Roy Chubby Brown - love him or hate him?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't think any TV station would have him on any of their shows that had comedians on. He's way more offensive than anyone you see on TV. His 'jokes' are way too brutal to be accepted by any channel. He wouldn't stand a chance in getting a slot with the BBC.
    I would say Frankie Boyle is more offensive. Like this one of his, about Michael Jackson & what he'd do to kids:
    "I'm gonna dress up as a surgeon, I'm gonna do operations on em. Put little cocks & little clitoris's into the palm of their hands, so when I'm holding hands with the, I'm actually abusing the little motherf**kers." Frankie Boyle

And his disabled jokes are more nasty than CB.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Fizgig wrote: »
    I would say Frankie Boyle is more offensive. Like this one of his, about Michael Jackson & what he'd do to kids:
    "I'm gonna dress up as a surgeon, I'm gonna do operations on em. Put little cocks & little clitoris's into the palm of their hands, so when I'm holding hands with the, I'm actually abusing the little motherf**kers." Frankie Boyle

Amazing he always has disabled fans at his tours and they laugh through out, also he suuporta disabled people against ATOS.

Frankie boyle is a character alot of people forget that.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swearing every word does not make someone funny. It doesn't help that his material is catered for pissed-up morons, who will no doubt lap it up, then probably go out and have a fight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Amazing he always has disabled fans at his tours and they laugh through out, also he suuporta disabled people against ATOS.

Frankie boyle is a character alot of people forget that.

Katie Price didn't laugh along when he said Harvey might rape her when he's older.
    The point is, only one of them is allowed on tv. That's because FB knows which jokes to tow the line with PC issues & put an ironic slant on them, like Little Britain does.
  • gopher_uk1gopher_uk1 Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Talentless git I have had the misfortune of meeting in the real world. He is equally unpleasant off stage. Basically he takes tired old jokes, ands the word c**t and that is about it.
  • VideoNiceyVideoNicey Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Chubby Brown at his nastiest.....probably.

4:55 onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4T4soUUjCk

That says everything about him. I changed my mind about criticising him.

Good Lord, even by his gutter standards that's particularly hateful.

I'd expect that sort of thing from an internet troll, not a stand-up comedian.

Some great comments about him on the various YouTube clips are reproduced below -

"As funny as Jimmy Savile"

"Roy Chubby Brown is living proof that nobody ever went broke pandering to the lowest common denominator. The morons who laugh at this would be out of their depth with classic Dave Allen - they'd even be out of their depth with Jim Davidson, for Christ's sake. Brown gives the dunces of society exactly what they want - repugnant racial hatred, small-minded nastiness, bigoted attitudes and plenty of effing and blinding. He's like Derek and Clive without the humour or the insight. Pitiful"

"When does the comedian come on?"

"Absolute, bottom of the barrel comedy for retards"

"I think he got half of his material from drunk hecklers"

Plus, he does sound a bit of a dick.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not my cup of tea. But he's very, very popular with a lot of people.My dad likes him :o There was a documentary about him on E4 a few years ago and he originally started out as a run of the mill comedian but didn't get any work so changed his act to make it more crude and explicit and has never looked back.

He's almost unique in that he's has a big following but never appears on television.

He did have a bit-part in the second series of 'The League of Gentlemen'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGXeF8YlEgw

The town in this series was named after Chubby Brown who's real name is 'Royston Vasey'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    I think it's a case of whether you like him - Royston Brown the person, or his stage charactor, the side most people see at a show. Two different things. He is a very talented piano player though and that alone in my books scores him very highly.
    his name is Royston Vasey (just saying)
  • moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I've nothing against brainless or vulgar humour" - no such thing, you either find it funny or you don't. This is just another tedious 'what is/isn't funny' internet thread. Why don't you start a thread about guitar players next.....
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VideoNicey wrote: »
    Good Lord, even by his gutter standards that's particularly hateful.

I'd expect that sort of thing from an internet troll, not a stand-up comedian.

Some great comments about him on the various YouTube clips are reproduced below -

"As funny as Jimmy Savile"

"Roy Chubby Brown is living proof that nobody ever went broke pandering to the lowest common denominator. The morons who laugh at this would be out of their depth with classic Dave Allen - they'd even be out of their depth with Jim Davidson, for Christ's sake. Brown gives the dunces of society exactly what they want - repugnant racial hatred, small-minded nastiness, bigoted attitudes and plenty of effing and blinding. He's like Derek and Clive without the humour or the insight. Pitiful"

"When does the comedian come on?"

"Absolute, bottom of the barrel comedy for retards"

"I think he got half of his material from drunk hecklers"

Plus, he does sound a bit of a dick.

Yeah, I've always known him to be vulgar and what not, but that comment about Katie Price's son was WAY out of order. It was extremely cruel. As for the ones laughing at that joke, I wonder how they would look back on that time if they ever had a physically disabled child like Harvey?
  • livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katie Price didn't laugh along when he said Harvey might rape her when he's older.
    The point is, only one of them is allowed on tv. That's because FB knows which jokes to tow the line with PC issues & put an ironic slant on them, like Little Britain does.
    Yeah, I've always known him to be vulgar and what not, but that comment about Katie Price's son was WAY out of order. It was extremely cruel. As for the ones laughing at that joke, I wonder how they would look back on that time if they ever had a physically disabled child like Harvey?

