Options

Is this swearing?

nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been told on another forum that the word "Knackered" is rude and swearing.

I always thought it meant tired - e.g " I just went for a run and now I'm knackered "

I'm in Scotland if it makes a difference.

Comments

• Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought so.

'Knackered', to me, means tired also.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always thought it meant tired - e.g " I just went for a run and now I'm knackered "

I think it probably does make a difference. There are lots of hills in Scotland so you're bound to get knackered going for a run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so.

'Knackered', to me, means tired also.

Thats what I thought!
    I think it probably does make a difference. There are lots of hills in Scotland so you're bound to get knackered going for a run.

If I run round a hill here I wont be knackered, I'll be dead!
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think originally it meant specifically tired out from sex...but I still wouldn't call that swearing, and certainly not these days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Presumably because 'knackers' is a slang word for testicles.
  • Options
    RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um, no :confused:

As a side note, are damn and hell considered swear words? I know in the US they are but not sure about over here. I've never considered them to be swear words.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member

Ask for forgiveness, and tell them up until this minor faux paz you'd been having a 'blast'.

If they get all apoplectic with rage at this latest disgraceful piece of 'profanity', I'd call them all merchant bankers and then run off never to return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a website that helps in all areas children.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As a side note, are damn and hell considered swear words? I know in the US they are but not sure about over here. I've never considered them to be swear words.

And in the US it's OK to say 'spaz' .
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/knackered

What is the forum FGS, of course it's not swearing.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Babycentre
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I was once told that knackered originally meant 'tired after sex' but even in that case it wouldn't be swearing or offensive.
  • Options
    Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah thats what knackered means. But im in scotland too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member

They were once. Now people aren't so religious, people aren't so bothered about them. Notice how, now we talk more openly about sex, sex-orientated words are considered.....well, less unacceptable? So it is with knackered - I'm old enough to remember a time when you couldn't use it in polite company.

Of course, the whole population doesn't change its attitude overnight - there's a period when you get it wrong when you use a certain word and end up giving offence.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    No I don't think so. I always thought it meant someone was tired.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Knackers (testicles) is vulgar.

Knackered (tired) is informal.

~ OED.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that swearing? Is it ****? ;)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Of course, the whole population doesn't change its attitude overnight - there's a period when you get it wrong when you use a certain word and end up giving offence.
    You only have to take the word "coloured" as an example of that. About twenty years ago it was considered the most polite term to use, whereas "black" was considered very vulgar and abrasive. It's the complete opposite now, but I don't remember any official government pronouncements.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe there's a bit of regional variation? I'm from London and primarily 'knacker' would be associated with the knackers yard so something that was knackered was broken or exhausted like the poor old horses that went to the knackers.
    Knackers meaning testicles was used too - though I'm not sure of the reasoning? Some sort of clever rhyming slang, no doubt.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Merlin's Beard!!

That is terrible bad language from you young lady.

10 points from Gryffindor!!

:p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    You only have to take the word "coloured" as an example of that. About twenty years ago it was considered the most polite term to use, whereas "black" was considered very vulgar and abrasive. It's the complete opposite now, but I don't remember any official government pronouncements.

20 years ago I was 9 and in primary and told "coloured" was the correct word to use, now at 29 I'm told "black" is correct.
    Merlin's Beard!!

That is terrible bad language from you young lady.

10 points from Gryffindor!!

:p:D

Merlins saggy pants!

I thought it was okay!
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Tired, worn out, broken = knackered.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Late 16th century (originally denoting a harness-maker, then a slaughterer of horses): possibly from obsolete knack 'trinket'. The word also had the sense 'old worn-out horse' (late 18th century). sense 2 of the noun may be from dialect knacker 'castanet', from obsolete knack 'make a sharp abrupt noise', of imitative origin. It is unclear whether the verb represents a figurative use of ‘slaughter’, from sense 1 of the noun, or of ‘castrate’, from sense 2 of the noun.

From http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/knacker?q=knackers
  • Options
    sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When something went to the knacker's yard, it meant they were past it, I think knackers as a term meaning bollox, is quite modern. (well, past 30 years or so :) )
  • Options
    sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't read other posts before I posted :O :)