Options

Almost a 50% lower audience than last year's final - no wonder the show is dead!

13»

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really think they don't get the impact live feed has. I stay at home mostly (part-time job...4 kids..youngest 6..etc..etc) and I would leave live feed on my tv most of the day (not sit and watch, just back ground stuff). I have friends who watched BB, but not the live feed, and I would always be getting text messages/emails/phone calls from them asking for info from the live feed! This year, the 4 mates who did that often, didn't even bother to watch the show once they knew there was no live feed. I think the producers of BB are underestimating the power of the live feed fans messaging their non live feed mates with info, which then makes them rush to watch that nights HL show!

when I put this to Jain (the boss) she didnt even deny it.
    its so sad all those well paid people and not one of them realised the link between the show and the Live update threads.

they only had to look at the night time LUT's..
    some massive row would happen the night after ratings for that show increased it was there time and time again.

I think they assumed the people making the most noise about the lack of coverage basically sat there 24/7.

it was like a baton race there would always be people there to carry on the thread so others could catch up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I blame Health and Safety no booze, PC and the OFCOM on speed dialers. :D
  • Options
    jobieladjobielad Posts: 4,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What killed the show a lot for me this year was of course lack of Live Feed and when it was on it was on late. I also missed the diary room show and especially the qualified psycholgists input (not Judy James - she is a body language expert and does not show any recognised psychology qualifications on her website) I also missed Russell Brand yet again and really am not keen on Davina hosting the Big Mouth format but enjoyed the fact George Lamb presented on his own without Zezi this year. I loved Freddie and feel the show lost something when he left and we ended up with boring boring finalists this year. The pantomime crowd at Elstree do my head in as it is boo boo boo no matter who leaves nowadays except the finalists and agree with most of the comments on here. Bring back Live Feed, the psychologists and diary room. Oh and perhaps if we got rid of the prize money or asked housemates to donate the prize money to a charity of their choice we may see more of their true personalities. I don't know, just my little bit. Personally moaning apart I still would rather watch BB than the X Factor as it still interests me from a people watching point of view. :)
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt if anyone is going to pick the show up, and you can't blame them, the same thing happens every year, the characters get voted out and we got a winner this year who was no more entertaining than Rachel, ok so she had bigger boobs but she did nothing in the house except to conspire with Lisa and co. to get the decent ones out. Still it worked for her.

I didn't even record the final, just came here to find out. I hardly watched after Freddie went and didn't at all after Marcus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    jobielad wrote: »
    Oh and perhaps if we got rid of the prize money or asked housemates to donate the prize money to a charity of their choice we may see more of their true personalities.

I agree with you on that.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    when I put this to Jain (the boss) she didnt even deny it.
    its so sad all those well paid people and not one of them realised the link between the show and the Live update threads.

they only had to look at the night time LUT's..
    some massive row would happen the night after ratings for that show increased it was there time and time again.

I think they assumed the people making the most noise about the lack of coverage basically sat there 24/7.

it was like a baton race there would always be people there to carry on the thread so others could catch up.

I think they did realise the link - why do you think they axed it?

They've had enough of Big Brother. Axe the feed, axe the debate, axe the viewing figures, axe the show. Perfect for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't CARE what you guys think/say, I still think it's the lack of live feed that killed this series of Big Brother.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Veri wrote: »
    Ever since BB3, there's been a large fall in audience size from each odd-numbered year to the next even-numbered year.

And the audience size for odd-numbered BBs has been steadily falling.

We've just seen this year's instance of those two trends.

Next year you will have the start of Bib Brother clashing with the football world cup. If England are doing well that will take more attention away from BB and hit the ratings until mid July.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,677
    Forum Member
    the selection of housemates was not that good. they were all pretty mediocre.

i don't care what you say, live feed would not have given charlie, sophie, lisa or rodrigo a personality worth watching.

freddie, marcus and siavash had potential, but the rest were purely pound-shop contestants adn instantly forgettable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The removal of Live Feed i feel is the reason for such a drop in viewers. It was hard for the casual viewer to get into the show and connect with the HMs. I watched the nightly LF so had a fair idea of everyones real personality. It was amazing sometimes how different some HMs and events that happened during the night, were portrayed the next day on the HLs.

Losing Marcus and Freddie was a major mistake for BB. The block voting should have been sorted out earlier in the series. Yes BB mightnt have gotten the winner they wanted (ala Rachel in BB9) but at least viewers would have been watching the show. Freddie would have been a fantastic winner and i do believe that he would have promoted the show and been a good sport about things. I'm not too sure about Marcus though. I could see him telling BB to F Off.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Garbanzo wrote: »
    I'm not hopeful of another channel rushing to take over from C4 when they can see the figures plummeting like that.

Any station would be mad to pick up a show that's been dying a death over the past 3 years.
    It's been said many times before that it needs a break of several years. Maybe then some channel will give it a go?
  • Options
    straystray Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    I still think that low viewing figures are a lot to do with lack of live feed, the uniqueness of Big Brother has always been that you can dip in and out of it pretty much whenever you like, waiting until after midnight to see them all getting ready for bed is not Big Brother! the live feed of previous years has meant buzzes around the forums when something happened which in turn encouraged people to watch the highlights even if it was just to see how events were manipulated or distorted, that has been greatly missed this year.

I agree completely. The continous live feed was a fantastic draw for me and many others and we, the viewers, were Big Brother. Over the years we have gradually lost control untl this year we are simply viewers with very little sense of being involved at all.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    melaniem wrote: »
    The figs were down throughout the show, not just the final. The public have tired of the programme, the format and the genre.

People didn't turn off mid-series because they found the characters boring. They didn't turn on in the first place.

Ceratinly the case with me.

I've watched every series avidly and began posting here in 2006, but this year I really couldn't be bothered

I didn't even begin watching it. I saw half of one show, which is usually enough to get me hooked, but this year it didn't... I think it's BB fatigue.

I think also that (at the ripe old age of 28) I've outgrown it really. I did see portions of the show and BBLB this year while flicking channels, but I found it so tedious and pointless.

I think it's curtains for BB.
  • Options
    maidmarymaidmary Posts: 4,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What put me off was the lack of interesting hms, only Freddie, Marcus and Siavash stood out for me and it was obvious that they were going to fall victim to block voting which BB really should have done more to counteract.

The lack of live feed meant less "stories" appearing throughout the day on the forums which in turn led to a lack of stuff for the media to report on which in turn led to a general loss of interest for the public.

The papers used to be able to print a lurid/shocking/hilarious event and hey presto that night's h/ls would get people curious to know more about it tuning in.

I think a lot of people hoped that there would at least be more live feed in the evenings, not just after midnight, but there wasn't and I agree with the poster who said the audience just didn't then feel as involved or as though they had ANY control over what happened.

Admittedly, BB has always manipulated to a fair old extent, but this year they totally held the reins of power and we all knew it wouldn't really be a people's choice of winner and it wasn't.

Plus, the whole programme seems now aimed at kids for some reason.