POLL: Options for England from here

nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lots of discussion, but going statistical what do you think England should do?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the poll?
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of the above, apart from pride.
  • BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sacking the manager would be an utterly stupid knee jerk reaction.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Picking players that fit a system would be the most preferable option of the 5.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Well, I voted for the long-term solution: "Address grassroots development and mentality." Still, for the short-term, I'd also go with: "Pick players that fit a system." Sacking managers and pride are the easy answers.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the young players in now ready for the Euros. Play them in the qualifers. They need experience. As much as I like gerrard, the fact is he's 34 so will be 36 by the time the Euro tournament starts provided we qualify that is.
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The middle three options.

- jettison Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard, all three of them remnants of an era that promised so much yet delivered f**k all
    - field a team that works for the game in hand, not being beholden to star players
    - address the issue of how a nation of 53 million cannot produce players with the skill of much smaller countries such as Uruguay and Costa Rica
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Options 3 and 4 would be my vote if you could select multiple options.

Option 1 is a short term measure and doesn't get to the route of the problem that England face. They've had many managers since I started watching football and they've always had the same problem with possession, shape, and being too direct no matter who was in charge. We produce players of a certain type right now in this country and we are lacking others which other countries have in abundance. Culturally we are behind in football terms and that comes from everyone, not just the manager.

Option 2 has to come from the manager. Only he can select players and anyone selecting on the basis of age is only tipping their hat to this country's obsession with youth (the same youths who we will be told in 5 years time wasted their potential and never fulfilled their early promise for England - same as Gazza, Rooney, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard, etc). You pick the best players to fit your team whether they are Pirlo's age or Draxler's age.

Option 5. I think the players try very hard. I don't think lack of passion or effort is a problem but I do think they seem to be a bit worried and inhibited going into tournaments. Past failures weight heavily on them and although they say the right things in the media pre-event (mostly) I don't really believe that they believe them. So passion and effort - I wouldn't worry about. Confidence and being able to express yourself - yeah, I can see shortcomings there. Could they work with psychologists and performance directors from other sports like cycling? Do they do that currently?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    - jettison Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard, all three of them remnants of an era that promised so much yet delivered f**k all

Loads of quarter finals ? Best 8 of the world? :confused:

Quite OK for a desolate cold and rainy island between the Atlantic and the North Sea.
  • DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The manager needs to pick a team that fit well together and play a system he wants to play, not just pick a load of "star" players the fans & media pundits want him to pick. Despite all the stick he gets, I still really rate Rooney, but really this should be his last tournament as a regular starter. Sturridge should be the main striker for us now with Sterling behind as they clearly have the most effective partnership. We need a major shake-up of our grassroots development & youth coaching as it has clearly gone nowhere.

I think the "lack of passion" argument is a load of bollocks. I have no doubt in my mind that the players gave nothing but their 100% in the games against Italy and Uruguay. It's a totally meaningless, knee-jerk argument from fans who don't know what they're talking about and think football is about running around like a headless chicken as long as you're "passionate" (whatever that even means).

It's undeniable we had a very tough group (arguably the last time we did was 2002, when we had a much better team), and we were undone by that one moment in the Uruguay game which completely changed the outcome of England's campaign, which was admittedly due to poor defending. We have been lacking a strong leader to organise the midfield & defense, since Gerrard really hasn't cut it. He's good for Liverpool, but they've suffered from major defensive deficiencies all the same. Curiously much of the media coverage today has made it sound like Roy Hodgson was the one managing Italy against Costa Rica yesterday.
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote: »

Quite OK for a desolate cold and rainy island between the Atlantic and the North Sea.

OK, three quarter finals in the last ten years.

Also, England is not desolate. It is one of the most developed, well-off countries in the World, with a population of over 50 million. Not sure what climate has to do with it but it is not dissimilar to that of The Netherlands and much of Germany and France.

By your logic, Tim Henman must be one of the all-time greatest tennis players!
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    We need to play to our strengths, we don't suit the open attacking football we tried to play, very few teams do. Yes be more positive going forward than we were in 2012 or 2010 but first and foremost an England team should be solid at the back.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizza wrote: »
    Sacking the manager would be an utterly stupid knee jerk reaction.

As is saying keep him without even considering it properly
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Doc Shmok wrote: »

The fact is, we cannot beat a top side.

We haven't beaten a top side in a tournament since 2002 and before that it was Holland in 1996.

We've had a few lucky draws that have pitted us against weak opposition in groups and the last 16, but once we run into a top team we are on our way home.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The middle three options.

- field a team that works for the game in hand, not being beholden to star players
    - address the issue of how a nation of 53 million cannot produce players with the skill of much smaller countries such as Uruguay and Costa Rica
    I agree with all of that apart from Rooney. He still has life in him. The manager just needs to pick him on merit and not just as first choice all the time.

If he's in form then play him. If another player is in form and Rooney doesn't fit into the system then leave him out.
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I agree with all of that apart from Rooney. He still has life in him. The manager just needs to pick him on merit and not just as first choice all the time.

If he's in form then play him. If another player is in form and Rooney doesn't fit into the system then leave him out.

I agree.We played players out of position again just to accommodate the supposed better players. Sven said England players can't adapt tactically and I think that became pretty obvious this last week. Gerrard is used to playing in a three these days and was totally exposed for the fading force that he is. Henderson too didn't play the sort of game he does for Liverpool. Danny Welbeck was playing on the wing where he rarely plays for Man Utd. Then of course there was the Rooney/Sterling affair. Trying to fit two players into one role. Add into that Sturridge not playing up front with a out and out strike partner and you have the entire front 6 not playing the game they do for their club sides and woefully unable to adapt

Roy pretty much picked his best 11 and tried to make a team out of them. For me it would have been wiser to pick a team that were comfortable in the positions they were playing. If you don't think Rooney is as good as Sturridge don't play him and visa versa. If you really think Gerrard is that important then build the team around his needs. Just don't shoehorn players into a team
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what climate has to do with it but it is not dissimilar to that of The Netherlands and much of Germany and France.!

The weather is imo worse here than in Germany and deffo worse than the south of France.

As for Holland ... i'll give you that one. :D Maybe it's so flat and boring you need football as a hobby. ;-)
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people get confused sometimes. We are all so used to wealthy club managers who can shop around building a team to fit a system that we forget a national team manager is stuck with what he's got.
    The best any England manager can do is to take a long hard look at the players he has at his disposal and try to work out a system that fits those players. His job then is to try to win games, or at least not to lose them. Forget the media and the public, if that means boring the nation to death to get results it doesn't matter.
    In this World Cup we were obviously weak at the back, there was nothing Hodgson could do to change that. We should have offered them more protection, and tried to grind out a couple of results. It wouldn't have been popular but we might have lived to fight another day. Instead, we played some bright stuff going foward but got caught out in defence. No disgrace, and if we can find some reliable young defenders to play behind our promising attacking talent, we can progress over the next few years.
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should give the manager, whoever he is, a bigger choice of English players by restricting the number of foreign players in our top divisions to 2 or 3 in each team-whereby forcing more British footballers to play in all the top teams. Unfortunately, European employment regulations would probably make that impossible at the moment.