would say "actually, you were nice to me" to the nice girl and team up with her to kill the other three. Having her actually end up in that horrible situation felt like the most obvious ending in a way given how the rest of the episodes have gone. I liked the atmosphere and build-up.
    Same here. It wasn't the most interesting episode but had some good jokes and was running along nicely until it ended abruptly.
    I get that they want you to imagine for yourself how it pans out but it would have been nice if they put a twist in - although again I know they said the series wasn't all about twists.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the last two episodes, they were great! Better than the middle two. Blimey that last one was DARK. I expected a last second reprieve, maybe he'd keel over dead before he got to her or something. Nope. Holy cr*p.

Loved it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barneyb wrote: »
    Same here....it was all downhill from the first episode....tonight's one was just.....weird...

That's a shame, I thought they were *all* good in their own way, but the middle two were the weakest. I used to like Adam Deacon, but the man can't act. He just does the same 'attitude' character over and over and over and over and over and over and over...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was excellent in the film A Field in England.
    He was instrumental in creating 'that' incredible scene. If you don't know what scene I'm talking about watch the film.

Thanks I will have a look on the net for that as I have only just 'found' Reece. Like I said I cannot wait for The Widower, the clip of him crying then straight to smile sends a chill down my spine.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just to want to say that I enjoyed all six episodes with A Quiet Night In easily my favourite with Tom And Geri probably the least enjoyable but still good.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was disappointed with what I watched :(
    Me too. I didn't like the style of it. It was like an amateurish high-school video project.

According to the BBC "We wanted to explore new ways of telling stories digitally..."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    Me too. I didn't like the style of it. It was like an amateurish high-school video project.

According to the BBC "We wanted to explore new ways of telling stories digitally..."

They failed on that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    Just watched the last two episodes, they were great! Better than the middle two. Blimey that last one was DARK. I expected a last second reprieve, maybe he'd keel over dead before he got to her or something. Nope. Holy cr*p.

Loved it.

That wasn't dark. We hardly knew much about the girl. It was pretty much a straight Hammer horror story.
    A couple of the previous episodes had a bit of darkness to them, but not this one.

Even though I enjoyed the last episode, the balloon girl story which I wasn't that keen on had more touches of darkness than this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That wasn't dark. We hardly knew much about the girl. It was pretty much a straight Hammer horror story.
    A couple of the previous episodes had a bit of darkness to them, but not this one.

Even though I enjoyed the last episode, the balloon girl story which I wasn't that keen on had more touches of darkness than this.

I really like the balloon episode even tho not many did. Not really sure about the last one.

Did love some great tv for a change. I will miss them.
  • Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks I will have a look on the net for that as I have only just 'found' Reece. Like I said I cannot wait for The Widower, the clip of him crying then straight to smile sends a chill down my spine.

Oh I found Reece quite a while ago! ;-)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This episode had plenty of darkness. Sometimes I was struggling to see what was happening.:D

Agree about it being a straight Hammer Horror tale. Presumably Pemberton and Shearsmith are fans.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    This episode had plenty of darkness. Sometimes I was struggling to see what was happening.:D

Agree about it being a straight Hammer Horror tale. Presumably Pemberton and Shearsmith are fans.

As a fan of Reece and Steve since the first series of the League of Gentlemen, I've been waiting for them to do an episode like this for a long time and it didn't disappoint!

It's a bit annoying that everyone seemed to be waiting for a big twist with each episode, and so was peeved when there wasn't one. It wasn't needed for the last episode. What they were going for at the end was straight horror!
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the remaining two episodes.

The babysitter story took the plot of the underrated 2009 film 'The House Of The Devil', one of the best horrors l have seen in recent years!

Also, did anyone else spotted the reference to Hammer's 'The Devil Rides Out' when Reece Shearsmith blurted out 'the goat of Mendes, it's the Devil himself'? Christopher Lee said the same words in the Hammer classic!

A mixed bag of a series but a very enjoyable one!
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed the series - and think it was well written and well performed - but I don't remember it being particularly funny. Which is a problem for a comedy series. There were funny moments but, on the whole, it was just like a well produced update of Tales of the Unexpected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »

Yes I think all the League of Gentlemen people are into their horror. Especially Mark Gatiss. I believe that old horror films were the inspiration behind The League of Gentlemen.
    Most of what they do usually has some horror undercurrent going on.

I did like this, but I think the main problem with it was that the story was quite weak. But it was still good for what it was.

For anyone who particularly enjoyed the last episode of the series, Jeremy Dyson, the least famous of The League of Gentlemen team, made a short film called 'The Guides' in 2002 in which Mark Gatiss starred.
    It was shown on TV a few years ago.
    It was very much like this last episode in that it was weak in story, but made up for it with atmosphere.
    Like this last episode of Inside Number 9 it was a straightforward story where the story is as basic as somebody going somewhere spooky, and then the ghosts or monsters simply get them. That's your story:D

So yes, I'd recommend you give 'The Guides' a look. I know that some of you will enjoy it. Especially if you're a League of Gentlemen or a horror fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've enjoyed the series - and think it was well written and well performed - but I don't remember it being particularly funny. Which is a problem for a comedy series. There were funny moments but, on the whole, it was just like a well produced update of Tales of the Unexpected.

Funnily enough I don't always mind that. All that really bothers me is if something is supposed to be a comedy and is not as funny as it thinks it is.

I'm perfectly fine with comedy that isn't hilarious, as long as it's confident in what it is, isn't trying to make out that it's funnier than it is like some lightweight TV sitcom, and that it has other things going for it which don't rely on belly laughs.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed them all, some much more than others though. I think it's testament to the series that so many people in this thread have a different favourite episode. For me I'd say

The tramp episode
    The silent one
    Sardines
    The last episode
    The Macbeth one
    The balloon one.

Interestingly I found the tramp one the least funny and the balloon one was possibly the funniest. For me it was never meant to be an out and out comedy though.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Have to say i loved this, Even the weakest episode of the 6 was much better than anything on TV these days. Can't wait for the second series....Hopefully people will just enjoy them for what they are now they know a twist is not always coming up

With regards to it being funny, There was definitely some laugh out loud moments in there at times.
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those in the area this Thursday, both Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith will be signing copies of the Inside No. 9 dvd at HMV Oxford Street, London from 5.30pm to 6.30pm.

For more information:-

http://www.hmv.com/store-events/inside-no-9
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Have to say i loved this, Even the weakest episode of the 6 was much better than anything on TV these days. Can't wait for the second series....Hopefully people will just enjoy them for what they are now they know a twist is not always coming up

With regards to it being funny, There was definitely some laugh out loud moments in there at times.
    The scene under the bed with the air leaking out of the blow-up doll. :D