Options

Watchdog - May 2014

Comments

• Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if the "mysteriously" was said tongue-in-cheek but the Portuguese guy was outed as a benefit fraudster.

Indeed it was ;-)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do people keep falling for these scams that require your card deals for a trial?

Once they have your details they can do what they want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who, or rather what is "Consumer Expert" as a job title?

Are they now pulling randoms off the supermarket aisles who seem to be doing a good job comparing washing powder?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm 12 months for the Tree Surgeon, not long enough IMO. And he is back being a tree surgeon. So no lesson learnt there.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG!! What would we do if Watchdog didn't exist?? :o Send them to the Middle East and Iraq.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a ponce this ofgen spokes person is.

I seriously doubt he will help things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a ponce this ofgen spokes person is.

I seriously doubt he will help things.

At least he is taking someone "steps" :D
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Ofgem guy is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could have done with bodyguards when they went to Coopers. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This Ofgem guy is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

i would get in touch with watchdog if you have one of those, they are a con
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if that lad had electrocuted himself would Watchdog had been to blame for setting him up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It always amazes me how these RTs care about their rights but never the rights of other people.

Total scum.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people keep falling for these scams that require your card deals for a trial?

I was wondering that too. I go through loads of supplements but if they're in capsule form I get them from reputable companies like Amazon and Holland and Barrett, both of which still sell Raspberry ketones. (I checked because I've bought them from both places in the past and I'd heard nothing of them being banned for one of the oddest reasons I've heard. If they're going to ban all supplements that are not tested on humans then that's most of them).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I was wondering that too. I go through loads of supplements but if they're in capsule form I get them from reputable companies like Amazon and Holland and Barrett, both of which still sell Raspberry ketones. (I checked because I've bought them from both places in the past and I'd heard nothing of them being banned for one of the oddest reasons I've heard. If they're going to ban all supplements that are not tested on humans then that's most of them).

It took me ages to get the guts up to shop on line. Even now I worry about orders going wrong and not getting a proper refund.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took me ages to get the guts up to shop on line. Even now I worry about orders going wrong and not getting a proper refund.

I made the mistake 5 or 6 years ago of signing up for a free ebay selling guide by not un-ticking a box, which resulted in a monthly charge that I noticed 3 months later (it was only £5 a month). Thankfully I used a credit card and they chased it up and got my money back. I'm a lot more careful now and if its not a well known retailer and I can't use paypal (for their buyer insurance) then I wont buy anything from any site, regardless of how good it sounds.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    IS Watchdog even important anymore? Hardly anyone watches it, its got very little bite or influence.

A single tweet is more damaging that the BBC's en masse irritating presenter pool

well it has achieved quite a bit with today's episode Harvey's, audi, pontins, a rouge trader in prison I doubt all these would have happened without the persistence of watchdog
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    well it has achieved quite a bit with today's episode Harvey's, audi, pontins, a rouge trader in prison I doubt all these would have happened without the persistence of watchdog

And the Citroen fault seems to have been around for some time but Watchdog prompted them into taking action. Long term faults like that always seem to be a case of 'when you are in hole, stopped digging' principle. Often I cannot understand the reluctance of the companies to accept responsibility especially with cars where a fault could lead to a serious accident which could in expensive legal actions against the company. Exposure on programmes like Watchdog perhaps reach senior people who had not been made aware of the scale of the problem.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "Posh young boy" was hilarious, I couldnt stop laughing hope hes back in the Autumn (not)
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The "Posh young boy" was hilarious, I couldnt stop laughing hope hes back in the Autumn (not)

He was pretty terrible and you could tell it was scripted really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    this program now is only for presenters or staff from bbc who did't want to move to media city Salford. I hate the way Anne Robinson complain about director/chairman of a big company and his wages. But she does't mind taking a big pay cheque from the bbc. I know all the companies and their owners who appear on the program are scum.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been posted many time, AR is on a huge contract from the Beeb & has to be paid, so they stuck her on WD.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

That wasn't really the point, the t&c's had buried in them a continuous payment authority, this is not standard practice.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    And the Citroen fault seems to have been around for some time but Watchdog prompted them into taking action. Long term faults like that always seem to be a case of 'when you are in hole, stopped digging' principle. Often I cannot understand the reluctance of the companies to accept responsibility especially with cars where a fault could lead to a serious accident which could in expensive legal actions against the company. Exposure on programmes like Watchdog perhaps reach senior people who had not been made aware of the scale of the problem.

If i had a Citroen I would be questioning why they are only paying 80% of the cost. It's either a design problem or not.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wtf, they all signed contracts they couldn't read, as they were in a foreign language, surely not ? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This water knob deserves to be named and shamed.