Options

RIP James Garner

AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,958
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Rockford Files actor and movie star James Garner has died in LA aged 86. His films included The Great Escape, Maverick and Space Cowboys.

Comments

• Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    AngiBear wrote: »
    The Rockford Files actor and movie star James Garner has died in LA aged 86. His films included The Great Escape, Maverick and Space Cowboys.

Sad news, he was excellent in comedies too, and Doris Day said that he was her favourite leading man.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news, he was excellent in comedies too, and Doris Day said that he was her favourite leading man.

I always thought there was great chemistry there when they made Move over, Darling and The thrill of it all but thought that Doris Day shone more when acting with Rock Hudson, he was really dreamy!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of his most underrated films was 36 hours, in which the Nazis attempt to trick him into revealing the location of the D Day landings by knocking him unconscious and convincing him the war was already over.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news. He played a huge part in pop culture when I was growing up.

The ones I remember him the most:

Grand Prix (1966) - he appears as a world-weary F1 driver. This film is responsible for searing a piece of dialogue on my mind as a kid:

"I used to think nothing could be better than motorbike racing. Three times I am a world champion on my motorbike. I am happy. Then I go into one of these cars: you sit in a box, a coffin, gasoline all around you. It is like being inside a bomb. Crazy, but of course the cars are faster, and that is the most important thing."

Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969) - an adorable comedy western film, which is still a surprise as I'm not keen on western films.

As an actor, he wasn't a stand-out, really, but he was reliable and consistent enough to make his presence in any film a pleasure. He had a great sense of comic timing, too. The Wheeler Dealers, Move Over Darling, and The Art of Love (a callous but funny film).
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    He was no great shakes as an actor but he had that benign, laid-back quality that you don't see very often. Nice summary here from Tim Robey:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10978926/James-Garner-an-actor-of-gentle-gallantry.html