Rik Mayall RIP

Comments

• General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    It's a shame because from what I've seen of him in interviews (including that one on YouTube with that arsehole David Letterman) he came across as quite a nice chap.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    When I first heard the news I couldn't quite believe it ..... Spent an hour or so Googling "Young Ones" and "Bottom" .... and now I've been asked to attend my local police station for questioning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a real shame Rik is no longer here. Cant believe when Mr. Gilberts series gets released there wont be any more. I only say Gilbert as cant remember his name and im too lazy to google it.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always found Rik devastatingly handsome in a devilish way. ;-)

My own Dad recently passed away, so I know how his kids are feeling. RIP Rik.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Dammit, RIP Rik Mayall, just find out, even he passed away on my birthday :(

There is a episode of Bottom: Gas on BBC2 at 10.30pm tonight. Very funny episode.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    Brilliant couple of shows on BBC2 tonight, although, I would've loved to have seen more. Can't wait to see a tribute show.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always found him way too OTT
    Better when he toned it down in New Statesman
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Always found him way too OTT
    Better when he toned it down in New Statesman

I loved the New Statesman. Dark and satirical and very funny. Also, for me, the added bonus that he was devilishly attractive in it ( he usually hid his good looks very well.). I understand that ITV is showing an episode of The New Statesman next weekend ( and an episode of Rik Mayall Presents).
    Anyone with a spare 15 minutes should check out the 1988 Comic Relief special of The New Statesman -remember when Comic Relief was funny? I remember being particularly thrilled that an ITV programme was being shown on the BBC , and the bit where he morphs into Rick is just lovely.

http://youtu.be/rg8wUf8DihU
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,185
    Forum Member
    Has anyone seen Remember Me? a film starring Rik, Robert Lindsay and Imelda Staunton?only available on video on Amazon and not down on Rik's wikipedia page
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Today marks a week since Rik's death and I'm still in bits over it. He was truly one of my heroes. Someone who I adored from childhood, he was also a lovely lovely man and I want people to know that so I wrote about my meetings with him. Please have a read :)

http://spamvicious.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/rik-mayall-1958-2014/
  • nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhh Sam just read your link, that's lovely
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Today marks a week since Rik's death and I'm still in bits over it. He was truly one of my heroes. Someone who I adored from childhood, he was also a lovely lovely man and I want people to know that so I wrote about my meetings with him. Please have a read :)

That's lovely, made me smile and feel sad at the same time. Hard to take it in that he's gone, like you I grew up in the 80s where he was a regular on the tv, I so wanted an imaginary friend like him in Drop Dead Fred!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dont think its very often when you get a celeb is down to earth like us normal people are but he had a amazing career & did some good films and it didnt change him.

He always seemed the nicest of celebs which is a very rare thing indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    I loved the New Statesman. Dark and satirical and very funny. Also, for me, the added bonus that he was devilishly attractive in it ( he usually hid his good looks very well.). I understand that ITV is showing an episode of The New Statesman next weekend ( and an episode of Rik Mayall Presents).
    Anyone with a spare 15 minutes should check out the 1988 Comic Relief special of The New Statesman -remember when Comic Relief was funny? I remember being particularly thrilled that an ITV programme was being shown on the BBC , and the bit where he morphs into Rick is just lovely.

http://youtu.be/rg8wUf8DihU

I cant believe how far Comic Relief has fallen over the years. It seems its all about singing these days.

The first one in the studio was ace when Ross, henry & Griff were sitting in the same bed.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petition to place a memorial bench as close as possible to the location where the Bottom title credits were filmed.

1500 hundred signatures so far and counting - 8,461 needed apparently (seems an arbitrary number but there you go!)

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/hammersmith-and-fulham-council-parks-at-hammersmith-fulham-council-place-a-memorial-bench-for-rik-mayall?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_target_tips
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That made me cry Sam it was beautiful,I hope you don't mind me tweeting the link to it x
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's wonderful writing Sam :)
  • JoJoJayJoJoJay Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Rik Mayall Presents' has been mentioned on various threads, particularly 'Dancing Queen'.
    STV are showing this ep on Sun night, 11pm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    That made me cry Sam it was beautiful,I hope you don't mind me tweeting the link to it x

Not at all, I'd love it if it somehow got back to his family, so they knew ho much he was loved.

Thanks for the comments guys.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, it made me cry too. Rik has definitely been added to my list of people I wish I'd met.:(
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to sound harsh but do people think he was fair to Stephen Fry. I agree Rik seemed like a nice guy but I'm not sure he ever forgave Stephen for abandoning him in Cell Mates. Is that really fair. There's a supposed quote from him in 2007 where he said 'you don't leave the trenches'. A bit harsh?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I don't want to sound harsh but do people think he was fair to Stephen Fry. I agree Rik seemed like a nice guy but I'm not sure he ever forgave Stephen for abandoning him in Cell Mates. Is that really fair. There's a supposed quote from him in 2007 where he said 'you don't leave the trenches'. A bit harsh?

He might not have been fully away of his condition at the time, but if you invest so much time and effort into something that has to be abandoned because somebody ran away, your immediate reaction is to be angry with them.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoJoJay wrote: »
    'Rik Mayall Presents' has been mentioned on various threads, particularly 'Dancing Queen'.
    STV are showing this ep on Sun night, 11pm.

Is this the one off he did with Helena Bonham Carter?

I really remember something he did with her, i was only little when i saw it.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently that quote was Riks reaction to the effect on the cast and crew involved in the play who were not as well placed as him to deal with the financial fallout of losing work. Stephens flit, for whatever good reason, had a negative impact for quite a few people.