What do you do in the build up to Christmas?

Bare NecessitieBare Necessitie Posts: 109
Forum Member
As the topic says. By this I don't mean the standard things like buying presents or festive food but little changes you make like putting up a shed load of Christmas lights or wearing knitted Christmas jumpers.

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Put The Tree Up And Decorations
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing Christmas hasn't felt like Christmas since my late teens
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut my balls off
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    Cut my balls off

they have a set of 12 for five pound in pound stretcher
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I go into the office an work each day. Like the rest of the year.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Study for exams or do essays.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find the best earplugs so I don't have to listen to sodding xmas bloody records in shops.

I could do with a list of stores that don't play music, Lidl for starters. Any more?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't do christmas apart from buying some bits for my mum and sister, so nothing really.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the people that have answered are anti Christmas.... haha, that strikes me as funny.

As for me, I love Christmas. My build up starts After Bonfire night.

- Start Xmas shopping through November, then last weekend of November get the advent caldendars up. Then first weekend of December is Decs up.

I try to finish wrapping soon after and get the presents under the tree.

I then relax and enjoy the run in. I don't wear festive clothes though.

I buy the Radio Times Xmas asap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Try not to engage in the farce to begin with. Usually get guilt tripped into doing some "get together" just because it's Christmas, but frankly, I'd rather not go.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I put the tree up and buy some Christmas presents funnily enough. Other than that life goes on as normal and I go to work each day. The above activities aren't exclusive to everything else going on.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go to work, walk the dog, cook, clean, all the normal stuff.

I'll go for a meal with people from work, and every year mother-in-law takes the whole family out for lunch. Unfortunately, it's a at a pub where the food is dreadful so it's a bit of an ordeal. No-one can bear to risk offending by pointing out that it's a) awful and b) a rip off.

At some point, I will have to venture into a shop to do the food shopping, and go online to buy something for the hopeless Mr Lakie, who never has any present suggestions, but for me Christmas starts on Dec 25th when we have bucks fizz with scrambled egg and smoked salmon.

Then we cook lunch.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever been on a more joyless forum than DS.
  • bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    hunter23 wrote: »
    Cut my balls off

Excuse me?! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Light advent candles every Sunday, first one was lit last Sunday. Put tree up, decorate house. Change cushion covers, bring out sheepskins and scented candles. Bake. Buy and make pressies, write cards, go to Carol Services....wait for Santa to call round from the round table. Close the garden down for winter, wrap all the plants up in fleece. Hang wreath on front door. Put external fairy lights up outside on garden arch and tree.

Phew...put feet up and enjoy good food, wine and friends and family. Happy Christmas! :)
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    :D:D:D
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Usually take a bit of time off work in early/mid December as I don't get the standard week/fortnight off over the festive period. This year it's this week. I've started my Christmas shopping, tested all the lights, got my Christmas playlist in order and today I'll be nipping to The Range to top up our decorations and lights.

Also, what is it with DS and this anti-Christmas one-upmanship on any festive thread? You lot are like a Monty Python sketch: The Four (Yuletide) Yorkshiremen.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you're right. There seems to be an above average number of really miserable gits on here who seem to enjoy putting others down and not enjoying anything. Thank fu c K I don't know any of them in real life.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because I don't really do christmas doesn't mean i'm not perfectly happy or walk around saying "bah humbug" all the live long day :)

There does seem to be this regular "battle", if you will, between many of those who like and get in to this time of the year and those who don't. Obviously I know not everyone is like it, but for many, there does seem to be this idea that you're basically not allowed to dislike, or not be bothered about, christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I start watching Christmas films from 1st November, I love watching Christmas 24 even though I'm fully aware the films on it a budget movies they have that feel good factor which makes me smile at this time of year!!! Come December I start on the good Christmas films🎅

I also have a selection of Christmas books I read over November and December and add a couple each year.

My tree is usually already up but I needed a new one and I've been too ill to go get it so ordered one online that's went missing so I'll have to wait for that but I do have a small table sized real Christmas tree which smells amazing as well as being super cute!!!

I always buy a Christmas TV magazine and highlight stuff I want to watch or record.

And I have a few Christmas jumpers that I wear over December. They got bought as a joke but they are cozy and make me smile so I love them!!!

I also love Christmas food... Lebkuchen and panettone are my favourites!!! I better feel better for Christmas!!!

Basically I love Christmas... I'm single with no kids but I just think Christmas is magical and it really is what you make of it!!!

Merry Christmas folks!!!
    Forum Member
    boobyloo wrote: »
    I start watching Christmas films from 1st November, I love watching Christmas 24 even though I'm fully aware the films on it a budget movies they have that feel good factor which makes me smile at this time of year!!! Come December I start on the good Christmas films🎅

I also have a selection of Christmas books I read over November and December and add a couple each year.

My tree is usually already up but I needed a new one and I've been too ill to go get it so ordered one online that's went missing so I'll have to wait for that but I do have a small table sized real Christmas tree which smells amazing as well as being super cute!!!

I always buy a Christmas TV magazine and highlight stuff I want to watch or record.

And I have a few Christmas jumpers that I wear over December. They got bought as a joke but they are cozy and make me smile so I love them!!!

I also love Christmas food... Lebkuchen and panettone are my favourites!!! I better feel better for Christmas!!!

Basically I love Christmas... I'm single with no kids but I just think Christmas is magical and it really is what you make of it!!!

Merry Christmas folks!!!

Clinks glass of Eggnog...Happy Christmas to you too :)
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Drink different flavoured coffee (Christmas blend, cinnamon, gingerbread...), use different air-fresheners and candles, eat a lot more...
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Me neither. Bah humbug. If I could afford it, I'd buy them all Christmas jumpers and battery operated light-up antlers and force them to wear them until December 25th.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    Wake up, sleep, breathe, have showers, eat food, drink things, dress, undress, blink, speak, go to work. come home from work..... and so on.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Me neither. Bah humbug. If I could afford it, I'd buy them all Christmas jumpers and battery operated light-up antlers and force them to wear them until December 25th.

:D I think that's part of the problem isn't it? With Christmas particularly, there is almost an expectation that you will participate and that if you don't you are somehow being "miserable" (blame Charles Dickens!).
    I don't mind people celebrating the birth of Christ. It is a religious tradition and I'm not one to poo-pooh that. But then you have some people who would never condone others for ignoring Rosh Hashanah, or Eid-al-Futr, or Holi, but if you fail to put tacky decorations up and have a forced knees-up with your family for Christmas.....oh, there's something wrong with you! >:(