Options

Yellow warning triangle

TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I switched on my laptop yesterday, a little yellow triangle with an exclamation mark came up in front of the icon for connection to BT. I switched off and left it for half an hour then tried again. Everything was OK. Does anyone know why this triangle appeared? I had a strong signal. I have Avast virus protection, Spybot and also use CCleaner
Apologies in advance if this is something everyone knows about, but they didn't have pocket calculators when I was in school, let alone computers

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It normally means you are connected to the router, but not the internet. It happens to me sometimes, unless it stays like it, I would not worry too much.

If you have left the computer on for a few mins, I am sure it would have corrected itself.
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you ever so much noise. Greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It usually means your ISP is down or you are not connected to the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It usually means your ISP is down or you are not connected to the internet.

Not always, in fact hardly ever.

I have known it to happen when settings have become corrupted on the computer, in fact most of the time that have been the problem.

some computers that have loads of stuff to start up at boot up, can be a bit slow setting up the DNs and Ip addresses and that can give you the problem for a few mins. My desktop did it a lot on boot up when I was running wireless, don't now with home plugs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It actually means you are connected with limited connectivity.

It usually means your computer can't get an IP address from the router. If it's connected wireless it's usually an issue with security; either the security type, or more commonly the security key is wrong.

If you restarted and put it back on what happened is that the IP address was renewed and connected fine. Sometimes routers (or even Windows networking) go funny and need a simple restart to correct it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It actually means you are connected with limited connectivity.

that the one, I had a mind blank and could not think of the name.
    It usually means your computer can't get an IP address from the router. If it's connected wireless it's usually an issue with security; either the security type, or more commonly the security key is wrong.

If you restarted and put it back on what happened is that the IP address was renewed and connected fine. Sometimes routers (or even Windows networking) go funny and need a simple restart to correct it.

Mine did it most of the time when I had wireless, and then it sorted out after a few seconds.

i did start having a fixed IP address on my computer and that solved the problem, but when I reinstalled windows I did not bother.

No problem now with Homeplugs, far better than Wireless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    The reason wireless often goes "limited connectivity" for a few seconds is because it has to conquer more security than a wired connection.

A static IP address (from the computer's end, not the ISPs) will help a lot with wireless. I do it all the time because it makes things quicker, especially port forwarding if required.