Champions League QF: Chelsea vs PSG - April 8th 2014

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
Forum Member
Fingers crossed for Chelsea to turn things around tomorrow evening and progress into the semi-finals.

This is the thread in which to talk about all aspects of the match. :)

Comments

• Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My prediction is Chelsea 3-2 PSG.

Possibly 3-1, followed by extra time.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a tough one all about the first goal I feel
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant see Chelsea doing it as PSG will score and Chelsea just dont have the strikers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    It would be ironic if Torres scores to win Chelsea the tie. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would it?
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought we established last week that you didn't understand the meaning of irony.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Must I give yet another Alanis quote?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Must I give yet another Alanis quote?

Please don't. I don't want that bloody song stuck in my head.

Ah, too late...
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Please don't. I don't want that bloody song stuck in my head.

Ah, too late...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3zjRcMnRNY

Fixed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »

Much, much better.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be tough, but I just think PSG will have too much attacking talent not to score, and that will really hurt Chelsea, as they don't have any strikers that can pose PSG any troubles, which really puts the pressure on players like Hazard, Willian, and Oscar to be the ones to get them through to the next round (I suppose there is Lampard from the Pen spot as well to think about if they get one or more).

I think it will be something like the same score line again in PSG's favour, as Chelsea have to start on the front foot, that third goal is a killer really (from the first leg), as that puts soo much pressure on Chelsea to have to really go at PSG almost from the get go.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    PSG will pick Chelsea off on the break. I can't see the French club blowing the opportunity of playing in the SF's for the first time in years.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelsea can be resilient, which leaves little reserve for me to say they could pull it off. But I strongly believe PSG will score and counter attack them very easily. Pastore, Lucas,Cavani, Menez (if he plays), Matudi...it's too much to be contained.

3-2 PSG.
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This game against Qatar Globetrotters marks the first time that I'll be supporting Chelski. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    It will be tough, but I just think PSG will have too much attacking talent not to score, and that will really hurt Chelsea, as they don't have any strikers that can pose PSG any troubles, which really puts the pressure on players like Hazard, Willian, and Oscar to be the ones to get them through to the next round (I suppose there is Lampard from the Pen spot as well to think about if they get one or more).

I think it will be something like the same score line again in PSG's favour, as Chelsea have to start on the front foot, that third goal is a killer really (from the first leg), as that puts soo much pressure on Chelsea to have to really go at PSG almost from the get go.

Of course they do, all 3 of Chelseas are a threat, they may not be top tier strikers but they are all more than capable of scoring a goal or 2 against PSG.

People really do swallow the junk that Mourinho comes out with.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    One Eyed wrote: »
    Of course they do, all 3 of Chelseas are a threat, they may not be top tier strikers but they are all more than capable of scoring a goal or 2 against PSG.

People really do swallow the junk that Mourinho comes out with.

That's true. They might not be consistent but they're capable of scoring against any opposition on their day. Eto'o has already scored several goals against the big PL teams at home this season. Torres has scored against Man City and Bayern (in the Super Cup) too. Anything's possible.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not optimistic. I'd underestimated PSG, forgetting how much strength in depth they have. We certainly need to score first to put some pressure on them, if they grab the first it's virtually game over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You make it sound like they have Grant Holt, Danny Graham and Cameron Jerome as their striking options.

Seriously, any of their strikers are capable of nicking a goal or two, particularly Eto'o.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member

I don't buy this either. A 2-0 win would be enough, we can afford to be more patient than that.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy this either. A 2-0 win would be enough, we can afford to be more patient than that.

No, we don't need to throw everything at them from the start, but we do need to get that first goal to sow the seeds of doubt in their minds. I would be very confident going into this game if the score line was reversed. :(
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make it sound like they have Grant Holt, Danny Graham and Cameron Jerome as their striking options.

Seriously, any of their strikers are capable of nicking a goal or two, particularly Eto'o.

Now lets not mention Grant Holt! ;-)

I just don't particulary rate Chelsea's striking options, and seeing as Eto'o has been out of action for a while, it will take him time to get back up to proper match fitness, which might be too long for Chelsea.

Yes, they could still go through (Chelsea), I just don't think that they will that is all, good luck to them though, it would be nice for England, and the co-efficient, if they did make it through.

That is true about the 2-0, but that might be harder to ge than just saying so, but I can see where you are coming from, so no worries there.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can we get any of those in before kick off?

I do understand what you are saying (and can see us doing it) but at the same time there is no point of glossing over things, With the options available to us and PSG playing with a mentality of this being a Champions League final even a fully fit Eto'o at his best its going to be bloody tall order and I would rahter we put that effort into the League and ensuring we get second place
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Can we get any of those in before kick off?

I do understand what you are saying (and can see us doing it) but at the same time there is no point of glossing over things, With the options available to us and PSG playing with a mentality of this being a Champions League final even a fully fit Eto'o at his best its going to be bloody tall order and I would rahter we put that effort into the League and ensuring we get second place

In all honesty, I don't see you getting through.

However, I think that anyone writing you off is being hugely premature. Yes, PSG are an excellent side and the first leg score wasn't great, but an early Chelsea goal and it's 'game on', in my opinion.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    I thought we established last week that you didn't understand the meaning of irony.

It was established 2 months ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Why would it?

Because he's a £50m flop!?!? :confused: