Controversial movie opinions

Comments

• necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi was the best film in the original trilogy...

I also think Jedi is the best, it actually has genuine emotion behind it (if only for the last third on the Death Star). I like all 3 films but more for the effects and the world building rather than the paper thin characters and dialogue. It's why I think there isn't much of a difference between the OT and the prequels.
    Dandem wrote: »
    I hate the following critically acclaimed films:

- Titanic
    - The Lord of the Rings trilogy
    - A Clockwork Orange

And whilst enjoyable, I also found Pulp Fiction and American Hustle to be rather overrated.

Really not that popular to dislike American Hustle, there was a lot of backlash when it was nominated for all those Oscars. It really was a dress up movie (though I still fairly enjoyed it).
    ironjade wrote: »
    Also a poor adaptation of:
    Soldier Blue
    The Word for World is Forest
    Hunter, Come Home,
    Ferngully.

Let's not forget Dances With Wolves :D You know despite all the valid criticisms of Avatar, I still find myself rewatching the film once a year. It's a testament to just how good a job Cameron did with the world building, incredible CGI and the motion capture. Though it does help to have a decent HD TV :p
    1fab wrote: »
    The Wizard of Oz is good at the beginning, but I always fall asleep halfway through. Is that because the film isn't interesting, or because I have the attention span of a goldfish? :confused:

Yep, it's simply because you didn't like it :)
    movie 43 was really funny.

I agree. I felt like it was a big trolling attempt by the producers and judging by the reactions the film got, it worked. I actually laughed at most of the sketches :D
    Vol wrote: »
    Probably like the 30th version of this thread lol... It generally just becomes 'Which popular films do I dislike' which doesn't generate any interesting conversation IMO. I'll try and avoid that and say

Batman Begins is the best film in Nolan's Batman trilogy.

To be fair this opinion seems to be becoming more common in recent times - perhaps as the fan base of these movies matures a little. I've held this opinion ever since I saw TDK in the cinema and I can assure you it was very unpopular back then.

Yeah I tried not to create the 'most overrated/underrated' movies thread but I know what you mean. As for BB, I've always had a soft spot for it. I remember the first time seeing it in 2007 when it was shown as a network premiere. I was genuinely surprised at how much I considered it a great drama first and a superhero genre piece second. This was before I was even interested in film and before the mass popularity of Nolan.

As for TDK, it's the big elephant in the room but I do think the reason why that film is put on such a pedestal is because of the zeitgest surrounding Heath Ledger's death. Some people were already writing off Rises because 'it didn't have Heath Ledger'. I still think TDK is the best of the trilogy but only for the reason that it takes Batman to a place that he's never been before. IMO all 3 films have a valid case for why it's the best of the trilogy. I know what you mean about the revisionism with BB though, a couple of people I know changed their minds after seeing TDK trilogy marathon back in 2012. Some people prefer the intense character focus on the hero in BB, others prefer the big ideas and the larger than life villains that the sequels present.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batman Begins is the best film in Nolan's Batman trilogy. To be fair this opinion seems to be becoming more common in recent times - perhaps as the fan base of these movies matures a little. I've held this opinion ever since I saw TDK in the cinema and I can assure you it was very unpopular back then.

Agree! It's always been my favourite and I've noticed that as time goes on people are appreciating it more and more. There's been a lot of revisionist history over the years about BB because if IIRC the best BB could muster was a 3/5 star rating at best from the critics. People hated Katie Holmes at the time and everyone was over Batman so it was facing an uphill battle. It's the only Batman film that is actually about Batman throughout. And the best Batman film imo. The Dark Knight is actually the least fave from the trilogy. If I could put them in order:

Batman Begins 10/10
    Dark Knight Rises 9.9/10
    Dark Knight 9.8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terminator 1 is a better film than 2.

Terminator 3 is better than both. OK have I gone too far :p
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Agree! It's always been my favourite and I've noticed that as time goes on people are appreciating it more and more. There's been a lot of revisionist history over the years about BB because if IIRC the best BB could muster was a 3/5 star rating at best from the critics. People hated Katie Holmes at the time and everyone was over Batman so it was facing an uphill battle. It's the only Batman film that is actually about Batman throughout. And the best Batman film imo. The Dark Knight is actually the least fave from the trilogy. If I could put them in order:

Batman Begins 10/10
    Dark Knight Rises 9.9/10
    Dark Knight 9.8/10

Yeah, unfortunately it did have the spectre of Batman & Robin looming over it. Plus the marketing was next to nothing when compared to the sequels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just remembered another one (and it's a really controversial opinion I hold, Crash (2005) I think is a great film. It now has the dubious reputation of being the worst best picture winner ever. Kermode and the late Roger Ebert got it right though.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing about The Green Mile isn't just that it's tripe, it's that it's three hours of it. It's a pure 'female office worker' film, as are pretty much all Tom Hanks films post his first oscar.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 3 newer Star Wars movies are better than the original 3. The original 3 have some of the worst acting known to man. I genuinely struggle to watch them without laughing.
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't like any film by Quentin Tarantino.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the word remake which is branded around to frequently...if the source material is from a book then it is an adaptation or retelling of the story...not a remake.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I hate the word remake which is branded around to frequently...if the source material is from a book then it is an adaptation or retelling of the story...not a remake.

Ugh yes! This drives me nuts!
    It's only a remake if it takes elements created by the previous film and not the book/comic it was adapted from. Like for instance, if Hollywood made another Wizard of Oz it wouldn't be a remake unless they used the songs and red slippers from the first movie.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,192
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I think I've already aired them. Excuse me for repeating a couple of them:

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) is one of most depressing films I'd seen.

I agree, also one of the most overrated, along with Casablanca. :confused:
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,192
    Forum Member
    Marlon Brando is completely overrated as an actor and is abysmal in the godfather

Yes, he was an exciting new talent when he first appeared on the screen, but unfortunately was totally spoiled, and became a self indulgent, temperamental, unprofessional, overweight slob.

For me, Paul Newman was superior in every way, and had a distinguished career right up until his death. He also seemed to be a much better human being in every respect. Since 1982 the $400.000.000 raised through his "Newman's Own" salad dressing has all gone to charity.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 'controversial' opinion is that opinions are subjective given that we all experience films in different ways based on our background and type of intelligence. What is a masterpiece to one person is entirely dull to another. The Godfather is one of my favourite films but my best friend hates it.

What is not subjective is the quality of the film making, which involves a number of things including cinematography, sound, direction, acting, quality of writing etc etc. Of course people have their own preferences for even these things (some people hate 'shaky cam' some people don't like lots of quick cuts) but the technical skills are measurable.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 'controversial' opinion is that opinions are subjective given that we all experience films in different ways based on our background and type of intelligence. What is a masterpiece to one person is entirely dull to another. The Godfather is one of my favourite films but my best friend hates it.

What is not subjective is the quality of the film making, which involves a number of things including cinematography, sound, direction, acting, quality of writing etc etc. Of course people have their own preferences for even these things (some people hate 'shaky cam' some people don't like lots of quick cuts) but the technical skills are measurable.

I don't actually think that the personal taste view is all that controversial. I think the view that is difficult is the aesthetic view. That is what makes some films good works of art and others not.

You outline the craft approach where it is possible to say what is good cinematography, acting. writing, sound etc. But the question is what makes one film better than another, what gets a film into the canon of quality films.? Why is The Godfather a great movie irrespective of whether your friend likes it or not? You can assess/measure the craftmanship but how do you come to a judgement on its artistic value? I think consumers simply put it down to personal taste, all that matters is what you like.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Batman Begins is the best film in Nolan's Batman trilogy.

To be fair this opinion seems to be becoming more common in recent times - perhaps as the fan base of these movies matures a little. I've held this opinion ever since I saw TDK in the cinema and I can assure you it was very unpopular back then.
    Yeah, back in 2008 I got absolutely *slated* on a couple of forums for stating what seemed the obvious at the time - that TDK was one big, unfocused mess of a film and Batman Begins was a far superior piece of work. With real storytelling, characters having room to develop, better everything, etc.

Absolutely slated by all quarters. But now....it's seen as a more reasonable opinion to have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Ugh yes! This drives me nuts!
    It's only a remake if it takes elements created by the previous film and not the book/comic it was adapted from. Like for instance, if Hollywood made another Wizard of Oz it wouldn't be a remake unless they used the songs and red slippers from the first movie.

Yes, but in this thread, the most discussed remake was Total Recall, which is credited as being based on both We Can Remember It For You Wholesale by Philip K. Dick and the original Total Recall screenplay by Ronald Shusett, Dan O'Bannon & Gary Goldman, so is definitely a remake...
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Some other mildly unpopular opinions:

Die Hard 4 is only beaten into 2nd place by the original. It's far better than 2+3.

Shawshank Redemption is one of the most overrated films I've ever seen. It's just a simple story that's told no better than a million other similar films. Often it feels like a 2-part mini-series on some cable channel that's been welded together.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen is a really great action movie, and far better than the first in the franchise.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Terminator 1 is a better film than 2.

Not terribly controversial. The script for The Terminator is lean, and there isn't a scene in it which doesn't propel the story along. Terminator 2 is bloated and over-done by comparison. T1 is a masterpiece of storytelling.
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    The 3 newer Star Wars movies are better than the original 3. The original 3 have some of the worst acting known to man. I genuinely struggle to watch them without laughing.

I'll see your bad acting from the OT, and raise you...

"You're so.....beautiful"
    "That's because I'm so in love"
    "No...It's because I'm so in love with you!"

ROFL!!! :D
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nolan Batman films are no deeper, cleverer or more profound than the 1966 version.

You could even say that because they take themselves so seriously they are just as silly as the 1966 film as well.

They're definitely a lot less fun than the 1966 one however.
    Forum Member
    I am a fan of Christopher Nolan (love The Prestige) but I too dislike his Batman trilogy. I feel that Batman is too fantastical, especially his adversaries, to try and ground in such a real-world universe as Nolan did. Whether you like the movies or not, I do think Burton's visual style nailed Batman, Gotham City, Wayne Manor, Alfred, the Batmobile and the villains, Joker, Penguin and Catwoman.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, here's a personal view that isn't (apparently) held by too many people - I wasn't a big fan of Inception. In my opinion it's had a pretty standard sci-fi premise combined with an unnecessarily convoluted plot. I thought that the whole "is this real life, or is it just fantasy" had been done a lot better many times before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I am a fan of Christopher Nolan (love The Prestige) but I too dislike his Batman trilogy. I feel that Batman is too fantastical, especially his adversaries, to try and ground in such a real-world universe as Nolan did. Whether you like the movies or not, I do think Burton's visual style nailed Batman, Gotham City, Wayne Manor, Alfred, the Batmobile and the villains, Joker, Penguin and Catwoman.

I'm the opposite, I love his Batman films, but on first view everything else has just been a pretentious mess. It's like he spends every moment behind the camera trying to work out the best way to make himself seem more intelligent, often at the expense of the film. With Memento, it would be a good film, and I can sort of understand why he did the editing technique, but it was just headache inducing and the spit scene was disgusting, and it really put me off the film.

I should try rewatching it, because on paper his films sound like I'd really enjoy them, they just really grate with me...
    Forum Member
    I'm the opposite, I love his Batman films, but on first view everything else has just been a pretentious mess. It's like he spends every moment behind the camera trying to work out the best way to make himself seem more intelligent, often at the expense of the film. With Memento, it would be a good film, and I can sort of understand why he did the editing technique, but it was just headache inducing and the spit scene was disgusting, and it really put me off the film.

I should try rewatching it, because on paper his films sound like I'd really enjoy them, they just really grate with me...

I see what you mean, he can be like that. I'm looking forward to Interstellar though. There was a comment made about The Prestige by a critic, and it resonated with me. The writer said something like "I don't mind watching science-fiction, I'd just like it if you told me first" :D
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaws 2 is better than the original.

At least it was when viewing them as a child, but the opinion has stayed with me for some reason. I prefer watching part 2.

I'm sorry.