Options

Athletics 2014

Comments

• Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The schedules are pretty complicated. According to my TV guide for tomorrow the 07:30 show on ES2 is the morning session, then at 09:30 on ES1 is the Evening Session.

Hmmmmm......knowing Eurosport these may not be entirely accurate. We shall see I suppose
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live coverage without Eurosport detailed below ;-)

App link (you'll need to read this before watching anything): http://xtremisreaction.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/how-to-watch-the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-in-the-uk/
    Broadcast link: http://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/1237
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lake currently leads the heptathlon after 2 events...opened her high jump at 1.76 with one attempt...took three to clear 1.79 (!)...and has just done 1.94! :o

For the record, that's a World Heptathlon Junior Best!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morgan Lake - incredible performance in the High Jump. David Omeregie looked good in the hurdles as well.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a great documentary tonight on David Rudisha on BBC 4. So if you missed it I recommend you use the i-player and see it.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Perhaps Dwain should do us all a favour and pull out of the Euros as well to help the youth along.

Then again he earned the right to be selected by winning the National trials....

Is it bit worrying that he still manages to win despite being somewhat older?
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live coverage without Eurosport detailed below ;-)

Just watching Eurosport's transmission today - it's a single 2 hour highlights show with both the morning and the evening session, repeated several times. Not wanting to spoil it, but the standard in all the events is very high. And a real 70s-style 10,000 metres race to finish off with.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Then again he earned the right to be selected by winning the National trials....

Is it bit worrying that he still manages to win despite being somewhat older?
    It's worrying all right. He's closer to my age (40 plus) than the ages of our best young sprinters!! :D He seems to have some sort of hoodoo over our young sprinters. The only one I think who would beat him now is Dasaolu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching Eurosport's transmission today - it's a single 2 hour highlights show with both the morning and the evening session, repeated several times. Not wanting to spoil it, but the standard in all the events is very high. And a real 70s-style 10,000 metres race to finish off with.

Was nice to see some athletics over breakfast. Dina Asher Smith looked great in the - only the heats so could change but to me she looked more impressive than Whitney the ywhooung american girl who has run a bit quicker than her this year. Morgan lake going - I thought Rodriguez would beat her comfortably but looks like it's going to be close. The cuban has a very good javelin so it could come down to that.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very disappointed that the Eurosport programme only showed the heptathlon 200m and nothing of the other three events, particularly the HJ. But they found time to cover all five of the decathlon disciplines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the day one hep scores, Rodriguez hasn't had a good first day, and she could reduce her deficit by approx. 200 points (!) in the javelin. Barring disaster, the current top three will all make the podium, though not necessarily in the same order.

The USATF broadcast link I posted earlier was only good for yesterday, so here are the other links: http://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/cat/7
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5.90m for Morgan Lake in the LJ, she still leads by 142 points. Weather is very wet there and affecting performance.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    5.90m for Morgan Lake in the LJ, she still leads by 142 points. Weather is very wet there and affecting performance.

Looking good for Morgan. A javelin PB means she has a 9 second lead going into the 800m. Very much gold favourite now
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    There was a great documentary tonight on David Rudisha on BBC 4. So if you missed it I recommend you use the i-player and see it.

I second this. A great programme. 'The Godfather of Kenyan Running' (as he's known) Brother Colm O'Connell is certainly a very interesting character. :)
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught up with Eurosport's coverage. Again, it is a 2 hour highlights package from mostly the evening, several repeats through the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lake has laid the ghost of Donetsk to rest, thank goodness. :D Her winning score of 6148 is not only a PB by 67 points, it is also the best score by a youth in a full-bore heptathlon (amongst those with verifiable birthdates anyway, according to Jon Mulkeen).

As expected, Rodriguez and Visser make the podium with 6006 and 5948 respectively.
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dina Asher Smith winning Gold easily, running 11.2's into -1.0 headwinds is insane for someone at her age! Cant wait to see her in the 200m today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great golds from Morgan & Dina. Shame that Dina has pulled out of the 200 - she seems to think she'll be OK for the relay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read the men's 110m hurdles final results - arguably the performance of the WJC thus far!
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read the men's 110m hurdles final results - arguably the performance of the WJC thus far!

Have you seen it? A talented field as a whole. http://youtu.be/MMMlUQpbAI8

Also, Rhys Williams is shocking news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I've the seen the race on Eurosport 2.

When you mentioned RW, I didn't know earlier but I had a sinking feeling about what you meant...sure as hell didn't have him pegged for that.
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you mentioned RW, I didn't know earlier but I had a sinking feeling about what you meant...sure as hell didn't have him pegged for that.

I agree with you that it was the best race/performance of the championships.

This must be why Williams wasn't selected for the Europeans. But he was appealing that decision so who knows.
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed Ashleigh Nelson is no longer running the 100m at the Commonwealths and she's been replaced with Sophie Papps. Anyone know why?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member

It's possible that it's the contaminated supplements issue again. Manufacturers slipping in ingredients without putting them on the label. I read that it's still a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    This must be why Williams wasn't selected for the Europeans. But he was appealing that decision so who knows.

Doubtful in my view. He apparently tested positive post race at the Glasgow Diamond League on Friday 11th, the team for the Europeans was announced on Tuesday 15th with (I understand) the selection meeting having being held on Monday 14th. So the chances of the sample having being processed by UK Anti Doping and the result conveyed to British Athletics prior to selection seems quite remote.
    Mandark wrote: »
    It's possible that it's the contaminated supplements issue again. Manufacturers slipping in ingredients without putting them on the label. I read that it's still a problem.

Or not intended to be in the product at all, contaminated ingredients from suppliers and not cleaning mixing/packaging equipment is the commonest. I believe with Asafa Powell's positive test USADA ordered some of the supplement he took directly from the manufacturers, opened and tested the contents and it contained a banned substance that was not meant to be there.