Young people 'feel they have nothing to live for'

yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
almost a third of long-term unemployed young people have contemplated taking their own lives.
Thousands wake up believing that life is not worth living, after struggling for years on the dole
long-term unemployed young people were more than twice as likely as their peers to have been prescribed anti-depressants.
One in three (32%) had contemplated suicide, while one in four (24%) had self-harmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25559089

So sad and wrong, and we are letting thousands of foreigners into the country to start work, how can this make sense?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean under 3,000 who were interviewed felt this way. Typical poll results.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Typical head-burying. I wasn't surveyed but I can relate to it all!
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    As someone who as attempted suicide I know there is more to it than just that there will be many problems

Plus I thought everybody was saying the immigrants aren't coming for jobs but for benefits
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Typical head-burying. I wasn't surveyed but I can relate to it all!

Typical surveys though. Just like you see on TV adverts, 75% of 125 people surveyed agreed with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who as attempted suicide I know there is more to it than just that there will be many problems

Plus I thought everybody was saying the immigrants aren't coming for jobs but for benefits

Just news from the shite tabloids.
    Forum Member
    Typical surveys though. Just like you see on TV adverts, 75% of 125 people surveyed agreed with it.

They will also leave out questions and answers what will show there were many other factors involved
    Forum Member
    Just news from the shite tabloids.

I know that you know that but try telling them that

Plus if this report is true they will be unemployed so will all top themselves by next year anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're a good man who looks after your family and you have great strength, i'm sorry you have thought about ending it.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't get enough Christmas presents. I know who to blame, it's those pesky 'foreigners' at it again.
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My four are all doing well for themselves but my youngest is pissed off, they are all over worked because the interviewees never turn up. They just book in for the interview so they can carry on claiming. Some youngsters just really don't want to work anymore......
    Sad times!
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After being unemployed for a long time I am now on anti-depressants for anxiety so I can sympathise. The impact unemployment has on ones mental and physical health is quite phenomenal. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it myself.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i can sypathise, i am on ESA for my mental health/anxiety problems, have been so since 2010, before that i was on JSA, am trying to get a part time job, can't' even find that at the moment, i have started voluntary work to try and get myself out of the house and improve my CV

there are many time where i think about suicide, what is point carrying on with my existence, i haven't attempted it yet but the feelings are very strong, have been self harming alot over these past years

I am also under alot of stress at home, i help my father look after my mother who has bipolar so when she on one of her depressive cycles it is alot to cope with
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering how young people get stereotyped as lazy, jobless and a drain on society by people older than them and the media, I'm not surprised they feel as if they haven't got anything to live for.

If the media stops vilifying them, Government stop pitching policies designed for divide and rule between young people and everyone else plus people drop the stigma against young people, then attitudes may change.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't just about not having a job though. We've gotten to the point where everything costs an absolute fortune, but those wealth streams created are not feeding back to the under 30s. So house prices are now out of reach to many people, higher education costs a fortune, even those in work need to claim benefits because the wages are so crap, yet all the time the media pumps them full of an unachievable lifestyle standard which they get into debt to try to attain etc etc.

There's just no 'equaliser' anymore. The liquidity has been hoovered up and I'm not quite sure by who.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    My four are all doing well for themselves but my youngest is pissed off, they are all over worked because the interviewees never turn up. They just book in for the interview so they can carry on claiming. Some youngsters just really don't want to work anymore......
    Sad times!

I am involved in recruitment too,& I also see this happening. My line of work ain't glam but some recruitment drives are better than others. As a general rule Id say E Europeans tend to turn up for interviews,the British candidates are more unreliable.

Edit: actually Id say v young British candidates are more reliable,its the older candidates (25+) that piss around a bit.
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised. The lack of get-up-and-go and positivity displayed nearly everywhere I turn in the UK is shocking. Note I said nearly.
  • Apple grapeApple grape Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Being young is something to live for
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member

Yes but you don't really realize that until you are way into your twenties and it's starting to be over. Or at least i didn't.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I can empathise with this news, although luckily I am in paid employment. I can only imagine how much harder it must be for those not in work.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it were 30, I'd get your point, 3000 is a lot of people to be fair
  • SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    If that's the case, imagine how more depressed they'll be if they eventually do find a job?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

2,161 people were interviewed. That sample size is easily large enough to be representative of the population.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who can blame them? They're told every single day that everything's terrible and the economy will take a generation to get back to a healthy state. They've essentially slipped through the recession crack.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

it isn't always enough
    Forum Member
    2,161 people were interviewed. That sample size is easily large enough to be representative of the population.

But they could have asked another 100 questions and given other reasons to why they felt like that but only chose to use one tiny bit of info they could even have asked to get that answer

Interviewer> Well aside from splitting up with you partner your dog dying and finding out your mum has cancer does the fact you don't have a job ever get you down.

Young Person> Well yes I guess so

Bang they have the answer they want