What happened to cartons of milk ?

squeekycheekssqueekycheeks Posts: 150
Forum Member
Just wondering, as you do, why isn't milk supplied in cartons anymore ? At one time , it was all cartons, but now its only supplied in the plastic bottles.

And does anyone remember when fabric conditioner was supplied in cartons ?

Oh the times I used to put it in the fridge mistaking it for the milk, oh how we laughed......

Comments

• FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Looks in fridge.

Sees milk carton.

Scratches head. :confused:
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Looks in fridge.

Sees milk carton.

Scratches head. :confused:

Whose brand/which shop is that?
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're still around!

I only drink UHT milk, so I see cartons a lot.
    lemoncurd wrote: »

Most Supermarkets Own Branded UHT, Lactofree, Alpro…
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »

Waitrose :cool:
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Marks & Sparks sell milk in cartons, or was I imaging them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen an actual cardboard milk carton in ages, at least not for just plain milk.

They are still popular for flavoured milk though.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Milk carton used to be evil things. Flaps out and then pull out. Result, spilt milk everywhere.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flaps out and then pull out. Result, spilt milk everywhere.

Fnarr fnarr. Yakk yakk.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why they got rid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-p8YpR7rJc

:D:D:D
  • squeekycheekssqueekycheeks Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Milk carton used to be evil things. Flaps out and then pull out. Result, spilt milk everywhere.

Yes I agree ! Milk cartons were the devils work ...
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member

Lo I will go with that only every used that when we had UHT milk when abroad
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Just wondering, as you do, why isn't milk supplied in cartons anymore ? At one time , it was all cartons, but now its only supplied in the plastic bottles.

And does anyone remember when fabric conditioner was supplied in cartons ?

Oh the times I used to put it in the fridge mistaking it for the milk, oh how we laughed......

Probably cost.

If a dairy plant uses cartons, it'll have to buy in the cartons from a packaging supplier. In addition to the material costs, there's transport costs, the cost of additional handling, storage etc.

If they go down the plastic bottle route, they can blow-mould the bottles on-site, so only need to buy in the bulk raw material (probably in pellet or powder form). The blow-moulding operation will feed directly onto the filling line so the bottles are made to order, and don't have to be stored and handled multiple times. Milk isn't a high value product so every saving is worthwhile.
  • squeekycheekssqueekycheeks Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Thankyou coughthecat, I did think maybe that cost was a factor. Plus the plastic bottle are much more user friendly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our fridge currently has three cartons of milk in it. Tesco UHT. I'm glad they have the screw cap on them, as Poppy said the old style ones were evil things to open.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some of them came with a perforated bit that you could just rip of and make a nice spout for pouring. It normally meant having to take a knife to it or risk ripping off a finger nail trying to tear along the line :(
    Forum Member
    Our fridge currently has three cartons of milk in it. Tesco UHT. I'm glad they have the screw cap on them, as Poppy said the old style ones were evil things to open.
    So does the Waitrose one, but call me mean because eventually I still open it the old fashioned way to get that last drop of milk out of it. :blush:
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    Most Supermarkets Own Branded UHT, Lactofree, Alpro…

Ah, OK. I presumed we were talking regular fresh milk.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Fnarr fnarr. Yakk yakk.
    :D

Most of the cartons have a screw top now
    Forum Member

None of Waitrose's fresh milk comes in cartons any more:
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse/Groceries/Dairy/Fresh_Milk
    The only things that do are the speciality products like Lactofree and Almond milk, and even they are more like the fruit-juice Tetrapaks with plastic spouts than the traditional glued Tetrablocks.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody wanted to drink out of them anymore after this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqXVx3sBOk
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My milk comes in bottles delivered to my doorstep. Support local business is my preferred practice. The goats milk I buy for my husband comes in a carton.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh you!!! :cool::D
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    Some of them came with a perforated bit that you could just rip of and make a nice spout for pouring. It normally meant having to take a knife to it or risk ripping off a finger nail trying to tear along the line :(

Even the cartons of chopped tomatoes still have the perforated fold-out edge and it still never tears easily. I always end up using scissors.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I've currently got about ten cartons of long life milk (emergency milk!) in my fridge.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    My milk comes in bottles delivered to my doorstep. Support local business is my preferred practice. The goats milk I buy for my husband comes in a carton.

My milk comes in bottles and left on my doorstep as well
    Local farm and dairy, better milk than supermarket milk.