Options

Shobna Gulati: I'm leaving Britain because no one's given me a lead part on UK TV

Comments

• Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    Suranne Jones is the only 'soap' star that readily comes to mind that has gone on and done lots of work since leaving Coronation St, and I wonder if even she would say she has been the 'star' of the drama!, certainly she has been a co.star, but what do you have to be offered to be the overall 'star' ?....... is she hoping for a roll like Cleopatra or something similar!... There are so many actors that would be happy to get any job!, I wonder where here thoughts are?.....

Sarah Lancashire
    Sue Johnson
    Amanda Burton
    Ricky Tomlinson
    Joanne Frogatt

...but yes, they are few and far between.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Sarah Lancashire
    Sue Johnson
    Amanda Burton
    Ricky Tomlinson
    Joanne Frogatt

Davy Jones (Monkees) and Peter Noone (Hermans Hermits) did pretty well after playing kids in Corrie, although I don't think being in a soap had much to do with it !!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah Lancashire
    Sue Johnson
    Amanda Burton
    Ricky Tomlinson
    Joanne Frogatt

Who?!? :confused:

Sadly for Ms Gulati she is far too wooden as an actress to even come close to the success the rest of them have had in this list. The likes of Johnson, Tomlinson and Burton I wouldn't even associate with Coronation Street
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Who?!? :confused:

Sadly for Ms Gulati she is far too wooden as an actress to even come close to the success the rest of them have had in this list. The likes of Johnson, Tomlinson and Burton I wouldn't even associate with Coronation Street

Joanne Froggatt played Zoe Tattersall in Corrie, during the late '90s. Her character left to join a religious cult.

She is currently in Downton Abbey (playing Anna, one of the maids). She has also featured in several tv dramas, including Moors Murders drama "See No Evil," where she played Myra Hindley's sister.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Dinnerladies?

No not dinnerladies. I remember when she appeared on corrie i recalled seeing her somewhere else before. Possibly an 'asian' film like east is east or somrthing
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Sunny B wrote: »
    I take it Loose Women have given her the push then? :p

Yeah that's what I reckon, time to bump the mega thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joanne Froggatt played Zoe Tattersall in Corrie, during the late '90s. Her character left to join a religious cult.

She is currently in Downton Abbey (playing Anna, one of the maids). She has also featured in several tv dramas, including Moors Murders drama "See No Evil," where she played Myra Hindley's sister.

Ah right, I must say I haven't watched Coronation Street in over 25 years!! :o

I don't like any ITV drama either, in fact, I don't really watch ITV at all
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    No not dinnerladies. I remember when she appeared on corrie i recalled seeing her somewhere else before. Possibly an 'asian' film like east is east or somrthing

She was in a few episodes of Eastenders before Corrie.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    First sunita and now Jessie j I can't Take much more upset in one week
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    First sunita and now Jessie j I can't Take much more upset in one week

Jessie J was in Corrie ?
  • Options
    simes188simes188 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    If the quotes are true, she appears to believe that due to her longevity as an actress that she has some sort of divine right to be cast as a leading actor/character in a major drama series. Begs the question why? Does she believe she's the best actress ever of her ethnicity or for that matter of any other? If that's the case its very self conceited and vain.
    I've only ever seen her in Corrie and Dinnerladies (and on Loose Women where she was generally unimpressive). She was perfectly competent, (without being 'brilliant') in each acting role I've seen, but face facts Shobna, your no Meryl Streep. Be grateful for the work you get and stop whingeing. I'm sure lots of actresses of any origin would be eternally grateful to attain and get to play some of the roles you have.

I've only ever seen her in Dictionary Corner on Countdown.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    pothuthic wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I reckon, time to bump the mega thread

;-) Did you see Nadia presenting for Lorraine today? She's on BOTS at 11 aswell.
  • Options
    gladysbachgladysbach Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Actor flouncing off to the USA - male and female, black and white have been running off to American tv and films for years. Must be a special class at drama school - success - money and fame - go across the pond. Of course, that's up to them - they take up residency there, but then return here from time to time for work! The Welsh seem particularly good at that. Cheek. I've been a theatregoer for over 50 years and have been delighted and moved by the superb acting I've seen in our theatres - in London and in local theatres from wonderful actors who have stayed in the UK. Rant over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gladysbach wrote: »
    Actor flouncing off to the USA - male and female, black and white have been running off to American tv and films for years. Must be a special class at drama school - success - money and fame - go across the pond. Of course, that's up to them - they take up residency there, but then return here from time to time for work! The Welsh seem particularly good at that. Cheek. I've been a theatregoer for over 50 years and have been delighted and moved by the superb acting I've seen in our theatres - in London and in local theatres from wonderful actors who have stayed in the UK. Rant over.

And of course there are those who get no work in America either and return as fast almost as they left, usually with some tale of how it didn't quite 'work out'
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She thinks there's going to be more parts for the....uh, older lady in America?

No, they're even scarcer out there. There's more need to be "perfect" and botoxed to to the max on US TV.

Also, I'd say she's a very poor actress so shouldn't get a lead part on those grounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seems to think it's odd that she's 48 years old and never had a leading part and it's automatically to do with her skin colour?

There are 100s of actors who've never had that lead part. There are 100s of actors who are always out of work. 100s of actors who never get that "big break" on primetime TV in a long running soap.

Why does Shobna feel that because she's 48 she should've had something more substantial now? Maybe her talents (or lack of) are to blame or she's one of the unlucky group of actors who don't make the big time. Not everybody gets it.

This woman is so pretentious it's astounding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure Shobna will dazzle us all again tonight with another mediocre performance as the miserable nurse in 'In The Club' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »

If those photos are a measure of her acting ability, she's painfully awkward. Lmao. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blacks make up nearly 14% of the US population. In the UK they make up just over 3% of the population. It stands to reason that there are more opportunities in the US for black actors simply because there are more blacks there anyway. Same goes for Asians. They're only 5% of the UK population.

To accuse the UK of being racist for not giving her a role is absurd and offensive.

Well said. She'll also find she'll be in competition with a lot more actors in the States who flock there from all over the world hoping for the "big break". More ethnic minority roles = more ethnic minority actors auditioning.

Maybe then she'll find out she's not star material regardless of her ethnicity.

She also doesn't seem to talk much about the neutral roles, the ones that aren't specifically any colour/ethnicity and can be played by an actor of any ethnicity if she has the right acting ability.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post Hollyoaks, via Strictly Come Dancing, Ricky Whittle surprisingly turned up in the American sci-fi series The 100 which unlike many has even made it to a second series. It also seems he was in another American series before that.

He was however probably more marketable.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Post Hollyoaks, via Strictly Come Dancing, Ricky Whittle surprisingly turned up in the American sci-fi series The 100 which unlike many has even made it to a second series. It also seems he was in another American series before that.

He was however probably more marketable.

Ricky Whittle played a heavy in NCIS a while back. That's the only other thing I've seen him in from the US.
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    She's not even the lead in this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    She's not even the lead in this thread.

Ssssh, don't tell her that!! :D
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Whilst I would defend her right to say whatever she likes, she is treading a very fine line, How many casting directors/directors are going to employ her after this outburst?
    She is essentially;y ostracizing herself.
    Having never seen her act I cannot comment on her validity as an actress, but this stinks of her simply 'spitting her dummy out' and being desperate for work.