Agree with these. Spot on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mooghead wrote: »
    "I've nothing against brainless or vulgar humour" - no such thing, you either find it funny or you don't. This is just another tedious 'what is/isn't funny' internet thread. Why don't you start a thread about guitar players next.....

I've actually hardly ever seen any threads about Chubby Brown on here at all.
    Forum Member
    gopher_uk1 wrote: »
    Talentless git I have had the misfortune of meeting in the real world. He is equally unpleasant off stage. Basically he takes tired old jokes, ands the word c**t and that is about it.

Your next post will be in 2015 then:rolleyes:

Talentless git who earns alot of money each year performing to the public
    Forum Member

Katie price is the lowest of the low people in the uk.

Amazing other disabled people laughed:D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I've got a dozen of Chubbs DVDs. It was an ex girlfriend who got me to watch some of his DVDs. Since, he is apparently so sexist/misogynist, for example, why is it that, his live audiences are roughly 50/50 male/female.

It's comedy, FFS, not real life.
    gopher_uk1 wrote: »

Yeah, OK. I believe you if nobody else does. :rolleyes:
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Hate, hate, hate, hate him.

Given the choice of watching his act or contracting syphilis, It would be a tough choice of which I'd rather tolerate

The difference being is that comedy can't kill you, even if untreated.

And by the way, I reserve the word hate for people like Hitler or Stalin, not just for a comedian that one might find offensive. Perspective, maybe?
  • Gizmo210688Gizmo210688 Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some comedians live and breathe their act, as it's who they are, as opposed to just playing a character, which is what Roy Chubby Brown does IMO (you only need to look at what he wears on stage for proof really!)

I watched a documentary about him a few years back, may have been on Channel 4 or something, and he came across as quite a nice guy. One scene that I remember was him and his crew having a meal in an Indian restaurant, and all the staff wanted their picture taken with him, which he was more than happy to do, having a laugh and joking with them all. I remember thinking to myself, "wow, he's not actually like he is on stage." Whether that was all 'put on' for the cameras as they say is anyone's guess, but it looked fairly genuine to me.

So yeah, whilst sometimes his material is like marmite, in which you either love it or hate it, the man himself seems to be completely different from his stage persona, seemingly very pleasant.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    And by the way, I reserve the word hate for people like Hitler or Stalin, not just for a comedian that one might find offensive. Perspective, maybe?

And how often are they discussed on a showbiz forum?

The choices the OP gave us were love or hate and it's obvious to me that it's meant in loose, not absolute terms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Some comedians live and breathe their act, as it's who they are, as opposed to just playing a character, which is what Roy Chubby Brown does IMO (you only need to look at what he wears on stage for proof really!)

I watched a documentary about him a few years back, may have been on Channel 4 or something, and he came across as quite a nice guy. One scene that I remember was him and his crew having a meal in an Indian restaurant, and all the staff wanted their picture taken with him, which he was more than happy to do, having a laugh and joking with them all. I remember thinking to myself, "wow, he's not actually like he is on stage." Whether that was all 'put on' for the cameras as they say is anyone's guess, but it looked fairly genuine to me.

So yeah, whilst sometimes his material is like marmite, in which you either love it or hate it, the man himself seems to be completely different from his stage persona, seemingly very pleasant.

In the same documentary he was exposed as holding some fair questionable views on race:

"All the Pakistanis and Indians when they go home at night, they go home to an Indian family, to a Pakistani family, we go home to our family - if we went home tonight and there was a muslim sat there, we'd say 'what the **** are you doing in our house - out!' We don't mix. We don't get on, it's as simple as that."

You get all these do-gooders saying 'well they have a right to be here'. They haven't got a ****ing right to be here, we're the onese financing, the tax I pay finances half the bastards. Coming here they have a right for this and a right for that. Well if they have a right, dress like us, work like us, think like us, be like us.

I think his comedy persona is that of an odious, boorish, ill-edcuated loudmouth. Only apparently it isn't a persona.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, which is why I wouldn't go. He was bloody well cruel about Katie Price's son Harvey in one show.

Wasn't that Frankie Boyle?

....or has he been at it as well?

If so, what cheap and nasty tricks these guys have to resort to to get laughs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Wasn't that Frankie Boyle?

....or has he been at it as well?

If so, what cheap and nasty tricks these guys have to resort to to get laughs.

There's a link in post number 7 that shows him saying that the reason Harvey looks the way he does is because of Katie being raped. It went nearly like: "Jordan says she was raped. You're not kidding, you've only got to look at Harvey to see that." Of course, the audience found it hilarious.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was younger, I thought he was brilliant. I had all his video tapes, and I went to see one of his live shows in Liverpool. Over time, I grew out of him and gave the videos away.
    Just like I don't buy Loaded or FHM anymore.
    However, I do still buy (and love) VIZ comic ! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Has Frankie Boyle said this on one of his shows that's been shown on TV though? That's actually what I meant. I can't believe any TV station would allow that joke to be shown on their channel.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your next post will be in 2015 then:rolleyes:

Talentless git who earns alot of money each year performing to the public

From the documentary he did on Channel 4 a few years ago, he didn't seem to be doing all that well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie price is the lowest of the low people in the uk.

Amazing other disabled people laughed:D

I doubt that very much. What he said about Harvey was pure hatred. Katie Price isn't Harvey and I don't think she's THAT bad.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Duplicate post.